• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

I expected to see a bunch of posts here commenting/analyzing the CC hammers of the #29 and 38.  

I suppose everyone is as speechless as I am.  If I sold my wife and kids, they wouldn't bring enough $$$ to buy one of these... (and my kids are cute and the wife is still pretty hot...  wouldn't be selling damaged goods here...)

i was the underbidder of the #35.  But, even that went quite a bit over what I expected (considering there has been a lesser copy on eBay for $3750 for awhile...)

On 2017-03-02 at 10:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Is it just me or does the 3.0 copy in the CC auction appear to be quite a bit nicer from just a front cover visual point of view, as compared to the CGC 3.5 graded copy posted up above?  hm  (shrug)

Dude, you've talked about the 3.0 copies on CC for weeks now. If you really want to know, just spend the $10 or $12 and buy the grading notes and you'll know exactly why they graded the way they did.  :makepoint:

I'm even more happy now with my 29 3.5 purchase last Dec.

The 29 3.0 that sold tonight has been discussed how the eye appeal is off the charts for the grade but I've wondered if at some point it had color touch removed. I notice a lot of white at bottom 3" of spine and the long white streak in the middle of Batman that mostly on the black of the cape. The line on the cape almost blends in and can be easily overlooked.

58d329ab5a570_Detective29CGC3.0Soldcomicconnect3-201766K.jpg.efc4ebb9028b4b25a94f53ef150db7e8.jpg

On 2017-03-16 at 4:38 PM, showcase22gr1959 said:
On 2017-03-16 at 4:24 PM, Gotham Kid said:

In the current CGC tape stance,  I've never seen a 2.0 attached with tape in a 2.0 blue holder. Good detective work Gotham. So the CL 27 copy should receive a 2.0 label if regarded possibly....since both the 36 and 27 looks so comparable.

It's hard to say whether the staples are holding onto the cover at all, as they are off center. It is possible to have a split cover and still have paper holding at one or both staples.

23 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe that these books will always remain hot.

It's always cyclical. There was a time when they weren't hot. And then they were. And then they cooled. And now they're hot again.

My guess is if /when the Fed starts raising interest rates prices will level off and possibly even pull back on many collectibles.

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:
12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Did this sale just take place or was announced today. ???

It's showing as still available...is it?

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's always cyclical. There was a time when they weren't hot. And then they were. And then they cooled. And now they're hot again.

My guess is if /when the Fed starts raising interest rates prices will level off and possibly even pull back on many collectibles.

Fed just raised rates but i do get and agree with your point that low interest rates have fueled the collectible markets surge, i remember hassling with the metro about a raw 38 they had that was a 3.0 to 3.5 for 12 or so just 2-3 years ago and i didnt want to pay that much, i guess someone got a deal with storms copy tonight?

1 hour ago, Doc67 said:

I expected to see a bunch of posts here commenting/analyzing the CC hammers of the #29 and 38.  

I suppose everyone is as speechless as I am. 

What the frack happened here!!!  :whatthe:

I go away for a few hours to pick up the kids from work and to make dinner for the family, and I come back to this insanity here.  :screwy:

I sincerely hope that whoever brought these 2 books here not only purchased the Graders' Notes, but actually saw the 2 books in actual real life.  That's a lot of moolah to be dishing out for a couple of relatively "lower" graded early 'Tec books.  Yes, they are both definitely super key books, but that's still way up there and over 4X condition guide for each of them.  And obvious record breakers by a huge margin in terms of prices realized on a Price Per Point basis for these 2 books.  :blush:

From the simple fact that both of the final results are ending in $10 which is kind of odd makes me think that both of these books were won by the same one bidder.  Maybe he saw some upgrade potential here since both copies appeared to present really nicely from a strict eye appeal point of view, relative to their grades.   

:idea:  Maybe we should all demand lower grades from CGC going forward, relative to how a book appears since this could become the latest hot new strategy to get top dollars for your books.  hm  :whee:lol

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, woowoo said:

#29 66k for a 3.0

#38 54k for a 3.0 

Storms' 38 3.0 went faster than a speeding bullet after tonight's result. :frown:

If Bob was paying any attention at all to the CC auction for these 2 books, he probably simply "brought" the 'Tec 38 for himself since it was still available on his website only a couple of short hours ago.  (shrug)

Maybe it'll be reappearing on his website in a few months from now, but at something like much closer to $60K now.  :devil:

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Dude, you've talked about the 3.0 copies on CC for weeks now. If you really want to know, just spend the $10 or $12 and buy the grading notes and you'll know exactly why they graded the way they did.  :makepoint:

Since I do not breathe the same rarefied air that some of you big wheeler dealers breathe and have absolutely no chance of ever making these kinds of purchases, I was hoping that if I mentioned it often enough, one of you big shots would take pity on the small saps like us by sharing the Graders' Notes gratis with us.  :baiting:

After all, if we can barely afford the $15 bucks for the Graders' Notes, how in the world do you expect us little guys to even imagine coming up with $120K+ for both of these books here.  I guess we can come up with some type of sharing agreement here if you agree to pick up the $120K while one of us dig deep into our pockets to scrape out the remaining $20 owing.  :wink:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Certification #: 1419502001
Title: Detective Comics
Issue: 29
Issue Date: 7/39
Issue Year: 1939
Publisher: D.C. Comics
Grade: 3.0
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Label Text: Tape on interior cover.
Grade Date: 08/25/2016
Category: Universal
Art Comments: Gardner Fox and Jerry Siegel stories
Bob Kane, Joe Shuster and
Jim Chambers art, Bob Kane cover
Key Comments: 2nd Batman cover.
1st appearance of Dr. Death.
Part one of two part story.
Grader Notes: heavy subscription crease front cover
light subscription crease back cover
moderate piece out bottom of spine
re-attached with tape top of staple
wear spine

Certification #: 1399085001
Title: Detective Comics
Issue: 38
Issue Date: 4/40
Issue Year: 1940
Publisher: D.C. Comics
Grade: 3.0
Page Quality: CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
Label Text: Tape on interior cover & centerfold.
Grade Date: 07/14/2016
Category: Universal
Art Comments: Bill Finger & Jerry Siegel story
Fred Guardineer & Jack Lehti art
Bob Kane & Jerry Robinson cover & art
Key Comments: Origin & 1st appearance of Robin
( Grayson).
Grader Notes: detached centerfold
moderate tanning interior cover
multiple crease full right of front cover
multiple crease full top of back cover
multiple crease left bottom of back cover
multiple tape centerfold
multiple tape interior cover
small, multiple piece out full right of interior
spine stress lines
split top of spine

40 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If Bob was paying any attention at all to the CC auction for these 2 books, he probably simply "brought" the 'Tec 38 for himself since it was still available on his website only a couple of short hours ago.  (shrug)

Maybe it'll be reappearing on his website in a few months from now, but at something like much closer to $60K now.  :devil:

This is a pretty offensive post for you to write and frankly don't find it funny.  I was paying attention to the auction but the book sold to a customer for full price.  The book has been up for sale for months and been at shows.  As with the current AF #15 "frenzy" I'm not sure why it takes a auction to "Validate" a sellers price.  The scummy thing to do would have been to raise the price on each bid increase.  I'm sure you would have had a field day with me if I was doing that.    

Edited by blazingbob

20 minutes ago, blazingbob said:
55 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This is a pretty offensive post for you to write and frankly don't find it funny.  I was paying attention to the auction but the book sold to a customer for full price.  The book has been up for sale for months and been at shows.  As with the current AF #15 "frenzy" I'm not sure why it takes a auction to "Validate" a sellers price.    

Extremely sorry Bob, as you are indeed 110% right with respect to your comments about my offensive post here.  :foryou:

I really should have taken more time to imply that I was making a very poor attempt at trying to make a joke here.  Especially since I have heard nothing but good things about you and all of your dealings with your customers.  :golfclap:

Definitely my bad as the euphoria with some of these extremely high prices are rather hard to comprehend and made me type faster than I was thinking.  (tsk)

My sincerest apologies again!!!

-Lou

Edited by lou_fine

Pre-Robin Tecs have always been hot since I started collecting these issues, but not this hot.  I certainly hope that these prices won't stick in the long run until I complete my run again :insane:  It's definitely a seller's market right now. Great timing to sell major keys I guess...

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

t

Did this sale just take place or was announced today. ???

It's showing as still available...is it?

Indeed it is. Weird. It was certainly marked as sold, removed from Metro site but back again. (shrug)

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
10 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Indeed it is. Weird. It was certainly marked as sold, removed from Metro site but back again. (shrug)

Maybe buyer backed out?

I would think buyers at that level don't F around but maybe you're right or maybe just a false move (IT wise) by the staff at Metro.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I was paying attention to the auction but the book sold to a customer for full price.  The book has been up for sale for months and been at shows.

For me it was a nicer looking copy than the CC copy, regardless of the tear. :frown:

Congrats on sale Robert. I tried, I lost. C'est la vie.

Edited by Gotham Kid