• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Was this mentioned here already

supestoughone.jpg

Is that the "birthday" issue? That's gotta be a tough one.

My friend calls it the Jewish Superman variant lol

It was commissioned to Godfrey Bradman son's Bar Mizva. Mixed reports on its run but the most would be 200

Thou shalt not estimate print runs.

supestoughone.jpg

It was commissioned to Godfrey Bradman son's Bar Mizva. Mixed reports on its run but the most would be 200

:golfclap:

fantfab02_sw.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this is the first Tim Vigil work?

I thought he was published in Fantastic Fables 1 (shrug)

Indicia date is March 1987. Dragon Quest, Fantastic Fables #1, Grips and Nightmaster all predate it.

It is (was) rare because it was not distributed due to the printer not being paid. About 10-ish years ago Gary Dolgoff (I think) bought them started selling them.

It is the 1st Cuda, I believe.

Edited by kpaqu1

fantfab02_sw.jpg

If I'm not mistaken this is the first Tim Vigil work?

I thought he was published in Fantastic Fables 1 (shrug)

Indicia date is March 1987. Dragon Quest, Fantastic Fables #1, Grips and Nightmaster all predate it.

It is (was) rare because it was not distributed due to the printer not being paid. About 10-ish years ago Gary Dolgoff (I think) bought them started selling them.

It is the 1st Cuda, I believe. [/quote

Cool, thanks for the info

I thought of another semi-tough book this evening:

Chris Ware's first comic, Floyd Farland:Citizen of the Future, published by Eclipse in 1987. Print run unknown. Based on a newspaper strip he did at the University of Texas at Austin.

Currently there are six copies for sale on eBay, with very high BINs. Guess there's not much demand anymore (or the asking price is too high).

Still, it is a major talent's first published work. Maybe it still has potential?

Also, there's a funny rumor that Ware is actively buying and destorying every copy he can get his hands on. He'd better get cracking!

Great book, quite rare. It is previewed in Guerilla Groundhogs 2 also.

supestoughone.jpg

At a show last year, I was working the CGC booth when an older guy comes up and asks whether I wanted to see something rare. He then pulls out a copy of the Superman Bradman issue.

As I know how pricey this book is, I immediately ask him whether he is going to submit the book. He replies sure and I start grabbing a CGC invoice. When I put it down in front of him, he says "is this for a signed copy?" at which point I was thinking "great - time to explain yet again that unwitnessed signatures cannot get SS labels".

I'm about halfway into my spiel about the differences between blue, green and yellow label books when he looks up at me at says "oh, I'm sorry for confusing you - my name's David Levin, I wrote this book, and I'm interested in submitting it for SS after I sign it".

So he signs it in front of me, we fill out the paperwork and as far as I know it's the only SS copy of that book out there.

Neat!

supestoughone.jpg

At a show last year, I was working the CGC booth when an older guy comes up and asks whether I wanted to see something rare. He then pulls out a copy of the Superman Bradman issue.

As I know how pricey this book is, I immediately ask him whether he is going to submit the book. He replies sure and I start grabbing a CGC invoice. When I put it down in front of him, he says "is this for a signed copy?" at which point I was thinking "great - time to explain yet again that unwitnessed signatures cannot get SS labels".

I'm about halfway into my spiel about the differences between blue, green and yellow label books when he looks up at me at says "oh, I'm sorry for confusing you - my name's David Levin, I wrote this book, and I'm interested in submitting it for SS after I sign it".

So he signs it in front of me, we fill out the paperwork and as far as I know it's the only SS copy of that book out there.

Neat!

Great story.. Looks like you did him a Mitzvah! (pun intended)

supestoughone.jpg

Neat!

Whoa, that's a great story - must not be a great many opportunities to tell that one either, this book isn't talked about that often. Makes me wonder what other goldmines you might be sitting on if just the right book is brought up hm

I thought of another semi-tough book this evening:

Chris Ware's first comic, Floyd Farland:Citizen of the Future, published by Eclipse in 1987. Print run unknown. Based on a newspaper strip he did at the University of Texas at Austin.

Currently there are six copies for sale on eBay, with very high BINs. Guess there's not much demand anymore (or the asking price is too high).

Still, it is a major talent's first published work. Maybe it still has potential?

Also, there's a funny rumor that Ware is actively buying and destorying every copy he can get his hands on. He'd better get cracking!

Great book, quite rare. It is previewed in Guerilla Groundhogs 2 also.

Thanks for the tip... I snagged one of these (GG#2) from a 10 cent box this week!

Edited by Brock

From an eBay listing:

FROM THE VOID

Starting bid: US $15,000.00 :tonofbricks:

"Near Mint. Very Rare -possibly the only copy in existence in this condition. Locally printed in OTTAWA, CANADA with stories and art by Jim Woo and Barry Blair of Elf lord fame.

Beautiful cover. All art in black and white. A few dents on the lower left side but still an amazing item. "

$T2eC16dHJGkE9no8iPv(BRHE)(qcrQ~~60_57.JPG

For that price you can pick up a really, really nice Golden Age comic, or a couple. Or even 3-7 extra nice Silver Ages, especially if you make a combination deal.

That seller has been trying to unload their copy for between $5000 to $75,000 for a few years. It is a rare book but not that rare! As for the sellers claim that they "possibly" have the only copy in that condition, anything is possible, but I personally own a copy.

Divide his asking prices by 100-250 to get a more realistic value. Probably a personal joke of his.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

From an eBay listing:

FROM THE VOID

Starting bid: US $15,000.00 :tonofbricks:

"Near Mint. Very Rare -possibly the only copy in existence in this condition. Locally printed in OTTAWA, CANADA with stories and art by Jim Woo and Barry Blair of Elf lord fame.

Beautiful cover. All art in black and white. A few dents on the lower left side but still an amazing item. "

$T2eC16dHJGkE9no8iPv(BRHE)(qcrQ~~60_57.JPG

For that price you can pick up a really, really nice Golden Age comic, or a couple. Or even 3-7 extra nice Silver Ages, especially if you make a combination deal.

That seller has been trying to unload their copy for between $5000 to $75,000 for a few years. It is a rare book but not that rare! I personally own a copy: divide his asking prices by 100-250 to get a more realistic value.

Probably a personal joke of his.

I own one as well.But...we are both in Ottawa..go figure..