• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,086 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Im in doubt as to whether 1 milly will make the fat lady sing on this particular pedigree tec ...

Right. Cause a 5.0 didn't sell for 710K

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=693838

When an AC1 5.5 can fetch 956K last year, not a stretch at all to assume a Tec 27 6.0 ped can fetch 1 Mil today.

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

What do you think about the Detective 33, 8.0 blue coming up on HA?

Metro sold the below copy for 150K earlier this year. The HA copy isn't as nice. Same PQ on both.

tec-33-80-768x1211.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

Gotham Kid, I've been wanting to clear up a misconception in this thread, but work has been too brutal for me to do so until today. The Tec 33 I bought earlier this year from Comicconnect is NOT the copy in your photograph. For some unknown reason, they used a photo of the Heritage copy in their promotional announcement instead of mine. Also, as others have surmised, I did not bid on the Heritage book, which I see has received a new higher offer than has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here is a photo of the book I bought from Comicconnect, taken when I took it to my LCS to play with one of the owner's books. I am a long time collector but a total noob to posting on these boards, so I hope the picture posts correctly.

Tec 33 w pal.jpg

On 10/14/2017 at 2:49 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Interesting that they posted a preview of this lot five months out, but I can see why they did.  I could see it doing $1 mill, although that kind of seems like the ceiling for it, imo. hm

19 hours ago, PRTeckie said:

Here is a photo of the book I bought from Comicconnect, taken when I took it to my LCS to play with one of the owner's books. I am a long time collector but a total noob to posting on these boards, so I hope the picture posts correctly.

Tec 33 w pal.jpg

:applause:

Congrats on the 33. Tremendous purchase.

The Atlantic City 36 8.5 has found its way to Richard (Bedrock) if I'm not mistaken. The other 8.5 copy belonged (belongs ?) to a boardie but he hasn't posted in ages. He was looking to sell his copy a few years back.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/26/2017 at 1:54 PM, Gotham Kid said:

:applause:

Congrats on the 33. Tremendous purchase.

The Atlantic City 36 8.5 has found its way to Richard (Bedrock) if I'm not mistaken. The other 8.5 copy belonged (belongs ?) to a boardie but he hasn't posted in ages. He was looking to sell his copy a few years back.

GK: Dagnabit! You caught on to me too fast! I was hoping at least one person would see that Tec 36 and say "Wow! Who is your LCS? Bedrock? Har har!" To which I would proudly reply, "It is, indeed, Sir Richard!" 

Work and the World Series has taken all my time as of late, so I haven't had a chance to stop by to see him recently. I have a question to ask, so I will put it to you and maybe Richard (or others) will also chime in.

I have purchased several books through auction houses, but I have not sold any through them. Question: when you submit a book to an auction house, do you have any say in how the book is described? I was horrified to see the description of the 8.0 Detective 33 in Heritage's current auction. It first states Overstreet's current ranking of the book and how it has moved up the list recently, then that it was the 4th Batman cover, then that Batman is wearing a gun holster on the cover, and finally, almost as an afterthought, in the blandest possible terms, the description mentions that the origin of Batman is inside.

I understand that the current comic market is cover-centric, but the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman has become an importance piece of American (and now world-wide) pop culture history. To make this aspect of the comic an afterthought is unfathomable to me. I can only think of three reasons, all of which reflect horribly on the auction house. 1. They do not understand the historical importance of the story and honestly believe that "Overstreet", "4th Batman cover" and "gun-in-holster" supercede "origin story" as the best way to advertise it. 2. They do not want to "sell" books to gain maximum returns for their clients. 3. They DO know the importance of the story and they DO know how to "sell" it--but do not want to do so to lessen the hammer price for corporate or clientary reasons.

From reading these boards, I am aware of all of the "miscreantism" that permeates this hobby so this may be just another example. But I welcome your thoughts and experience. Are you allowed to ask an auction house for the right to approve their description of your submissions before the description is published?

8 hours ago, PRTeckie said:

Are you allowed to ask an auction house for the right to approve their description of your submissions before the description is published?

I know a consignor can set the description on Pedigree Comics and ComicLink (although ComicLink may add to the existing text their own comments). Do not know if that is possible on ComicConnect and HA.

13 hours ago, PRTeckie said:

GK: Dagnabit! You caught on to me too fast! I was hoping at least one person would see that Tec 36 and say "Wow! Who is your LCS? Bedrock? Har har!" To which I would proudly reply, "It is, indeed, Sir Richard!" 

Work and the World Series has taken all my time as of late, so I haven't had a chance to stop by to see him recently. I have a question to ask, so I will put it to you and maybe Richard (or others) will also chime in.

I have purchased several books through auction houses, but I have not sold any through them. Question: when you submit a book to an auction house, do you have any say in how the book is described? I was horrified to see the description of the 8.0 Detective 33 in Heritage's current auction. It first states Overstreet's current ranking of the book and how it has moved up the list recently, then that it was the 4th Batman cover, then that Batman is wearing a gun holster on the cover, and finally, almost as an afterthought, in the blandest possible terms, the description mentions that the origin of Batman is inside.

I understand that the current comic market is cover-centric, but the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman has become an importance piece of American (and now world-wide) pop culture history. To make this aspect of the comic an afterthought is unfathomable to me. I can only think of three reasons, all of which reflect horribly on the auction house. 1. They do not understand the historical importance of the story and honestly believe that "Overstreet", "4th Batman cover" and "gun-in-holster" supercede "origin story" as the best way to advertise it. 2. They do not want to "sell" books to gain maximum returns for their clients. 3. They DO know the importance of the story and they DO know how to "sell" it--but do not want to do so to lessen the hammer price for corporate or clientary reasons.

From reading these boards, I am aware of all of the "miscreantism" that permeates this hobby so this may be just another example. But I welcome your thoughts and experience. Are you allowed to ask an auction house for the right to approve their description of your submissions before the description is published?

I think most auction houses are amenable to revising descriptions if you convince them that their current description seriously undersells the book (or is inaccurate).  I've contacted Heritage about errors in their descriptions (of books I didn't own) and they've fixed the descriptions.  I haven't felt it necessary to ask for changes in descriptions of books I've sold through them but I guess they'd be accommodating if I made a reasonable suggestion.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:31 PM, PRTeckie said:

I was horrified to see the description of the 8.0 Detective 33 in Heritage's current auction. It first states Overstreet's current ranking of the book and how it has moved up the list recently, then that it wn cover, then that Batman is wearing a gun holster on the cover, and finally, almost as an afterthought, in the blandest possible terms, the description mentions that the origin of Batman is inside.

I would have thought they would at minimum copy CGC’s key comments which now include the book as being the (while minor) first appearances of Thomas and Martha Wayne along with joe chill. Those are on the cgc label but not in the heritage descriptions so they probably just “recycle” their narratives over the years

Edited by Riddler