• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,102 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

I seriously doubt that this is the new price/point for a Tec 33.  

My gut is that owners will hold their copies at that price level.  I will.  

I agree wholeheartedly with all of those who have said that this was a supply/demand issue tonight.  Too many copies of pre-Robin (and 1st Robin for that matter) Tecs being sold all at once.  Flooded the market and overwhelmed buyers.

Low grade copies are offered so rarely I wouldn't be surprised if you had very strong offers for your 1.8. The most intense buying pressures on these big GA keys is on the lower grades and the nosebleed grades.  The mid grades can be a shoot.  Either way Tec 33 has definitely come into it's own the last couple of years, and I also agree that there is still a good amount of room in it.

-J.

Seems like tape on these Tecs doesn't slow them like it did in past. The 29 in 3.5, 35 in 5.5 & 37 in 3.5 all had tape and went strong. I was watching the #29 3.5 with tape as it's practically identical to mine I bought in Dec 2016. This 3.5 sold for $17K more than I paid.

29 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Seems like tape on these Tecs doesn't slow them like it did in past. The 29 in 3.5, 35 in 5.5 & 37 in 3.5 all had tape and went strong. I was watching the #29 3.5 with tape as it's practically identical to mine I bought in Dec 2016. This 3.5 sold for $17K more than I paid.

Problem is IMO that the tape on this book likely reattached the centerfold and or the cover...  I didn't check the grade date but that is my gut.  So not a true 3.5 today ...

James G

11 minutes ago, jgallo said:

Problem is IMO that the tape on this book likely reattached the centerfold and or the cover...  I didn't check the grade date but that is my gut.  So not a true 3.5 today ...

James G

Tape on that low of a grade is allowable without further impacting the grade.  

-J.

31 minutes ago, jgallo said:

James G

I used to own that Tec 29 3.5 before and it had that tape already before it was resubmitted after a spine roll press.  I believe it was after the announcement of the new tape rule by CGC.  So it is technically still a 3.5.

1 hour ago, lhcomics said:

Yep, because pre-robin tecs are so sought after and hard to come by periodically at auctions, I can see why tape on the interior wouldn't affect the bidding.  May be affected if tape is visualized on the spine area of the covers or at random parts of the cover.  But as long as the covers look presentable with nice eye appeal, it really doesn't matter anymore I guess.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I used to own that Tec 29 3.5 before and it had that tape already before it was resubmitted after a spine roll press.  I believe it was after the announcement of the new tape rule by CGC.  So it is technically still a 3.5.

Book is listed as being graded on 7/12/13 two months after the tape rule change, so perhaps not.  I just don't know if that would have gotten through had the book been sent to CCS for the spine roll issue (shrug)

James G

6 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Seems like tape on these Tecs doesn't slow them like it did in past. The 29 in 3.5, 35 in 5.5 & 37 in 3.5 all had tape and went strong.

Not necessarily true about the Tec 37 3.5 Leroy. CC auctioned off (last auction I think it was) a 3.5 that ended up at 17.5K and was slightly less appealing, at least to me (spine splits , slight paper loss bottom left corner on guy's shoe, stain fc), than last night's 3.5. The moderate amount of tape on notes surely played a factor.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=731486

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Doc67 said:
8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

What grade is your copy ?

-J.

The offer was on my 1.8.

33K for a 1.8 is a strong offer. One day soon it might no longer be.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-33-dc-1939-cgc-gd-18-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7158-91038.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Gotham Kid

18 hours ago, Ltpink2002 said:

TEC 33 6.5 at $81,000 was a great deal.  I placed a bid in at 23 sec, but the server was so slow that by time the bid went in, the auction was closed.

Yipes!  If I were the consignor, I wouldn't be happy to hear that.  Earlier in the day (before the auction started) the site seemed to be having some problems and was offline for a while, at least for me.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, Doc67 said:

I seriously doubt that this is the new price/point for a Tec 33.  

My gut is that owners will hold their copies at that price level.  I will.  

I agree wholeheartedly with all of those who have said that this was a supply/demand issue tonight.  Too many copies of pre-Robin (and 1st Robin for that matter) Tecs being sold all at once.  Flooded the market and overwhelmed buyers.

I guess I haven’t paid attention to these in a year or so because the prices looked crazt high to me.  Pre robins are in a world of their own.

7 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I guess I haven’t paid attention to these in a year or so because the prices looked crazt high to me.  Pre robins are in a world of their own.

Although it's like a world of their own based upon the prices realized from this auction here, I guess it was more like a galaxy of their own in previous CC auctions when the supply was significantly lower.  :D

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/21/2018 at 11:26 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Tape on that low of a grade is allowable without further impacting the grade.  

-J.

Been out of the game for a while but there was a rule change on tape? I have some low grade SA Marvel keys that were HAMMERED due to tape. Would they benefit from this rule change if regraded?

1 hour ago, Mac Man said:

Been out of the game for a while but there was a rule change on tape? I have some low grade SA Marvel keys that were HAMMERED due to tape. Would they benefit from this rule change if regraded?

So basically the "new" grading rule for tape is that say a cover to a book is completely split and detached, but it is taped back together and now attached to the book, CGC would grade the book as if there was no tape to fix the problem. 

Back then the book can get away with a grade of around 2.5, now that same book would most likely grade out as a 1.0/1.5.