• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, since I am a deadly slow writer, I will simply copy and paste a post which I had written sometime last week that kind of speaks to this question you are asking here.  I have to apologize in advance for the wall of words, so you can simply skip to the next post if you don't want to read it all:

It should be pointed out, however, that the opinion which I had expressed above is based upon my own personal preference for not buying books when they are hot, and instead, trying to buy them when they are slightly out of favor and even more so, when they are seemingly starting to wake up from an extended slumber and hopefully about to go on a long overdue upwards ride.  hm

Of course everybody's different as I have always been a long-term collector who doesn't mind holding onto my books for an extended period of time.  Probably would not work for many of today's generation of collectors/investors/speculators who seems red hot to buy in on a particular hot book, but only hoping to discard it 6 months later for the next hottest trend.  (shrug)

I guess as the old saying goes: To each, their own.  (thumbsu

I typically hold onto most of them for a really long time.  Especially those that are that expensive as I may not be able to buy them again.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:03 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Tec 29 will close at 45-50K or thereabouts

On 3/17/2017 at 2:13 PM, Gotham Kid said:

If the 3.0 ends up at 25K I'd figure it'd be a fair price. (8K/point)

Since it's now the closing day for the Detective's, any changes to your predictions here, and what would be your guess for the closing price on that beautiful looking CGC 3.5 graded copy of Detective 1 which still seems to be running a bit low at this late point in the auction:  hm

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=697754

I will also go completely against my character and make a bold prediction and say that the 'Tec 38 will indeed hit the $25K mark.  Especially since this would represent a drop from the last 'Tec 38 auction on CC where a CGC 4.0 copy was able to fetch $35K, or $8,750 on a price per point basis.  I don't see prices dropping for these pre-Robin 'Tec's or for the Batman keys yet in this current hot market, and still see them continuing their upwards climb to varying degrees in the foreseeable future:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=676931

Ok, maybe my prediction wasn't so bold since it's already at $25K.  lol   Not sure if this book will see any additional action during the extended bidding time period though, but I tend to believe this particular copy just may have a chance to crack the $30K mark.  Especially since it just seems to present so much nicer than its designated grade of 3.0.  :cloud9:

As for your prediction for the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 29, I can certainly see $45K for this book, but not so sure about cracking the $50K mark.  This would represent a pretty sizeable increase on a price per point basis when measured against the last copy that sold for just over $40K for a 3.5 graded copy.  Although this particular 3.0 copy in the current CC auction definitely presents much nicer from strictly a eye appeal point of view:   :luhv:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=684452

I guess it's just a matter of waiting a few more hours to see what happens.  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, rainmaker said:

the thing about prerobins is that they are the perfect storm of age, rarity, cover appeal and of course batman.  as long as there is a comic book hobby these will remain the kings of the jungle. 

if you are sitting on the sideline expecting the bottom to drop out you will never own a copy.

And add to the perfect storm: pre-Robin, after which launched Batman's descent into frivolity. (Sorry Robin fans.)

47 minutes ago, rainmaker said:

where do you guys think the 2.0 36 will finish?  seems the sky is the limit these days but the sky in this case is 10k.  doubt it breaks that...

Well, since it's already at $9K, I would say that it has a half decent shot of hitting the $10K mark.

I will say, however, that the book is already at a pretty strong price, considering that the last copy sold in the December 2016 CC auction was a CGC 4.5 graded copy and sold for just under $18K, or at a price per point of only $4K.  So, to top $10K would be a pretty healthy increase in price in such a short period of time, but you never know in today's ultra hot market.  (shrug)

I have watched over the last 5 years these books go nuts.  I have sold some copies and shortly after I have regretted it.  I will try to hold onto what I have and add as quickly as possible on all the pre robin bats covers.  I have 27-30 so the rare issues are taken care of now I just need to deal with the big guns of 31 and 35 while also trying to maintain other collections and a comic business.....

It's hard to really know when to sell and when to hold, but for the most part I don't plan on selling any of the copies I have now unless I have a replacement.

I think it's hard for people to adjust to the market changes especially when a few years ago you could have owned the book for say 25% of what it is going for now.  I don't have that problem I just adjust to the new sales, only thing I try not to do is set the top price.

James G

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I will also go completely against my character and make a bold prediction and say that the 'Tec 38 will indeed hit the $25K mark. 

If it stays there, I will win it. Unlikely though as it looks like it will crack 30 indeed.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, rainmaker said:

where do you guys think the 2.0 36 will finish?  seems the sky is the limit these days but the sky in this case is 10k.  doubt it breaks that...

I sold a nice 3.0 last year for 7500 I think...c'est la vie

21 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I sold a nice 3.0 last year for 7500 I think...c'est la vie

doh!    I paid $8500 for my 2.0 #36 (now 2.5 after removing extra staples) last April. Either I paid too much or you sold cheap. 

I bet you're mistaken on that price if it was a nice 3.0 #36. I could see a nice 3.0 #37 last year selling for that.

Edited by lhcomics

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I will also go completely against my character and make a bold prediction and say that the 'Tec 38 will indeed hit the $25K mark. 

If it stays there, I will win it.

Shouldn't you be more interested in the pre-Robin's like that equally nice looking 'Tec 29, instead of this one featuring the first appearance and origin of Batman's "love toy", even though it is most definitely a key book in DC's overall historical scheme of things?  lol

Unfortunately though, it looks like you might just have to go a bit higher than the current $25K if you want to snag this copy of 'Tec 38.  Especially since a couple of boardies had already made some very positive comments on this particular copy, especially from a visual eye appeal point of view.  :luhv:

Remember not to fall asleep and to set your alarm as I believe these Detective's might be ending in the middle of the night where you are, especially with the extended bidding process in place.  You wouldn't want to be caught napping at the wrong time here.  zzz

Seriously though, sincere best wishes on winning this one though, since I know how much you love these pre-Robin Detective's, even though this one does featured Robin on the front cover.  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

doh!    I paid $8500 for my 2.0 #36 (now 2.5 after removing extra staples) last April. Either I paid too much or you sold cheap. 

I bet you're mistaken on that price if it was a nice 3.0 #36. I could see a nice 3.0 #37 last year selling for that.

no mistake...I sold the nice 2.5 to bmoretoys 2 years ago, and the 3.0 last year to a good customer...I sell relative to my cost many times, not always full market :)

38 minutes ago, woowoo said:

#29 66k for a 3.0

#38 54k for a 3.0 

Storms' 38 3.0 went faster than a speeding bullet after tonight's result. :frown:

Edited by Gotham Kid