• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

my last word on the subject (because we are all entitled to form our own opinions based on whatever criteria we choose) is that very few collectors will ague that

tec 33 is not "very important" , etc...

but the reasons folks collected tec 33 "first" (and tec 35 much later), are no longer primary reasons in our hobby (and this is not just my opinion, but evidenced and supported by the majority of the market collecting these issues)... this has been a 20+ year evolution that won't change any time soon... our market has evolved to the point that importance is sometimes overshadowed by other factors (such as cover, hype, scarcity, grade, value, etc)...

now, back to some blueberry cake donuts and coke zero :headbang:

Right now, I'm drinking a blueberry sports drink...if that counts. (shrug)

I think that sometimes, you can throw "cover" and "hype" into the same category. That is not to imply that some covers are not worth the hype but rather that...we do see trends of some covers becoming "hot" as I've mentioned; and I think Tec #35 fits into this category.

While I'd agree that there are likely to be more copies of Tec #33 than Tec #35, I don't know if the same has been true as to how many copies have been available as of late; as #35's seem to be popping up more often now than it has in previous years. Yet even despite this, Tec #35 has continued to sell better than #33; and I don't think anyone would question there being more demand.

Which to me, really brings it down to the cover since we know that the content of #33 is what helped push it past all other Tecs (outside of #27) for many years. To me, a cover (no matter how great) can only continue for so long, to beat another book with a classic cover in its own right, when that other book has content of story that is more important that 99% of all other GA books.

My point being...I think Tec #33 has many more attributes to help sustain and increase it's value in the long-run. Both "cover" and "hype" as you have mentioned, have been determining factors that have shaped the actual prices realized in the market...I just don't think it's enough to continue to support the degrees of disparity as time moves forward. (thumbs u

For Tec 33 to become 2nd most valuable in FMV, CGC and comic grading and placing in slabs would have to end. The origin while important is not where the market is heading. Covers are driving price rises not stories.

If Tec #33 had the cover of Tec #32, that would be a bit more understandable.

But we're talking about classic cover vs. classic cover; only one has the origin of the character to back it up.

Various covers do tend to get hot and that can last for years and years; I don't expect the desire of having Tec #35's classic cover to go down as much as I expect the desire for Tec #33's classic cover to go up.

Lets face it, they are all going to go up. The question is which one wins the race?

The second question is which race?

Overstreet price guide: 33 wins other are catching up.

FMV: No definitive answer posted here.

G.A.Tor: No definitive answer posted here.

GPA (and others): No definitive answer posted here.

Detective33kid: No definitive answer posted here.

Others???

I think we can all agree that 33 is very important and that, at the present time,

29, 31, and (perhaps) 35 have "hot" covers.

Will these overtake 33? If so when? And by how much?

For someone who wants them all and has a budget, the choice of which one to

go for is simple: which one is available at a price I can afford and which I

consider to be reasonable?

For years, the answer has been: none of the above.

FMV excluding i think are 29, 31 (these are very close and probably the other way round) 35, 33, 36, 37
naturally, 28's value probably gives them all a run for their money grade for grade, but that is a different discussion lol

my personal preference is 29...I like it MUCH better than 31...but the market seems to have determined that 31 is the "most" desirable tec comic (outside of 27, which due to price reasons, doesn't often get comparisons)...therefore, personal preference aside, I have to concede that 31 is "better" , even though to me, 29 blows it away...I assume I am in the minority on this, but that is irrelevant (shrug)

FMV excluding i think are 29, 31 (these are very close and probably the other way round) 35, 33, 36, 37
naturally, 28's value probably gives them all a run for their money grade for grade, but that is a different discussion lol

my personal preference is 29...I like it MUCH better than 31...but the market seems to have determined that 31 is the "most" desirable tec comic (outside of 27, which due to price reasons, doesn't often get comparisons)...therefore, personal preference aside, I have to concede that 31 is "better" , even though to me, 29 blows it away...I assume I am in the minority on this, but that is irrelevant (shrug)

If you included 28 then I think it would be

31, 29 (swapped it round for Gator), 28, 35, 33, 36, 37

Lets face it, they are all going to go up. The question is which one wins the race?

agreed, I have yet to see any price pull back on Batman covered, pre robin Tecs...even the non bat covered tecs seem to be consistent, though not 100% in the upward direction...

The second question is which race?

Overstreet price guide: 33 wins other are catching up.

FMV: No definitive answer posted here.

FMV there is a definitive answer (well, kind of)

grade for grade, Tec 29 and 31 sell almost neck and neck, followed by Tec 35, followed by tec 33, followed by 36 and then 37 (I left non bat covers out)...

FMV conclusion would seem to point to 31 as probably "winning" the race, but 29 is almost interchangable at this point

G.A.Tor: No definitive answer posted here.

I personally like the combination of 2nd bat cover, and scarcity, to propel tec 29 over tec 31 to the finish line...so there is my definitive answer...

I rank bat covers, value wise as : 27,29,31,35,33,36,37... (thumbs u

GPA (and others): No definitive answer posted here.

since many many of these books sell privately, GPA will never fully capture the market... I will be submitting a lot of sales of tec 27,29,31,33,35, 36 and 37 (as well as others) to GPA, and that will help clear the picture up...maybe I am fortunate to have a lot of sales info the public doesn't (shrug)

but, if you review gpa, tec 31 is the winner, followed by 29, then 35, then 33

Detective33kid: No definitive answer posted here.

Others???

Imran has posted and echos my sentiment...I believe 1koko and Andre and Primetime and Ronaldo, etc are well qualified to comment (as having put the entire run together)... I think folks on the boards know that I have bought and sold more pre robin tecs than any active member of the boards (and no I don't count metro, heritage , clink , they have all sold more than me, but I don't consider them "active" posters like most of us)

I think we can all agree that 33 is very important and that, at the present time,

29, 31, and (perhaps) 35 have "hot" covers.

Will these overtake 33? If so when? And by how much?

31 is very cover driven, 29 is scarcity and cover driven, 35 is scarcity, cover AND what only primetime has pointed out, SPLASH page driven (the best bat splash page there is, imo)... now, that said, much like the 33's origin story, the 35 splash is only a factor as far as folks "know" it is there, but can't see it lol

For someone who wants them all and has a budget, the choice of which one to

go for is simple: which one is available at a price I can afford and which I

consider to be reasonable?

For years, the answer has been: none of the above.

when I figure put my run together, you know the issue I bought first... tec 33...not because I thought it was the best or whatever (I do love it), but because it was the most readily available copy in the market (and still is today)... there is more supply at current prices than demand for 33, when compared to the other "3"...

grade for grade, Tec 29 and 31 sell almost neck and neck, followed by Tec 35, followed by tec 33, followed by 36 and then 37 (I left non bat covers out)...

FMV conclusion would seem to point to 31 as probably "winning" the race, but 29 is almost interchangable at this point

I have to agree that in the long run a 29 is better than a 31, scarcity will win out in the end.

I have to agree that in the long run a 29 is better than a 31, scarcity will win out in the end.

:foryou:

+1 (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

hm, maybe I am not in the minority afterall... come on folks, what say you...29 or 31 (shrug)

+1 (thumbs u

hm, maybe I am not in the minority afterall... come on folks, what say you...29 or 31 (shrug)

Im with you on that 29 over 31 any day for me, but what do i know cause id take 35 over both those 2 if i had the choice

I would agree.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I think #33 is still the #2 Batman Tec according to FMV. I realize, as Rick said, that it lost that spot years ago and has since been trailing behind 29, 31 and probably 35 at this point in time.

I feel that the Origin should command a greater demand but the market is not what it used to be. I don't know if it's possible for me to be "old school" in my 20's but I suppose anything is possible. (thumbs u

It is just my opinion (and I realize I might be in the minority with this) that Tec #33 should at least be more valuable than 35, if not 29 or 31.

I don't know if it will ever surpass 29 or 31 but I think 35 is a likely possibility down the road.

But the fact that Tec #33 is sitting in the spot that it is today, IMO, made it possible for me to pick up a copy and I am VERY thankful for that.

To each his own. :foryou:

+1 (thumbs u

If I HAD to choose and they were in equal condition, I'd probably go with Tec #29.

I think that 31 has the "greater" cover but I've taken a personal liking to the dark and gothic tone of 29's cover.

I love both stories and both issues sport the first appearences of some pretty cool villains. But with the scarcity taken into account combined with the fact that 29 is both the 3rd app. of Batman and the 2nd cover...I'd give a slight nod to Tec #29.

I feel that the Origin should command a greater demand but the market is not what it used to be. I don't know if it's possible for me to be "old school" in my 20's but I suppose anything is possible. (thumbs u

Just as a doctor doesn't need to have cancer to treat it effectively, neither does one need to be old in order to be old school. ;)

Edited by Mac Man

Unlike SA, I am driven by covers (over stories) in GA. CGC slabbing further supports this as big GA keys almost need to be slabbed (unless traded within trusted circles) whenever premium money is exchanged..That said, two years ago I owned a beauty Tec 33 CGC 4.5 ow/w, which I've posted many times...The yellow cover, full wing span, gun holster were and is still awesome :cool: --however, I rarely thought of the Origin pages whenever I looked at the book...I had owned a 35 and 37 at the same time, but I really wanted a 31 and 29 (in that order). I was willing to trade or sell my 33 to get a 31 but no takers. :( Hindsight 20/20 a board member thought about trading his blue 3.5 #29 straight across for my 33. I should have done that trade but it never happened as I preferred a certain Timely over the 29. I could not get more than 1.5x offers for my 33, whereas the 31 and 29 were moving at 2.0-2.5x on average. In due time, 29 and 31 should be priced the same grade for grade in guide and true FMV. The covers of 29 and 31 alone keep driving demand and there is no supply to fill the needs of all want lists. 33 wont slip in FMV but most Pre Robin die hards would rather pay strong for a 29 or 31 over a 33. We already see 4-5x being paid for 35s. And yes, CGC slabbing is pushing for "covers only" collectors and further price pushing for 29s, 31s, Suspense 3s, etc. Bottom line, one must collect what they like #1, but the reality is FMV is higher for 29s/31s/35s than 33s. Pre Robins :cloud9:

Edited by Primetime

no way. 29 blows a 38 away. that's truth. (thumbs u In fact 33 and 38 are in the same boat---priced higher than 29, 31, and 35--but FMV is much much lower.

no way. 29 blows a 38 away. that's truth. (thumbs u In fact 33 and 38 are in the same boat---priced higher than 29, 31, and 35--but FMV is much much lower.
:idea: read the post first...who mentioned anything about a 38 lol

I won these two books from Heritage just before we see the $$ multiples for these books,,

The Detective # 31 was from the Feb/2005 auction and paid $6325.00 including the buyers premium..

The Detective # 35 was from the May/2006 auction and paid $5377.50 including the buyers premium..

I'm glad I won them when I did as today these books would be way out of my price range..

file0208.jpg

File0302.jpg