• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

Hello @rsouxlja7

for a 29 restored I don't think you will pay less than 4-5K a point. Of course overall look, PQ, extent of resto, etc will be factors but that is the ballpark that I would expect today.

There is a 3.0(R) copy that will go to auction in 2 weeks (ComicLink)

Notwithstanding the issues on the cover I don't expect the book to sell for less than 15K.

For a Universal copy be prepared to go anywhere from 17-20K+ a point. Higher if the entry level copy has great eye appeal for assigned grade.

The last Universal copy that sold at auction (Dec 2019) had exceptional eye appeal and went for more than the 20K/point. 5.0@107K

Edited by Gotham Kid

25 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I haven’t read thru the string, so forgive me if this has already been posted. One thing about this quarantine is it’s giving me time to drag things out that I hadn’t seen in awhile.

this is from 1992. I can post the rest if there’s anyone on this string who hasn’t seen it

0FC55B60-8BDB-4CF3-A0C3-2AFF16B604B0.jpeg

CAD1441C-C9A9-4EB9-8BFC-742AC10CAB17.jpeg

0BFB149F-74CC-469D-A37B-B4A41CA3DB4E.jpeg

4256B7A3-4CB0-452A-B354-D75E1824CF3F.jpeg

I remember that issue. Gary Carter did a great job putting the CBMs together. The CBM's and OSPG had all the inside information that was appreciated at that time. (thumbsu Now it's all about what color that label is and what information is on/not on it. :insane:

Edited by Primetime

15 minutes ago, Primetime said:

I remember that issue. Gary Carter did a great job putting the CBMs together. The CBM's and OSPG had all the inside information that was appreciated at that time. (thumbsu Now it's all about what color that label is and what information is on/not on it. :insane:

Yes, @Primetime. Things were simpler back then. I had a Tec 31 and 33 then, but at the time they weren’t held in the same regard they are today.

and how do you like that Scarcity Index? Really, when it came to our estimates of surviving copies back then, our methods now seem quaint. We were all just stumbling thru the fog with flashlights 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, @Primetime. Things were simpler back then. I had a Tec 31 and 33 then, but at the time they weren’t held in the same regard they are today.

and how do you like that Scarcity Index? Really, when it came to our estimates of surviving copies back then, our methods now seem quaint. We were all just stumbling thru the fog with flashlights 

I remember the 33 (Origin) seemed to be more desired than the 31. Every book has it's time in the sun. The Gerber scarcity index seemed accurate with some books and really off on others. I still use it as a reference along with OSPG, the CGC census numbers, and my personal experience. 

19 hours ago, Primetime said:

I remember the 33 (Origin) seemed to be more desired than the 31. Every book has it's time in the sun. The Gerber scarcity index seemed accurate with some books and really off on others. I still use it as a reference along with OSPG, the CGC census numbers, and my personal experience. 

Speaking of 33, the nice looking 2.0 ends today...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-Comics-33-CGC-2-0-DC-4th-Batman-cover-Origin-of-Batman-1939/324121436448?hash=item4b7724a120:g:bMkAAOSw8wheg7Fl

-J.

22 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
23 hours ago, Primetime said:

Especially in the case of 'Tec31 which finished right at the top of the pack in a survey of the top GA covers in a Heritage Auctions survey done back in 2016. :cloud9:

Definitely different from the CBM survey done back in the mid-90's where I was the only respondent to have it in my list of Top 5 GA covers of all time.  :whatthe:

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially in the case of 'Tec31 which finished right at the top of the pack in a survey of the top GA covers in a Heritage Auctions survey done back in 2016. :cloud9:

Definitely different from the CBM survey done back in the mid-90's where I was the only respondent to have it in my list of Top 5 GA covers of all time.  :whatthe:

Did you actually provide feedback then?

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Did you actually provide feedback then?

Yes, it was in one of the CBM issues back in the day, either in the 20's or 30's.  (shrug)

I remember Gary Carter actually sent me a copy of Jerry Weist's Comic Art Price Guide as the winner of the draw for the readers that sent in their Top 5 covers.  :bigsmile:

2 minutes ago, Daveb25 said:

Just under $19k. I was underbidder. Great price. I should have went higher. 

The tape all along the spine was the reason it sold cheap.  This book is notorious in lower grades for having condition issues and all of the recent lower graded copies have had some issue - writing on the cover, tape all along the spine, archival tape...even the 3.0 coming up in CL has Lt. Tan pages and heavy tanning. 

I think a really sharp 2.0 would sell for high 20s similar to an AF #15 without chipping selling for a premium over one with chipping.

4 hours ago, Daveb25 said:

I was the underbidder on that one at hakes too 😩

I know the guy who won it. He might be open to an offer if your interested as I know he’s saving for another book now. PM me if interested