• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

I think that it is about time that we began a club devoted to one of the most beloved runs in the history of the Golden Age; the famous "Pre-Robin Tec" run.

Detective Comics #27-37...

*Your copy: how did you get it?

*Where did you get it from?

*Why did you get it?

*What kind of condition is it in?

*Stories behind the book.

*Interested in picking up a copy?

*Interested in picking up another copy?

Pretty much anything that you can think of related to the Pre-Robin Tec run is fair game. (thumbs u

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

Great name and congrats! Now, I just need a pre-robin Tec to join this club.

You need a Tec 31 for the club and for "mind explosion" :baiting:

:grin:

Definitely like Tec 31 :luhv: and for "mind explosion" as you mention. Also, thinking hm 29 or 35.

I think with how difficult finding an Action 13 is proving to be, your gonna beat me to "mind explosion" first. :cry:

29,31,35 - can't go wrong with any. Mega Grails one and all. :cool:

Definitely like Tec 31 :luhv: and for "mind explosion" as you mention. Also, thinking hm 29 or 35.

If the grades and asking prices were equal, I'd go with Tec #29 for sure; I'd even take a lower-graded 29 over a higher-graded 35 depending on the degree of disparity of course.

Can't go wrong either way though. (thumbs u

I think that it is about time that we began a club devoted to one of the most beloved runs in the history of the Golden Age; the famous "Pre-Robin Tec" run.

Detective Comics #27-37...

*Your copy: how did you get it?

*Where did you get it from?

*Why did you get it?

*What kind of condition is it in?

*Stories behind the book.

*Interested in picking up a copy?

*Interested in picking up another copy?

Pretty much anything that you can think of related to the Pre-Robin Tec run is fair game. (thumbs u

If my new display name hasn't already given it away, allow me to be the first to share...

mine3.jpg

Detective Comics #33: CGC .5 (Back cover missing; WHITE Pages)

This was a book that I had wanted for many years. I learned long ago that Detective Comics #27 would be way out of my price-range and at this point, the same could be said of any copy of Batman #1 that isn't coverless.

I was very fortunate that a fellow board-member, "Bat-Man", was willing to sell me his copy. It was a book that I had wanted ever since he first shared it with me and I feel very fortunate to now be able to call it my own.

Obviously the book has been through a lot. It has some serious mouse-chew and the back-cover is missing. What I found amazing is that despite the obvious defects, what remains of the book is still in fantastic condition. White pages and the classic image of Batman on the front-cover is still 100% in-tact.

If it were not for the defects, this book would have never been anywhere near my price-range and I'd have to settle for a higher graded copy of a much less significant issue. Detective Comics #33 has always been one of my personal favorites because I simply love the cover and feel that the story of Batman's origin is the most important Golden Age story ever told.

And thus...I'm proud to call myself "Detective33Kid". :cloud9:

Great name and congrats! Now, I just need a pre-robin Tec to join this club.

You need a Tec 31 for the club and for "mind explosion" :baiting:

:grin:

I think with how difficult finding an Action 13 is proving to be, your gonna beat me to "mind explosion" first. :cry:

29,31,35 - can't go wrong with any. Mega Grails one and all. :cool:

Maybe you guys could swap copies?

:jokealert:

If the grades and asking prices were equal, I'd go with Tec #29 for sure; I'd even take a lower-graded 29 over a higher-graded 35 depending on the degree of disparity of course.

Lots of decision to make, but I will add a least one of the above in the future.

Lots of decision to make, but I will add a least one of the above in the future.

:wishluck::cool:

Imran and Andre and the "new" George and Rick lol

Rick, you and I both know that you have a Pre-Robin Tec or two stashed away in your collection... :popcorn:

what about a tec 27 and a tec 31...would that count (shrug)

Rick, you and I both know that you have a Pre-Robin Tec or two stashed away in your collection... :popcorn:

Can I get back to you on that one?

Let's see them

I will be charging a fee

I just snuck in under the wire, I found a 'tec 37 about 10 years ago at an antique store, it was a decent VG...except for that thumb sized chunk out of the center LH edge of the back cover, lol The antique dealer knew that he had a good comic, and we parted ways about $75 apart. He wouldn't budge down, and I wouldn't budge up. About a year later I got a call, and he offered to split the difference. I offered $25 beyond my last offer...and bought it for $350.

Kept it a couple years, read it a few times and enjoyed it greatly....but I'm more of a Superman guy than a Batman guy, and I eventually sold it to a dealer amigo for $600. Heh, sure wish I had it back now....

My lone entry into the club...Matt Nelson says it has a 50/50 shot at a 5.5 and the CGC graders contemplated it...but I love it as is...

tec31cgc5-1.jpg

5.0, 5.5, who cares, it is a BEAUT...if only I were a rich man, i could have kept it :cry:

Here's my run in no particular order. I've been very lucky in acquiring affordable, low-grade pre-Robins before the prices skyrocketed. Not displayed below, are a Tec 29 (currently being restored by Ken) and a Bat 1 (shown elsewhere). I also used to own a Tec 37, now in the collection of Alex.

Tec35FCafter0001.jpg

tec35Front-1.jpg

tec34.jpg

tec31.jpg

tec28Front.jpg

I just snuck in under the wire, I found a 'tec 37 about 10 years ago at an antique store, it was a decent VG...except for that thumb sized chunk out of the center LH edge of the back cover, lol The antique dealer knew that he had a good comic, and we parted ways about $75 apart. He wouldn't budge down, and I wouldn't budge up. About a year later I got a call, and he offered to split the difference. I offered $25 beyond my last offer...and bought it for $350.

Kept it a couple years, read it a few times and enjoyed it greatly....but I'm more of a Superman guy than a Batman guy, and I eventually sold it to a dealer amigo for $600. Heh, sure wish I had it back now....

Not everyday that you find a Pre-Robin Tec in an antique store; very interesting story.

Wonder where the book is today? hm

My lone entry into the club...Matt Nelson says it has a 50/50 shot at a 5.5 and the CGC graders contemplated it...but I love it as is...

tec31cgc5-1.jpg

If one were to ever have a lone entry, that's a fantastic book to do it with!

Any story as to you went about acquiring it?

Here's my run in no particular order. I've been very lucky in acquiring affordable, low-grade pre-Robins before the prices skyrocketed. Not displayed below, are a Tec 29 (currently being restored by Ken) and a Bat 1 (shown elsewhere). I also used to own a Tec 37, now in the collection of Alex.

Tec35FCafter0001.jpg

tec35Front-1.jpg

tec34.jpg

tec31.jpg

tec28Front.jpg

Very, VERY impressive!

I'm sure you can't wait to see the #29 when you get it back.

I also really like your #31, reminds me of my #33 due to the solid PQ and the missing the back-cover. Out of curiosity, what do you think the FMV on the #31 would be?