• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

A 1.0 ( although with some tape iirc) sold for 30K on ebay not too long ago. Can anyone check if it was reported to GPA ? Not sure CC copy will surpass its previous result.

Edit: ebay 1.0 same copy referenced by Dean

The 2.0 brittle is up on Bob Storms' site with a 39K price tag.

Since this book last sold, according to GPA there are two sales.  A copy with "white pages" on the label sold for  $26k, and then the $30k copy on eBay which has a completely split spine that was taped up.  

-J.

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What makes you say this?  ???

For example, in a follow-up CC auction only a few months later, an equivalently CGC 1.0 graded copy of 'Tec 31 sold for something like $17K lower:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=667399&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

And in only a few short months after that, a CGC 2.0 graded copy (with Brittle pages) sold for even lower than the CGC 1.0 graded copy:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=691089&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

:whatthe:

Because this copy has nice supple pages compared to the brittle pages the other two sold for.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Because this copy has nice supple pages compared to the brittle pages the other two sold for.

The fly in the ointment is still the one that sold for $26k with "white pages" on the label after this one....

-J.

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

The fly in the ointment is still the one that sold for $26k with "white pages" on the label after this one....

-J.

Actually, I think this only goes to confirm DK's point about the supple pages as I believe there's a well respected esteemed board member here who places White Pages at the bottom of the PQ scale when it comes impact on valuation.  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, I think this only goes to confirm DK's point about the supple pages as I believe there's a well respected esteemed board member here who places White Pages at the bottom of the PQ scale when it comes impact on valuation.  :baiting:  lol

lol Well the one with "white pages" on the label went for significantly less than this one, so what to make of that.... :whistle:

-J.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Gotham Kid said:

det1.14375a.jpg

Congrats - twenty-nine times over. What a true gem.

I may be in the bare minority, but I've always preferred this over 31. Lurking over a castle is great n all, but more the Spectre's deal: kicking butt suits Batman more!  (thumbsu

15 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Congrats - twenty-nine times over. What a true gem.

I may be in the bare minority, but I've always preferred this over 31. Lurking over a castle is great n all, but more the Spectre's deal: kicking butt suits Batman more!  (thumbsu

Based upon auction results the past few months, I would have to say the marketplace is slowly also starting to come around to your line of thinking as prices have indeed increased sharply on the 'Tec 29 offerings as of late.  (thumbsu

This is especially evident with the nicely presenting relative to its assigned CGC 3.0 graded copy that sold for $66K in the CC auction back in March of this year.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon auction results the past few months, I would have to say the marketplace is slowly also starting to come around to your line of thinking as prices had indeed increased sharply on the 'Tec 29 offerings as of late.  (thumbsu

I remember both covers were in Richard O'Briens "Golden Age of Comic Books" book (which featured a slew of full-size cover reproductions), so each was noteworthy enough forty years ago to be considered classic. Both are withstanding the test of time.

That book was a great predictor of what books would remain classics - Action 7, Fantastic 3, both Wonderworld's, Whiz 22 (Gator?), and a bunch more, including some nice Eisner and Fine. Some have fallen out of favor like the Raboys, but that may be because they're not turning over as much? Target 7 was in there; Green Giant, some great Centaurs, but no Timely's (I don't think they got permission from Marvel). Action 52 was featured, Green Lantern 1, Wonder Woman 1, Detective 1 - some killer books! A cool pick-up for anyone's reference library that doesn't already have it.

Edited by PopKulture

I don't recall this being discussed on here, but GPA is reporting a sale of an 8.0 Tec 33 in March, 2017, for  $150k.  If I'm not mistaken, that was a sale through Metropolis.   That is simply astounding.  :whatthe:

I'm also seeing a 6.0, Tec 31 selling for  $175k in March, 2017, and a 7.5 Tec 35 for $119k in Feb, 2017.  

Also, a restored, coverless, married, incomplete copy of Tec 33 just went of just shy of $2k the other day on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-COMICS-33-CGC-NG-Cream-to-Off-White-Coverless-Incomplete-Origin-BATMAN-/192245369064?hash=item2cc2b788e8%3Ag%3AW08AAOSwu59ZZXqt&nma=true&si=iFZRySQ5y%2FIXXG0HfR%2Fz791DLhQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

These books have simply exploded this year.  :ohnoez:

-J.

18 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't recall this being discussed on here, but GPA is reporting a sale of an 8.0 Tec 33 in March, 2017, for  $150k.  If I'm not mistaken, that was a sale through Metropolis.   That is simply astounding.  :whatthe:

I'm also seeing a 6.0, Tec 31 selling for  $175k in March, 2017, and a 7.5 Tec 35 for $119k in Feb, 2017.  

Correct. 33 8.0 @ Metro, 35 7.5 @ Heritage.

The 31 6.0 was not sold on the big 3 so curious where it was sold at. I recall the scan, lovely copy.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 7/7/2017 at 10:10 PM, Action252Kid said:

Just a head's up to whoever bought the Detective 35 Jerry Robinson copy off of eBay earlier today for $7500.  It was sold using the same title/scans/description as when Sparkle City sold it several years ago (you can copy/paste the title of the listing into Google, and it will bring up the prior sale).  The guy's feedback looks somewhat legit, but it definitely fits the typical model that these scammers have been pulling on eBay (lifted pics/description, non-comic seller, underpriced but not 'so' underpriced that it raises suspicion).  So if anyone here bought it, I'd just be cautious and stay on the case if the seller has any delays in shipping or anything fishy goes on.

Nice head's up on this one.  Anyone know if the sale went through?

On 7/19/2017 at 11:06 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Correct. 33 8.0 @ Metro, 35 7.5 @ Heritage.

The 31 6.0 was not sold on the big 3 so curious where it was sold at. I recall the scan, lovely copy.

It's nice to see (and overdue, yet ultimatly inevitable)  33 close the gap with 29 and 31 (to a lesser extent) over the last year. 

Classic gun holster cover, 1930s Batman, first origin, first Martha and Thomas Wayne, first Joe Chill.  Can't beat that.  :cloud9: (Unless of course, you have them all! ;) )

-J.

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Peter it does look more like a 3.0 than a 1.8 I would hope you agree.

The book has tape, so if CGC ignored the tape and took into account the seen defects (e.g., splitting of the spine due to brittleness) then the 1.8 is accurate.

2 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The book has tape, so if CGC ignored the tape and took into account the seen defects (e.g., splitting of the spine due to brittleness) then the 1.8 is accurate.

I would only agree if there was splitting from wraps and cover from brittleness. (shrug)

26 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Whose credibility ... lol

You can pretend you don't know, but this is why some refuse to buy books in the other holders - a fear they are overgraded.  

That may not be true, but when this happens on a bigger, higher profile book it reinforces that perception.  

I understand that you are saying perhaps cgc was too harsh grading the book, but a grading company will survive even with a perception they grade tightly - conservative grading would be comforting to most collectors and occasionally annoy some who think their book should have graded higher (an unavoidable issue for any grading company - can't please everyone).

A perception you are too loose or sloppy is tough to unwind, if that perception sticks you have a serious issue, buyers stay away, sales for the same book,  in the same grade suffer, this reinforces the perception no one "trusts" the grade and the spiral continues.

I'd explain what happened here if  I were them, there may be very good arguments explaining what if anything changed.