• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOS 39 club
4 4

683 posts in this topic

I don't have a copy of the book, but I do have this. Can I be in the club?

DSC02608.jpg

That is beyond awesome. Was that a recreation of the cover by Kirby? Just signed by him? I need to know!!!

lol

DSC02608.jpg

That is beyond awesome. Was that a recreation of the cover by Kirby? Just signed by him? I need to know!!!

lol

Yeah, that's the official pencil recreation by Jack that was commissioned and sold by Sotheby's in the 90s before his death. It's a sweet piece of art, and one of the core pieces of my collection.

Actually I did have a high grade copy of TOS 39 but sold it in 1993 to buy my wife's wedding ring. We often refer to the ring as the TOS 39, lol

DSC02608.jpg

lol

Yeah, that's the official pencil recreation by Jack that was commissioned and sold by Sotheby's in the 90s before his death. It's a sweet piece of art, and one of the core pieces of my collection.

Actually I did have a high grade copy of TOS 39 but sold it in 1993 to buy my wife's wedding ring. We often refer to the ring as the TOS 39, lol

I can only imagine what something like that is worth...simply awesome...really I am in awe. (worship)

If I can guess...is it worth more than $40,000?

DSC02608.jpg

lol

I can only imagine what something like that is worth...simply awesome...really I am in awe. (worship)

If I can guess...is it worth more than $40,000?

Thanks for the compliments! :cloud9:

You know, I am not sure what its value is because not many of these recreations have sold recently. Jack did a number of pencil cover recreations (actually so did John Romita and Ayers, and there were a few that were Kirby pencils with Ayers inks) that were sold in the June 18, 1994 Sotheby's Comic Books and Comic Art Auction. I have the auction catalog, and it's amazing what was for sale there! But they don't come up for sale very often, so there's just not much market data to go on.

The Strange Tales 89 recreation is listed on ComicLink right now for $22K Mike Burkey has the AF15 recreation for sale on his site for $55K so I really don't know what this would go for, but I would expect it to be in the ballpark.

It's gorgeous, large art size, and to my knowledge the actual cover has been lost to the ages or is buried in some collection somewhere and may never see the light of day, so this is about as close as anyone's going to get to the real thing.

With all the interest in Iron Man because of the movies, who knows what it would sell for (shrug) .

Of course, since I ain't sellin', it don't matter. :grin:

-Steve

Yeah, I'd say that feedback is killing his prices. A 5.0 (though raw) Hulk 1 selling for only $2k range? :eek: This book sells for $500-$900 in the sub 1.5 range, and easily over $1k for a GD or higher.

raw is a totally different story.

I rarely buy raw off ebay and def wouldnt buy something of this caliber raw of an ebayer with 100% fb let alone 98.8

Agreed with raw but this was a CGC 4.0 for $990, so there are deals out there, albeit this was a gamble because of his slow shipping. 2c

CGC 3.0 just ended for $999 on Ebay, not as good as last months but still a decent price.This shows me best time to buy the Avengers 4, JIM 83 and Showcase 22 low to mid grade will be about this time next year when all the movie hype dies down. 2c

I've had mine for about 2 years but just found the club. It's tough to follow the Kirby recreation, but here goes...

Welcome to the club good sir. :applause:

Thanks! At the time this was the most I'd ever laid out on a collectible, but this purchase was the warm up for my ultimate grail the next summer, the AF 15. The 39 is high on my list of most prized non-Spidey books.

I've had mine for about 2 years but just found the club. It's tough to follow the Kirby recreation, but here goes...

TOS39CGC.jpg

Welcome to the TOS club! You and I are back to back in the registry...very cool

Are you on the hunt for the whole run? I have some under copies that might be for sale once I complete the run all slabbed. :baiting:

Edited by Mark 1

Welcome to the TOS club! You and I are back to back in the registry...very cool

Are you on the hunt for the whole run? I have some under copies that might be for sale once I complete the run all slabbed. :baiting:

Thanks! Always nice to meet a neighbor. Yeah, I am working on the whole run, even the pre-hero stuff (another registry set). I'm shooting for above 6.0 in #1-38, whatever I can afford #39-60, and any grade starting with a 9 from #61-99. So depending on where your undercopies may fall in I would definitely be interested!