• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

Bought a collection yesterday with a bunch of Elf Lord stuff, as well as other Aircel titles. Doubt there's anything rare, but I'll get into it further tonight.

In the meantime, hit up a 50 cent sale at the LCS this weekend. None of these are rare or valuable, but it's still a nice little trip down amnesia lane for you fellow copper lovers!

Photo Apr 16, 6 08 21 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 16, 6 08 43 PM.jpg

On 4/1/2017 at 10:01 AM, lou_fine said:

From the link to the pictures of the various covers, it looks like I might actually have a copy of Nightwynd #1 in my collection.  :banana:

Any idea as to its print run and estimated current value in the marketplace in high grade?  :wishluck:

No idea on either.   I think you mean windblade?  Here's a link to the cover I googled up

I'm happy I didn't sell mine and thanks so much to spreads for recently selling me b/w Elflord 1,2 and 6.

If anyone has b/w cover elflord issues they are looking to sell please pm me.

4820911-win1.jpg

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Bought a collection yesterday with a bunch of Elf Lord stuff, as well as other Aircel titles. Doubt there's anything rare, but I'll get into it further tonight.

In the meantime, hit up a 50 cent sale at the LCS this weekend. None of these are rare or valuable, but it's still a nice little trip down amnesia lane for you fellow copper lovers!

Photo Apr 16, 6 08 21 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 16, 6 08 43 PM.jpg

I'm going through my comics right now separating my indies. I have a bunch of these books. Always looking to fill in holes. Nice stuff.

On 1/13/2017 at 10:52 AM, Chadwick said:

He was in the documentary King of Kong, which highlights the battle for worldwide high score in Donkey Kong. He is... interesting indeed. Great documentary to watch though, especially if you spent anytime in an arcade in the 80s.

great documentary

On 3/30/2017 at 7:49 PM, ThothAmon said:

Maybe not Canadian though.  What game was he playing?  Tron?

It's a Canadian Price Variant.  The regular copy has the $1.00 US and $1.25 CDN price and that has the single $1.25 CDN.

5 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I'd like to see of the hardest 80's books to find some non variant from Marvel and DC, not some obscure "Independent book printed in their basement" no one has ever heard of.   

The Mindividual_without_enough_empathy strikes again!

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Like what?

yeah, I don't think there's going to be a lot from the big two in the 1980's that is going to be hard to find. But I live to be proven wrong!

6 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I'd like to see of the hardest 80's books to find some non variant from Marvel and DC, not some obscure "Independent book printed in their basement" no one has ever heard of.   

Unless it was for some kid's birthday party, what 80's DC or Marvel non-variant could possibly be rare?  I don't think they bothered printing unless 50,000 were getting spit out.

Edited by the blob

If that's your criteria, there's nothing that qualifies. Probably the lowest print run of any mainstream superhero book was Pete Cannon Thunderbolt in the early 90s, but even that had legitimate (~7500 ) sales.

23 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

If that's your criteria, there's nothing that qualifies. Probably the lowest print run of any mainstream superhero book was Pete Cannon Thunderbolt in the early 90s, but even that had legitimate (~7500 ) sales.

It went 12 issues, it must have been better than 7500 in that era, no?

Loving this topic. I remember a lot of these books during the whole 1980s independent comic boom.

Here is a suggestion. MEGATON #2 featuring first appearance of SAVAGE DRAGON by Erik Larson. Not expensive but hard to find in high grade.

megaton-megaton-issue-3.jpg

55 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Loving this topic. I remember a lot of these books during the whole 1980s independent comic boom.

Here is a suggestion. MEGATON #2 featuring first appearance of SAVAGE DRAGON by Erik Larson. Not expensive but hard to find in high grade.

megaton-megaton-issue-3.jpg

There is another extremely hard to find Dragon comic, but I can't remember what it is. I know it had a tiny print run and, somewhere, I've got an envelope with black and white copies of the entire comic. I'll have to dig it out this weekend and post some pics.

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

There is another extremely hard to find Dragon comic, but I can't remember what it is. I know it had a tiny print run and, somewhere, I've got an envelope with black and white copies of the entire comic. I'll have to dig it out this weekend and post some pics.

Most likely the B&W Graphic Fantasy book that he and some buddies self-published.

Never heard of the Graphic Fantasy books. Would like to see one.

Here is another book I think is pretty rare. I've been trying to get a high grade copy for years but most seems pretty beat up.

Comico Primer #2 has first appearance of GRENDEL. While not a hot character at the moment he was during the 1980s.

GrendelPrimer2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Never heard of the Graphic Fantasy books. Would like to see one.

Here is another book I think is pretty rare. I've been trying to get a high grade copy for years but most seems pretty beat up.

Comico Primer #2 has first appearance of GRENDEL. While not a hot character at the moment he was during the 1980s.

GrendelPrimer2.jpg

One of my all time favorite books. High grade copies are just not out there for sale. Either they're all socked away, or they don't exist. I finally, after years of searching, found a strong 9.6/9.8 candidate at a con last year. Jumped on it as soon as I saw it. If there's ever any sort of tv/movie hype attached to the book, this one will skyrocket, because it's just not out there in grade in appreciable numbers. 

2016-03-13 19.58.54.jpg

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

One of my all time favorite books. High grade copies are just not out there for sale. Either they're all socked away, or they don't exist. I finally, after years of searching, found a strong 9.6/9.8 candidate at a con last year. Jumped on it as soon as I saw it. If there's ever any sort of tv/movie hype attached to the book, this one will skyrocket, because it's just not out there in grade in appreciable numbers. 

2016-03-13 19.58.54.jpg

That is a beauty! It must be that black cover. Almost everyone I've seen has color breaks up and down the spine. You are very lucky to have found one in such fantastic condition.