• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2017 at 7:14 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 9/15/2017 at 7:10 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Let's try this:  List  the Pre-Robin Tec books (27-38)  based on IMPORTANCE

38 is not a preRobin :baiting:O.o

Well, since you guys brought up the topic of 'Tec 38, any thoughts on this CGC 4.0 graded copy that will be coming up in HA November's auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-38-dc-1940-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7169-85001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

First nice copy of a 'Tec 38 to make its way into the marketplace since March when CC managed to hit a grand slam with the $54K for their nicely presenting CGC 3.0 grade copy:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676931&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

Do you think the HA 4.0 copy will be able to beat the record price that CC managed to obtained on their CGC 3.0 graded copy?  hm  :taptaptap:

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not the prettiest 4.0 for sure but it will surpass the 54K, but not by a huge margin.

This one went cheap in comparison (Dec 2016)

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=686230

:whatthe: over 54k I thought I still had my unrestored vg+ last year and the wife said I traded it for a junk motorcycle in the late 80's :makepoint:  I would go thru my boxes but I think they only have 12 cents to 35 cents book's like Spider-Man 35 and up stuff.

Edited by woowoo

On 9/15/2017 at 9:10 AM, Chicago Boy said:

28/29 - 2nd app vs 2nd cover.  Equally impt imho.

37 minutes ago, Doc67 said:
On 9/15/2017 at 4:10 PM, Chicago Boy said:

28/29 - 2nd app vs 2nd cover.  Equally impt imho.

with 34 being discardable lol

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:06 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Not the prettiest 4.0 for sure but it will surpass the 54K, but not by a huge margin.

Agree in terms of eye appeal.  54k for the 3.0 was the overdue blow up I thought this book deserved, alas as short lived as it was.....maybe 2018's the year  ? 

5 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
On 10/1/2017 at 12:06 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Agree in terms of eye appeal.  54k for the 3.0 was the overdue blow up I thought this book deserved, alas as short lived as it was.....maybe 2018's the year  ? 

+1

Yes indeed, as it looked like somebody lit a match under that CGC 3.0 copy of 'Tec 38 when it hit over $54K.

Definitely an overdue and much deserved increase on the book, especially since it had long been derided by the fans for the introduction of Robin and seen as the signal for the end of the much more highly sought after darker Bat-Man period as epitomized by the pre-Robin 'Tec books.  So much so to the point whereby the Allentown copy of 'Tec 38 hit the auction block 3 times back in the previous decade, and seemingly going for less money every time it came out, and at only barely double what this much lower graded 3.0 copy sold for.  :takeit:

As a result, definitely nice to see this book go up steadily over the past couple of years from something like $6K on a price per point (PPP) basis up to the $9K PPP prior to the March CC auction.  Not sure if the March CC result at $54K or at $18K on a price per point basis is an outlier or the start of a new turning point for this book similar to the CGC 5.0 AF 15 sale at $57K in the same auction.  Interesting to note that Blazing Bob's CGC 3.0 graded copy sold immediately at $36K or at $12K PPP mere hours after the March auction ended, after sitting unsold on his site for awhile.  hm

So, if this CGC 4.0 copy manages to get over $54K, it looks like the new support level for 'Tec 38 might just be at the $14K mark or thereabouts on a price per point basis which is a significant increase from where it was a couple of years ago.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

34 may have the crummiest cover of the bunch, but it does contain a very entertaining Batman story. That's why I plan on getting one soon.

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

34 may have the crummiest cover of the bunch, but it does contain a very entertaining Batman story.

Talking flowers. :S

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, but the faceless guy.

who could still talk.

Last Bat-tale written by Gardner Fox before the return of original writer Bill Finger , for reasons that are apparent.

Edited by Gotham Kid