• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,086 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, Dark Knight said:

Everyone trying to cash in on pre-robin tecs to sell.  Can't blame them since prices have been doing very well.  Who knows about what will happen later.

Yes the flood to the market is interesting.  Makes sense as the prices are absolutely insane at the moment.  With the pent up demand if one seeks and has significant profits to gain it is a good time to unload.  

24 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
On 2/27/2018 at 7:06 PM, jgallo said:
On 2/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, Sackolantern said:

and the front:

tec29cover_zpsj7otlsxw.jpg

This was won by a dealer and will be cleaned and pressed.  I hope to see what it looks like after.  

James G

Here is your answer

Tec 29

Wow, that's quite a bit of shall we say "improvement" on this copy here.

Don't you love it when you can still find "unrestored" copies of these almost 80 year old books that have somehow managed to survived the ravages of time to still look so amazingly clean and wrinkle free after all these long decades?  :banana:

Or not so much.  :facepalm:

Just now, Dark Knight said:

Yea was surprised on the grade. Thought 4.0 at best with that piece missing and the staple rust. I knew the spine roll and writing would be removed, had a good feeling about it. 

in it's raw form, I was thinking 3.0 - 3.5. You can still see faint markings of the "Barbara Campbell" on the HA slab scan. Blue label anyhow you slice it. :)

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, Primetime said:

generous grade of 5.0 IMO with that slither of cover missing from lower right corner edge. 

+1

That's probably because they thought it was like Marvel chipping and decided to give it a pass from a grading point of view.  :gossip:  lol

I think it cleaned up real nice. Maybe a borderline 5.0 but it's not like a common silver age key in 5.0 where you can pick from 100 of them. :takeit:in a heartbeat over my 3.5.

Hard to believe the auction company was in such a rush to get the book to market without exploring the upgrade potential before all the Detectives on Detectives got the before pic. 

lf.thumb.jpg.6e4ea79a021697d04a9f1e7b5803622d.jpg

10 hours ago, Primetime said:

in it's raw form, I was thinking 3.0 - 3.5. You can still see faint markings of the "Barbara Campbell" on the HA slab scan. Blue label anyhow you slice it. :)

I actually hate to see names removed from covers.  Admittedly the appearance is improved, but you lose the provenance of the book.  It's kind of neat that decades ago a girl bought this book off the stands and wrote her name on it.  Before the Larson pedigree was a big deal, some collectors/dealers had his signature removed from some books.  Who know, maybe some day we'll find a big stash of Barbara's other books. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I actually hate to see names removed from covers.  Admittedly the appearance is improved, but you lose the provenance of the book.  It's kind of neat that decades ago a girl bought this book off the stands and wrote her name on it.  Before the Larson pedigree was a big deal, some collectors/dealers had his signature removed from some books.  Who know, maybe some day we'll find a big stash of Barbara's other books. 

There was no reason to keep this name but I was concerned it would not come off clean even though it was pencil.  I wonder if it is more visible in person then in the scans.  I thought once it was cleaned up it would be a 4/4.5 I thought 5 was  on the high side, I believe I think the dealer was thinking maybe even a 5.5.  I don't think I would flip this so quickly...

James G

49 minutes ago, jgallo said:

There was no reason to keep this name but I was concerned it would not come off clean even though it was pencil.  I wonder if it is more visible in person then in the scans.  I thought once it was cleaned up it would be a 4/4.5 I thought 5 was  on the high side, I believe I think the dealer was thinking maybe even a 5.5.  I don't think I would flip this so quickly...

James G

Poor Barbara!  Gone and forgotten. :cry:

1 hour ago, jgallo said:

I don't think I would flip this so quickly...

Maybe there's well over a hundred thousand different reasons to flip this one so quickly.   :D

After all, if a CGC 3.0 graded copy could fetch $66K in the CC auction last March, imagine how much a unrestored blue label 5.0 graded copy might fetch in today's hyper drive marketplace.  :flipbait:

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Funny you should mention the collector/provenance. If anyone out there has picked up a run of high-grade Planet Comics (1-20-ish), some early 4-colors, Classics Illustrated, Flash, Batman, Detective... many with the name "Sally Wharton" or "Sally" written on the covers... well, raise a glass to her memory. Those all came from her family auctioning off the comic collection the summer of '14 that they found after finally getting around to cleaning out her house, a few years after she passed away. Aside from the big books, the one that stood out for me was a ..Ibis? the Magician? book that was easily a 9.4 that had her name very neatly written in cursive across the cover. That and an Andy Panda 4-color (blue cover) looked like they just came off the shelf.

sally%20flash_zps1gzpvugi.jpg

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe there's well over a hundred thousand different reasons to flip this one so quickly.   :D

After all, if a CGC 3.0 graded copy could fetch $66K in the CC auction last March, imagine how much a unrestored blue label 5.0 graded copy might fetch in today's hyper drive marketplace.  :flipbait:

Well one would think as a national dealer that you would want to bring such a book to the market yourself and not want to give a cut to Heritage.  I know when I get big books I like to sell them myself so that it bring attention to my other inventory, :whistle:

James G