• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beckett SI Grading - How Will This Impact CGC

28 posts in this topic

I predict that CGC will grade less SIs now. By about the number of people that would have chosen to have CGC grade them, but instead chose to have their books their books graded by Beckett.

I predict that CGC will grade less SIs now. By about the number of people that would have chosen to have CGC grade them, but instead chose to have their books their books graded by Beckett.

hm

Looks like they are only doing SI's that are new and uncirculated only back to 6/9/2009. So I doubt it will have any effect on CGC at all. Just my 2c

They mentioned in the future they will grade SI magazines instead of "just" labeling them uncirculated. I think the magazines that they are selling now were sent to them directly from SI.

As for future magazines, it's a little difficult to say. CGC is the most respected holder for comics, but BGS has competition for their sports card holders with PSA and SGC.

I imagine only time will tell, but I'm interested in seeing how the Beckett magzine holder compares with that of the CGC holder.

Has anyone seen one of these BGS magazine holders?

Are SI's really collectible? I mean, is there a nice market for these and are any of them really worth anything? I don't have them anymore but my grandfather used to get me a subscription every year from when I was maybe 10 to 16 or so. Plus, he saved all of his for I don't know how long. Many, many years. At one point there were just so many of them we were like "WTF will we do with these" and pitched them all.

Are SI's really collectible? I mean, is there a nice market for these and are any of them really worth anything? I don't have them anymore but my grandfather used to get me a subscription every year from when I was maybe 10 to 16 or so. Plus, he saved all of his for I don't know how long. Many, many years. At one point there were just so many of them we were like "WTF will we do with these" and pitched them all.

Hate to tell you but they are now worth Bags of Money!!!

I sold an SI #1 9.8 for over 2K, so there is money to be made for sure.

First issue though. Are there many "keys" if you will when it comes to SI?

I can't imagine random issues from the mid-80's with say, Kevin Mitchell on the cover are worth more than maybe what 2 huge kevin Mitchell fans on ebay are willing to pay for it. Which I would guess is about $4 bucks. (shrug)

I can't imagine random issues from the mid-80's with say, Kevin Mitchell on the cover are worth more than maybe what 2 huge kevin Mitchell fans on ebay are willing to pay for it. Which I would guess is about $4 bucks. (shrug)

I think it all depends on the cover. The US Olympic Hockey team cover in high grade would sell for a lot of money... maybe even more than the #1.

I think it all depends on the cover. The US Olympic Hockey team cover in high grade would sell for a lot of money... maybe even more than the #1.

hm Think I might have to get me one of those.

Hate to tell you but they are now worth Bags of Money!!!

94614.jpg

KEVIN MITCHELL SIGHTING!

I didn't think I would ever hear that name again, he was a great ball player for a few years...

I probably would spend the $4 on a William Neuschler Clark SI cover though

I probably would spend the $4 on a William Neuschler Clark SI cover though

(worship)

My childhood hero and all-time favorite player of any sport. God, I remember being a kid and trying to do everything the way he did it, from the wiggle in his swing to always pulling up the right sleeve of his jersey. The day I got switched over to 1st base in little league was the day I looked for my hero and I found him!

ps: The best Clark article ever is from the SI with his face on the cover, titled "A Will To Win"

1990GiantsPostCards.jpg

Now that is the sweet science

Beckett would certainly have a more recognizable brand name than CGC among sports collectors (ask an average sports memorabilia collector or dealer about CGC and they will say CG-who ???)

While Beckett has a strong foothold in the 'modern' sports card market (1980-present) from a 'numbers of submission' and 'prices realized' perspective (as that is what they specialize in), Beckett lags WAY behind PSA or SGC when it comes to VINTAGE cards (pre-1980) which is the backbone of that hobby. Just about all the most valuable cards are in PSA and SGC holders.

I would not go as far as saying Beckett is like PGX but when it comes to vintage items, whenever a high-profile, high-dollar vintage card is in a Beckett holder, questions are raised as to why it isn't it in a PSA or SGC holder ?

So I would assume that these new slabbed SI's would appeal to the loyal Beckett collectors who collect the modern stuff and would get a thrill out of adding a Beckett graded 1990 S.I. Ken Griffey or a 1995 S.I. Tiger Woods. But I doubt the hardcore collector of vintage sports publications would care much about the news or the service (most don't even know about CGC let alone that they are grading mags). I just don't see slabbed issues of the most valuable SI issues: a 1956 S.I. Mickey Mantle, or a 1955 S.I. Ted Williams or a 1967 S.I. Roberto Clemente making their way into the market in Beckett holders in droves.

Bottom line, I just don't think Beckett grading SI would affect CGC much. But if it was PSA that was grading magazines, now that is another story ....

my 2c

rumors where about 5 years ago that beckett was going to enter the comic grading market, i guess they'll pass on comics and just stick with SI.

OR they'll start with SI then move to comics... hm