• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS 39 club
4 4

683 posts in this topic

Ya See, the biggest reason I LOVE the cover of 39. Is because it's not an obvious move to super herodom. I know it says "Super-Hero" on the cover and all, but at 1st glance it looks like it could be just another pre-hero robot cover. I think that sets it apart from say JIM 83,ST 101 etc.

here is my old copy now at Metro.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=373447&set=0

I must say, I don't miss it for one second..never care for this key and I love Iron Man. Unlike most, this cover does nothing for me and rank last in my list of marvel keys. Just my opinion so I know everyone else in this thread think the opposite.

My first comic purchase off the rack ever was Iron Man 150.

I think the main reason the cover is not liked by some is because it's lacking a lot of color and Iron Man is not really in a dynamic pose. Later covers with the gold suit were more dynamic and probably why Stan wanted the gold suit and changed the suit repeatedly over the years.

I love the cover though. As Tortoise said, it could be a pre-hero cover. It's very understated. I cherish my TOS 39 and have wanted to own one ever since seeing one as a kid.

I agree other covers are more dynamic and might be better (such as JIM 83, AF15). But look at Hulk 1...it's king of the same thing...

FF 1 was the best in terms of action and being colorful with dynamics. I'm still waiting to get one of those one day...(not likely though).

Shocking indeed! :o I asked Sparkle City if the book was pressed, and they said yes. So a likely upgrade to a 9.4 may seem unlikely if that was the buyer's plan

There's no way on God's green earth that I'd bid 72k on a pressed book, esp if S/C told me it was pressed. I'd simply spend that 72k on a TOS 39 that is NOT pressed.

To each his own. (shrug)

WOW, that's a lot of coin.. :o

Maybe prices will start to go up again (wishful thinking) hm

That's about the expected range though, no? One of the 9.4 copies went for over double that in March.

Shocking indeed! :o I asked Sparkle City if the book was pressed, and they said yes. So a likely upgrade to a 9.4 may seem unlikely if that was the buyer's plan

I thought they initially said the Sparkle City books were not pressed.

Edit, never mind. I saw that they said some were considered for pressing.

Time for a bump :grin:.

Thanks to Chromium, i'm a new and proud member of the TOS 39 club :acclaim:

tosc0039.jpg

I miss it already :(

I'm sure you do! That is a gorgeous 3.0. I love beautifully presenting lower grade copies like this book.

Guest Grails
here is my old copy now at Metro.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=373447&set=0

I must say, I don't miss it for one second..never care for this key and I love Iron Man. Unlike most, this cover does nothing for me and rank last in my list of marvel keys. Just my opinion so I know everyone else in this thread think the opposite.

My first comic purchase off the rack ever was Iron Man 150.

I think the main reason the cover is not liked by some is because it's lacking a lot of color and Iron Man is not really in a dynamic pose. Later covers with the gold suit were more dynamic and probably why Stan wanted the gold suit and changed the suit repeatedly over the years.

I love the cover though. As Tortoise said, it could be a pre-hero cover. It's very understated. I cherish my TOS 39 and have wanted to own one ever since seeing one as a kid.

I agree other covers are more dynamic and might be better (such as JIM 83, AF15). But look at Hulk 1...it's king of the same thing...

FF 1 was the best in terms of action and being colorful with dynamics. I'm still waiting to get one of those one day...(not likely though).

Part of what makes TOS39 my favorite SA cover is its lack of dynamics. It is simply iconic. As Tortoise mentioned earlier, another aspect that appeals to me is that it doesn't really exude the standard superhero fare. I would take this book with its drab colors over an AF15 of equivalent value.

tosc0039.jpg

I'm sure you do! That is a gorgeous 3.0. I love beautifully presenting lower grade copies like this book.

Me too,nothing wrong with the WOW factor for not alot of money. :applause:

tosc0039.jpg

Me too,nothing wrong with the WOW factor for not alot of money. :applause:

Amen to that...nothing better than beautiful low grade goodness.

tosc0039.jpg

Well it helps that I just replaced it with this one :

tos39f50.jpg

tosc0039.jpg

tos39f50.jpg

beautiful. :cloud9:

tosc0039.jpg

tos39f50.jpg

Let me know when you'll upgrade :baiting: