• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

Thanks guys.

All things being equal, I much prefer a book with great eye appeal that has been downgraded for a defect I can't see (in this case, the centerfold is split and detached).

I have read this entire thread over the last week, and it's been fascinating reading everyone's opinions, and watching prices evolve over the last four or five years. In particular, it's amazing to me that 29 and 31 were essentially "equal" at the start of this thread, and now 31 has just blown up. I love both books (and I'd love to own a 31 as well) but to me personally, 29's cover is on a par with 31, and the significance and rarity of 29 trump 31. So...it was an easy choice to start with 29 when there is currently such a large price disparity.

Incidentally, has anyone mentioned the fact that the shutters on the window don't fit the window opening? Thought that was interesting.

And, hey...I'm currently looking for a low grade Tec 27, so, you know, if you have one lying around, or know where I could find one, please PM!!

Thanks!

a Low grade tec27:

There is Bunky's blue 1.8.

"only" 375K lol

Thanks guys.

All things being equal, I much prefer a book with great eye appeal that has been downgraded for a defect I can't see (in this case, the centerfold is split and detached).

I have read this entire thread over the last week, and it's been fascinating reading everyone's opinions, and watching prices evolve over the last four or five years. In particular, it's amazing to me that 29 and 31 were essentially "equal" at the start of this thread, and now 31 has just blown up. I love both books (and I'd love to own a 31 as well) but to me personally, 29's cover is on a par with 31, and the significance and rarity of 29 trump 31. So...it was an easy choice to start with 29 when there is currently such a large price disparity.

Incidentally, has anyone mentioned the fact that the shutters on the window don't fit the window opening? Thought that was interesting.

And, hey...I'm currently looking for a low grade Tec 27, so, you know, if you have one lying around, or know where I could find one, please PM!!

Thanks!

a Low grade tec27:

"only" 375K lol

Yes, well...exactly what I am looking for, price notwithstanding. ;)

Thanks guys.

Thanks!

a Low grade tec27:

"only" 375K lol

it's actually $275k

Thanks guys.

Thanks!

a Low grade tec27:

"only" 375K lol

it's actually $275k

Didn't a 2.5 sell for $215 on c link in 9/13? (shrug)

-J.

Thanks guys.

Thanks!

a Low grade tec27:

"only" 375K lol

it's actually $275k

Didn't a 2.5 sell for $215 on c link in 9/13? (shrug)

that particular data point is probably ancient history in the tec27 realm ... :P

-J.

that particular data point is probably ancient history in the tec27 realm ...

Edited by Marvel Zombie

Tec 36 CGC 4.5 blue sold on CLink last night for $13,750. Previous sale in the same grade was only three months ago @ $12,200. Seller did very well, considering they bought the book raw on eBay only a few months ago. The book presents much better after a press, and possible dry cleaning (?).

And...I thought coverless but complete Tec 27's were roughly $30k...? And yet, a coverless copy / no centerfold / slightly brittle just sold for $27,500. Wow.

Seller did very well, considering they bought the book raw on eBay only a few months ago. The book presents much better after a press, and possible dry cleaning (?).

The ebay seller had no idea of the book's worth. She had the initial reserve set to $500.

Tec 36 CGC 4.5 blue sold on CLink last night for $13,750. Previous sale in the same grade was only three months ago @ $12,200. Seller did very well, considering they bought the book raw on eBay only a few months ago. The book presents much better after a press, and possible dry cleaning (?).

And...I thought coverless but complete Tec 27's were roughly $30k...? And yet, a coverless copy / no centerfold / slightly brittle just sold for $27,500. Wow.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised about the Tec 36 price being so high, but then again, nothing surprises me in the Pre-Robin Tec world anymore. As for the Tec 27, possibly the fact that it was incomplete and didn't have the best page quality kept it under 30k. (shrug)

Seller did very well, considering they bought the book raw on eBay only a few months ago. The book presents much better after a press, and possible dry cleaning (?).

The ebay seller had no idea of the book's worth. She had the initial reserve set to $500.

Yes, I also noticed that the issue number was not in the item title.

Wish I had seen it when it was originally on eBay - might have taken a shot at it (though there was obviously some risk on the buying end, too). I would have bid on it yesterday if the price was more reasonable. I currently have bigger fish to fry (and hopefully post here in the not-too-distant future), so don't want to go overboard setting record prices for books that are currently of a lower priority on the wish list.

Yes, I also noticed that the issue number was not in the item title.

Wish I had seen it when it was originally on eBay - might have taken a shot at it (though there was obviously some risk on the buying end, too). I would have bid on it yesterday if the price was more reasonable. I currently have bigger fish to fry (and hopefully post here in the not-too-distant future), so don't want to go overboard setting record prices for books that are currently of a lower priority on the wish list.

I was the 0 feedback bidder. I had to break off from the auction early on account of a trip to Brussels.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised about the Tec 36 price being so high, but then again, nothing surprises me in the Pre-Robin Tec world anymore. As for the Tec 27, possibly the fact that it was incomplete and didn't have the best page quality kept it under 30k. (shrug)

BARELY under $30k. My point was that I thought the Tec 27 price was HIGH. The trifecta of coverless / incomplete / brittle is pretty brutal. I think there's a HUGE difference between coverless but complete, and coverless / incomplete / brittle (and I would expect that to be reflected in the price). Makes me wonder what a coverless but complete copy would sell for now.

BARELY under $30k. My point was that I thought the Tec 27 price was HIGH. The trifecta of coverless / incomplete / brittle is pretty brutal. I think there's a HUGE difference between coverless but complete, and coverless / incomplete / brittle (and I would expect that to be reflected in the price). Makes me wonder what a coverless but complete copy would sell for now.

I guess the take home message from the recent CL auction is that all the Pre-Robins sold for higher prices than expected. These Pre-Robins keep going for crazy prices with no slow down in sight. :ohnoez: