• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

Wow, I find that absolutely incredible. I could have lived with the brownish edges and I think that the inside pages from the back cover scan still look quite supple but the scenario of being the first to see small flakes coming off the bottom or the top of the spine kept all hopes down. Couldn't have spent this amount of money (56k) anyways but wouldn't have jumped on it even for half of that. Very impressive ...

18 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Look at the price on this and its low grade Brittle. got one of those QES stickers that makes me think twice now on these stickers. 15,300 with10 hours left :facepalm:sen1.1316_1.jpg

How can the interior wraps be split and it still get a 2.5?

12 hours ago, Pickie said:

Wow, I find that absolutely incredible. I could have lived with the brownish edges and I think that the inside pages from the back cover scan still look quite supple but the scenario of being the first to see small flakes coming off the bottom or the top of the spine kept all hopes down. Couldn't have spent this amount of money (56k) anyways but wouldn't have jumped on it even for half of that. Very impressive ...

It would appear that some of the other board members here would seem to differ with your conclusion here as they thought this copy here would hit north of $60k even with the Slight Brittle pages.  (shrug)

Especially in light of the fact that in some of the previous CC Event Auctions, they have been able to fetch $21,500 for a CGC 0.5 graded copy and then into the mid-$40k's for the same CGC 1.0 graded copy on two different occasions.  Plus the fact that this exact same CGC 2.5 graded copy had sold in a CC Event Auction about 5 years ago for $42K when still residing in it's original holder:  hm  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/613404

det1.12586a.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Bat-Hound said:
2 hours ago, D84 said:

How can the interior wraps be split and it still get a 2.5?

And QES approved??

Ummmm.....................sounds to me as though the two of you are confusing the CGC technical grade with the entire premise of the QES labels.  :gossip:

Both of the factors which you indicated in terms of the interior wraps and the Brittle Pages are technical defects which goes into the determination of the grade and PQ designations, as assigned by CGC.  As far as I know, the QES sticker looks at the visual quality of the book assigns the sticker to it if it feels that its visual appearance is superior to how a standard or average copy of that book would look like in that same grade.  From this point of view, they take into account things like color strike, edge quality, etc. which are some of the visual factors that CGC does not take that much into account when assigning their grades.  hm

The advantage of the QES sticker over the CVA sticker from my own personal point of view is that the QES sticker at least comes with the specific individual criteria that qualifies it for the sticker, while the CVA sticker is just a generic sticker for any book that meets their visual quality rating relative to the assigned CGC grade.  I always find that individual detailed reasons are better than just generic reasons in this case here.  (thumbsu

As an outlandish example here, if you actually read the reasons for the QES sticker on the Sensation 1, it actually makes sense when compared to this CGC 2.5 technically graded book here:  :fear:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F2%2F9%2F2329355%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Now, which CGC 2.5 graded book looks visually superior to you, although I will admit that Borock apparently came on later to state that this book had been inadvertently overgraded, after all of the complaints from boardies here. :facepalm:

But you do get the idea that copy of Sensation Comics 1 does seem to present much nicer visually than most other CGC 2.5 graded books out there.  (thumbsu

On 4/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, lou_fine said:

It would appear that some of the other board members here would seem to differ with your conclusion here as they thought this copy here would hit north of $60k even with the Slight Brittle pages.  (shrug)

Especially in light of the fact that in some of the previous CC Event Auctions, they have been able to fetch $21,500 for a CGC 0.5 graded copy and then into the mid-$40k's for the same CGC 1.0 graded copy on two different occasions.  Plus the fact that this exact same CGC 2.5 graded copy had sold in a CC Event Auction about 5 years ago for $42K when still residing in it's original holder:  hm  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/613404

det1.12586a.jpg

Accurate data, as always, Lou Fine. Still not a keeper book IMHO

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

00003041650253110745067006.jpg

I would have paid that since i have the Superman 2 D copy. Link sends me 5 e-mails a day. CBCS sends 2 a day and CGC send 1 or 2 a day :pullhair: Iget sick of it and than i lose out on things like this

Edited by woowoo

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Tonight's ComicLink results

Tec 34 $6,800

00003041650253110745067006.jpg

Tec 35 (Conserved) $37,000 ( Well done Brian ! :applause:)

00074921550000291203532001.jpg

Tec 35 $16,100

00074921520000111262924003.jpg

Tec 36 $15,200

00036681625000111203621001.jpg

Except for Brian's 35, the other results look weak to me. Maybe I haven't been paying attention for awhile.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Except for Brian's 35, the other results look weak to me. Maybe I haven't been paying attention for awhile.

I thought the 35 2.0 was a soft price, but the 36 2.5 seemed strong.

13 hours ago, D84 said:
21 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I thought the 35 2.0 was a soft price, but the 36 2.5 seemed strong.

Yes, I would tend to agree with you about the "'Tec 35 finishing on the low side since it was even about $2K under the Overstreet condition guide price.  :(