• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,086 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 4/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, Chicago Boy said:

When is #38 going to explode in price ?

right after I buy one, not before :wishluck:

It already has though :|

On 4/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I agree with Peter that Tec 38 had already exploded in price and is doing very well compared to what about 3-5 years ago where copies sold for a bargain compared to pre-robin Tecs.

Definitely agree with both of you that 'Tec 38 is certainly on an upward trend and doing much better than where it was 3-5 years ago.  (thumbsu

So much better in fact that one lucky consignor was able to get a record setting price on a price per point basis for this copy of 'Tec 38:

det1.13714a.jpg

If I remember correctly, it sold for something like $54K or about $18K per point which was probably about double the going rate when it sold a couple of years ago in one of the CC Event Auctions.  :whatthe:

Although the book does present nicer than its assigned grade, it was also good timing as there were only 2 relatively nice presenting pre-Robin 'Tec's in that particular auction.  The other one was a 'Tec 29 in the same grade which sold for $66K or thereabouts which must have also been a record at the time.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Although there's a definite upward trend in prices, I don't believe they are selling at this price point since they've had a few 'Tec 38's hit the market after this sale.  So, this sale at $54K appears to probably be a bit of an outlier for now.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely agree with both of you that 'Tec 38 is certainly on an upward trend and doing much better than where it was 3-5 years ago.  (thumbsu

So much better in fact that one lucky consignor was able to get a record setting price on a price per point basis for this copy of 'Tec 38:

det1.13714a.jpg

If I remember correctly, it sold for something like $54K or about $18K per point which was probably about double the going rate when it sold a couple of years ago in one of the CC Event Auctions.  :whatthe:

Although the book does present nicer than its assigned grade, it was also good timing as there were only 2 relatively nice presenting pre-Robin 'Tec's in that particular auction.  The other one was a 'Tec 29 in the same grade which sold for $66K or thereabouts which must have also been a record at the time.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Although there's a definite upward trend in prices, I don't believe they are selling at this price point since they've had a few 'Tec 38's hit the market after this sale.  So, this sale at $54K appears to probably be a bit of an outlier for now.  (shrug)

Major outlier publically.  Bob storms sold one soon after for 36k I believe.  Harboring between 8-12k a point since then. I expected this book to blow past this range by now. Makes me think 38 will never be considered in the same breathe as a solo Bats pre Robin Tec. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Major outlier publically.  Bob storms sold one soon after for 36k I believe.  Harboring between 8-12k a point since then. I expected this book to blow past this range by now. Makes me think 38 will never be considered in the same breathe as a solo Bats pre Robin Tec. 

I’m not sold on that. At all.

39 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From what I heard, Bob's copy was initially priced higher than the $36K mark at the start and had been sitting on his site for awhile before being "discounted" to this lowered price point where it continued to sit.  :taptaptap:

Apparently, it was scooped up by an alert buyer and gone within minutes right after the CC copy sold for $54K.  :slapfight:  :takeit:

Since this is only second hand info, I guess we would need Bob to confirm if this is what actually took place or not.  hm

30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From what I heard, Bob's copy was initially priced higher than the $36K mark at the start and had been sitting on his site for awhile before being "discounted" to this lowered price point where it continued to sit.  :taptaptap:

Apparently, it was scooped up by an alert buyer and gone within minutes right after the CC copy sold for $54K.  :slapfight:  :takeit:

Since this is only second hand info, I guess we would need Bob to confirm if this is what actually took place or not.  hm

This is correct.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Harboring between 8-12k a point since then. I expected this book to blow past this range by now. Makes me think 38 will never be considered in the same breathe as a solo Bats pre Robin Tec.

8-12k point in most grades continues to be accurate.

36 and 37 aren't 8-12k point books, not for the time being anyhow.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Crazy auction just ended on eBay a short while ago.  Lot of old comics, lol.  Seller actually identifies that there is part of a Tec 27 (no Batman pages).  But no way to know how much missing.  Was at $100 when I went to bed last night.  Ended at $10611 today.  Wow.  Could easily be worth double that, depending on what's there.  Hope one of you got this, looked like 3 bidders duking it out in final minutes.  I was strongly weighing a bid but went past what felt comfortable.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-8-Very-Old-Raggedy-Comic-Books-No-Covers-Pulp-1930-s-40-s-/392283423936?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

38 minutes ago, mwotka said:

Crazy auction just ended on eBay a short while ago.  Lot of old comics, lol.  Seller actually identifies that there is part of a Tec 27 (no Batman pages).  But no way to know how much missing.  Was at $100 when I went to bed last night.  Ended at $10611 today.  Wow.  Could easily be worth double that, depending on what's there.  Hope one of you got this, looked like 3 bidders duking it out in final minutes.  I was strongly weighing a bid but went past what felt comfortable.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-8-Very-Old-Raggedy-Comic-Books-No-Covers-Pulp-1930-s-40-s-/392283423936?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Any idea if there was a Tec 27 centerfold ?  

"DETECTIVE COMICS # 27 (May 1939) - the next page of your comic begins "Let's go to my den where we can talk safely!" Buck Marshall Range Detective , Spy, and The Crimson Avenger follow. BUT this is the comic that introduced Batman, or "The Bat-Man" in the first 6 pages of its 64."

From what's visible in the pics, pages 1-4 are missing so it stands to reason that pages 29-32 are also missing.

No mention of Speed Saunders, Bruce Nelson, Dr. Fu Manchu, Cosmo or Slam Bradley.

The correct order of Buck Marshall --> Spy --> Crimson Avenger is listed.

I'm assuming he forgot to add "Speed Saunders" because the splash/title page (page 4) is missing, so he didn't know what to call it even though the one page that's photographed is from the Speed Saunders story.

The seller either listed all of the character stories the copy contains, or forgot to list the 4 stories that followed Crimson Avenger. In either case, the centerfold begins with the final story page of Crimson Avenger. 

4 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

"DETECTIVE COMICS # 27 (May 1939) - the next page of your comic begins "Let's go to my den where we can talk safely!" Buck Marshall Range Detective , Spy, and The Crimson Avenger follow. BUT this is the comic that introduced Batman, or "The Bat-Man" in the first 6 pages of its 64."

From what's visible in the pics, pages 1-4 are missing so it stands to reason that pages 29-32 are also missing.

No mention of Speed Saunders, Bruce Nelson, Dr. Fu Manchu, Cosmo or Slam Bradley.

I'm assuming he forgot to add "Speed Saunders" because the splash/title page (page 4) is missing, so he didn't know what to call it even though the one page that's photographed is from the Speed Saunders story.

The seller either listed all of the character stories the copy contains, or forgot to list the 4 stories that followed Crimson Avenger. In either case, the centerfold begins with the final story page of Crimson Avenger. 

If the CF is there seems like a steal at 10k.........

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

No Bruce Nelson No CF. Maybe last page of the CA ??