• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lhcomics said:

+1. Must be a low supply and high demand on these type funny books.

its just nutty to think about just as examples:  10,000 hulk 181, 50-60 honus wagner t206, under 50 blue detective 33.  its a unicorn!  as are all prerobins.

2 minutes ago, Riddler said:

I think this is accurate considering GPA has 1.5s at $11k and $15k one year ago (Nov/Dec 2016) and now it's more than doubled to $30k

And that concerns me about how high this latest 1.5 copy jumped that much in value...  I think I'll wait it out.  The 1.5 visually was not an attractive copy as well at least in my eyes, it was decent, but not strong eye appeal as the covers were tanning, had those streaks of vertical creasing that breaks color, and the rectangular piece off cover.  The other 1.5 that sold off of HA last year was a more attractive copy.

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

And that concerns me about how high this latest 1.5 copy jumped that much in value...  I think I'll wait it out.  The 1.5 visually was not an attractive copy as well at least in my eyes, it was decent, but not strong eye appeal as the covers were tanning, had those streaks of vertical creasing that breaks color, and the rectangular piece off cover.  The other 1.5 that sold off of HA last year was a more attractive copy.

I know what you mean, but what're you gonna do ?  Same thing happened with Tec 31.  Last year a 1.0 sold for $26k, this year one sold for $44k- an $18k increase.  Pre-Robin Tec's were hot this year.  This just shows again that always waiting around for the next "prettier" copy can cost you a lot more money in more ways than one. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I forgot how that Tec 31 1.0 copy looked that sold for $26k last year. I remembered I had a conversation about it in this thread and predicted  the one copy that sold for $44k this year. I think the one that sold for $26k has brittle pages hence the price. The $44k copy had supple pages, so different results. 

I believe another low graded Tec 31 from last year also sold in around the $40k range, forgot if it was a 1.0 or 1.5.

But in terms of the Tec 33, we'll see how it goes when the next copy goes up for sale to see if current prices are sustainable.  And if it does, I'm in a very deep hole :tonofbricks:

Out of Tec 29, 31, 33, and 35 I have seen more Tec 33's than any of the other copies since I've started following/collecting pre robin Tec books. It's the most common out of the four. Im sure we will be seeing more copies for sale next year.

Edited by Dark Knight

53 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Out of Tec 29, 31, 33, and 35 I have seen more Tec 33's than any of the other copies since I've started following/collecting pre robin Tec books. It's the most common out of the four. Im sure we will be seeing more copies for sale next year.

9.2 MP

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=756452

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I forgot how that Tec 31 1.0 copy looked that sold for $26k last year. I remembered I had a conversation about it in this thread and predicted  the one copy that sold for $44k this year. I think the one that sold for $26k has brittle pages hence the price. The $44k copy had supple pages, so different results. 

I believe another low graded Tec 31 from last year also sold in around the $40k range, forgot if it was a 1.0 or 1.5.

But in terms of the Tec 33, we'll see how it goes when the next copy goes up for sale to see if current prices are sustainable.  And if it does, I'm in a very deep hole :tonofbricks:

Actually Tec 31 has more graded copies than 33.  And I've seen plenty of 31's for sale the last four years, usually at least one in nearly every major HA or CC auction and its price continues to escalate as well.  There have not been nearly as many 33's for sale over the same period of time publicly, and it has the added benefit of the origin story.  These things look to be cyclical and Tec 31 was only going to go so high before it just looked stupid compared to what 33 was going for.  So the inevitable happened , 33 surged and went a long way toward closing the gap the last couple years.  

And the 1.0, 31 that sold for $26k last year had "white pages " on the label.  The difference in year over year prices between a 31, 1.0 and a 33, 1.5 is about on par with each other.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Here was an interesting item I was tracking on eBay.  It was an auction that was abruptly ended during the final couple hours.  I messaged the seller asking what had happened.  I received a godfather like response "we were made an offer we could not refuse".   Searching the completed history bidding was up to $650 or so, but wonder what the final offer on this was.  Neat item but really hate when these are ended early.  Would have rather seen bidding play out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-DETECTIVE-COMICS-ISSUE-36-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-WITH-PROFESSOR-HUGO/382312536096?hash=item59039a5820:g:B6AAAOSwNWxaMMB3

6 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Here was an interesting item I was tracking on eBay.  It was an auction that was abruptly ended during the final couple hours.  I messaged the seller asking what had happened.  I received a godfather like response "we were made an offer we could not refuse".   Searching the completed history bidding was up to $650 or so, but wonder what the final offer on this was.  Neat item but really hate when these are ended early.  Would have rather seen bidding play out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-DETECTIVE-COMICS-ISSUE-36-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-WITH-PROFESSOR-HUGO/382312536096?hash=item59039a5820:g:B6AAAOSwNWxaMMB3

I was disappointed too -- I would've paid that & more, as the interior was a coverless Fantastic Comics #3.  Two great parts to have (the Tec cover and the Fantastic interior).

2 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

I was disappointed too -- I would've paid that & more, as the interior was a coverless Fantastic Comics #3.  Two great parts to have (the Tec cover and the Fantastic interior).

It actually did not come with the coverless Fantastic 3, they listed that seperate.  That looks like it completed for high bid of $64

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-FANTASTIC-COMICS-ISSUE-1-2-OR-3-COMIC-BOOK-NOT-SURE/312023706284?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

8 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

A boardie bought it :

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/426167-please-help-me-what-should-i-buy/?page=2

3 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

It actually did not come with the coverless Fantastic 3, they listed that seperate.  That looks like it completed for high bid of $64

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-FANTASTIC-COMICS-ISSUE-1-2-OR-3-COMIC-BOOK-NOT-SURE/312023706284?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Oops, sorry I misread the description!  I actually bought the Fantastic for $64 in the other auction.  I was bummed to see this one sell (when I thought it came with both parts) -- I thought the seller might have had TWO coverless Fantastic 3's.. looks like there was just one.  Still a good buy since the boardie who bought it had a coverless Tec 36 and I believe the back cover is a "common" back cover that can be found.  

1 hour ago, Action252Kid said:

Oops, sorry I misread the description!  I actually bought the Fantastic for $64 in the other auction.  I was bummed to see this one sell (when I thought it came with both parts) -- I thought the seller might have had TWO coverless Fantastic 3's.. looks like there was just one.  Still a good buy since the boardie who bought it had a coverless Tec 36 and I believe the back cover is a "common" back cover that can be found.  

Agree, glad someone who has a coverless copy ultimately ended up with it.  He'll piece together a nice book.

I'm really digging the new, more descriptive (and accurate) label notes key comments CGC is putting on copies of Tec 33 now detailing all of the many first appearances it has, in addition to the origin and classic cover. Seriously considering sending my copy in for the new label.  

-J.

Screenshot_2017-12-18-19-59-10.png

Edited by Jaydogrules