• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 80's books.
9 9

1,000 posts in this topic

The first time I saw Primer #2 was in 1987 in a tiny 1/2" x 1/2" image in the OCBPG. I was going to art school at the time and fell in love with that image so much that I xeroxed and resized it to fit my canvas and recreated it from that grainy copy. Needless to say it came out like sh*t, but thats just how obsessed I was with that cover before even seeing it in person a year or two later (couldnt afford to buy a copy back then)

17 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

That is a beauty! It must be that black cover. Almost everyone I've seen has color breaks up and down the spine. You are very lucky to have found one in such fantastic condition.

Thanks, yeah, the black cover is brutal. This is definitely the nicest copy I've ever own, probably the nicest I've ever seen in person. Couldn't get my wallet out fast enough when I saw it haha

Here's an extremely hard book to find from the early copper age. MANGAZINE v2 #9 by Antarctic Press. What is so significant about this book?It contains the very first appearance of Fred Perry's cult hit GOLD DIGGER series. A comic still running to this day with over 250 issues and counting!

img_sQsA7giUin5Uh5l_r.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Here's an extremely hard book to find from the early copper age. MANGAZINE v2 #9 by Antarctic Press. What is so significant about this book?It contains the very first appearance of Fred Perry's cult hit GOLD DIGGER series. A comic still running to this day with over 250 issues and counting!

why does the cgc label say 1989 but the comic says 1991?  would be later copper either way. 

With that said...wow, I can't believe Gold Digger has gone that many issues.  Frankly, i think i have only heard of it because someone here mentioned it previously, I don't remember ever seeing it in a shop or cheap-o bin (including a recent reviewe of about 100,000 garbage comics at Joe Koch's Avalanche of Wonder) and I think if I saw an obscure book in the 200s I have never heard of i would take a look, like i did with Knights of the Dinner Table. 

4 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Def a tough book to find. Although Gold Digger doesn't appeal to the average comic reader/collector it does have some die hard fans although most of them would pay more money for gold digger 1 than this book for some reason

32 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I tried pretty hard to track down the Gold Digger Mangazine book and failed.  I ended up doing this book, which I am pretty sure has his first published work.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=17944&GSub=1563

Awesome book dude! However, I think his very first published work is in NINJA HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK #1.

On 4/28/2017 at 4:11 PM, Dogsupreme said:

Here's an interesting tid-bit. STRANGERS IN PARADISE #1 1st prints are very rare. With a print run of less than 1800 copies and the infamous black cover curse very few of these are hard to find in high grade in the wild.

antarctic-press-strangers-in-paradise-issue-1.jpg

1st prints are tough in high grade, but they really aren't particularly rare - you can pick up a copy on eBay any day of the week. Also - the print run for the first print was 3,000.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:13 PM, Dogsupreme said:

Looks like the grader thought it was issue #1, not #11 from the date of 1989.

23 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Looks like the grader thought it was issue #1, not #11 from the date of 1989.

Yep. I have a Hercules #11 from the old DC series that has a #1 label.

On 1/6/2013 at 12:27 PM, Warlord said:

No, I wouldn't consider doing that. It's gonna stay intact. I wouldn't mind having a loose copy of the book though... just have to decide if I want to search for another 9 years to get one of those! lol

Loose copy!  :banana: Ha, I was too pessimistic, it took only 8 years!   :banana:    Finally I can *read* the story! :banana:

216066817_WarlordRemcoMiniComicBattleBeneathTheEarth-f.jpg.4570bcf7358d478812eb8f810a2171f4.jpg2144939972_WarlordMiniComicBattleBeneathTheEarth-b.jpg.d80f8c4d8d38b71f04e691ef51f0d9d1.jpg