• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,086 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Sorry if discussed already, but Detective #36 got a huge value increase in the new Overstreet guide (47th 2017-2018 ).

2016-2017     2.0 - 3,500 4.0 - 7,000 6.0 - 10,500 8.0 - 26,000 9.0 - 40,500 9.2 - 55,000

2017-2018     2.0 - 5,500 4.0 - 11,000 6.0 - 16,500 8.0 - 40,000 9.0 - 60,000 9.2 - 80,000

57% increase at 2.0-6.0!!

The book moved up 11 spots in the top 100 Golden Age Comic NM list from 46th to 35th place.  

And had the 3rd highest gain in the top 100 at 46%.  Only behind the predictable Wonder Woman #1 at 47% and All Star Comics #8 at 49%.

I don't use Overstreet for FMV, but I feel it can help validate a book's "bluechip" status.

That's because the prices of the bigger name or key pre-Robin 'Tec books were the first to take the big jumps and these later lower profile ones came in later on the coattails of the bigger boys.  It's also easier to get the big percentage gains when you are starting with a lower price point, as say comparing it to a 'Tec 31's starting price point.  hm

It's good to see that Overstreet has taken a definite shift in his pricing strategy and has noted the increase in the lower grade tiers as clearly mentioned by him in his last two market reports.  It's obvious that books such as 'Tec 31 has been selling in all grades for ever increasing amounts of money and yet there has been no public sale of one in the higher grades.  As a result, while 'Tec 31 has increased by 28%+ in top of guide over the past 2 years, Bob has also increased it by 92%+ in bottom of guide over the same 2-year time frame.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/20/2017 at 7:48 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I don't recall this being discussed on here, but GPA is reporting a sale of an 8.0 Tec 33 in March, 2017, for  $150k.  If I'm not mistaken, that was a sale through Metropolis.   That is simply astounding.  :whatthe:

Jay,

just so you know, there was a 170K offer on this 8.0 copy in March

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-33-dc-1939-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7084-91258.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Perhaps same buyer (or another ?) you mention who walked away happy as he paid 20K less that he would have if HA offer were accepted.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Perhaps same buyer (or another ?) you mention who walked away happy as he paid 20K less that he would have if HA offer were accepted.

Well, I am sure the seller must have also walked away quite happy since it looks like he made over $80K holding onto the book for just a few years since the HA archives indicates it was sold only back in November of 2013.  :flipbait:    :whee:

Looks like the CGC 1.0 graded copy of 'Tec 31 jumped out to a pretty quick start on the CC auction site:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=727871

But still a long ways to go until it hits the $43K mark that this exact same copy sold for last year, and I have my doubts that it will make it back up there in this go round.  hm

Will be interesting to see what happens in the end though.  :taptaptap:

On 8/21/2017 at 8:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like the CGC 1.0 graded copy of 'Tec 31 jumped out to a pretty quick start on the CC auction site:

But still a long ways to go until it hits the $43K mark that this exact same copy sold for last year, and I have my doubts that it will make it back up there in this go round.  hm

On 8/23/2017 at 10:37 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'm interested as well.  Book sold for $43,505 last time.

Maybe I spoke too soon as it was a quick start, but has not really moved in the past couple of weeks and seemingly stuck at $29K for now.  zzz

Guess we will have to wait for the last few hours and then the extended bidding to see any further action on this book here.  :taptaptap:

On 8/21/2017 at 8:52 PM, lou_fine said:

On 8/23/2017 at 10:37 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'm interested as well.  Book sold for $43,505 last time.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:
On 7/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, Dark Knight said:

Pretty sure it will hit close to that number or surpass it this 2nd go around.

:whistle: Looks like I was spot on with the Tec 31

Well, it indeed looks like you was pretty spot on with your prediction since the book sold for $44K on this go round here.  (thumbsu

Hope you don't have to send CC 44 big ones though just to prove that you was right in the end with your prediction.  lol

I was actually rather shocked, but pleasantly surprised that it was able to hit this same aggressive number again.  Especially since after the $43,505 sale in June of 2016, another CGC 1.0 graded copy managed to fetch only $26K in CC's August/September auction and then this was followed by a CGC 2.0 graded copy with Brittle pages in December that managed to hit only $17,200.  So, maybe we've just gone full circle back to late 2015 and early 2016 when a CGC 0.5 graded copy was able to go for $21.5K in one of CC's auction back in September of 2015.  :whatthe:

So, $44K is definitely a pretty big number here for a CGC 1.0 graded copy, although I assume the consignor would still be out a few thousand dollars after paying for the auction fees.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

ComicLink last night

29 6.5 EP $22,055

35 4.5 EP $10,250

36 6.0 $44,000 :whatthe:

I would put this to catch-up time for 'Tec 36 relative to the other much pricier and high profile pre-Robin 'Tec books which got the fast start out of the gate.

And as Overstreet notes in his price guide, 'Tec 36 features the first appearance of Hugo Strange, Batman's first major villain and also one who is sinisterly and masterfully played by BD Wong on the Gotham TV series.  (thumbsu