• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does anyone collect mid-grade silver age?

48 posts in this topic

i was wondering about this..........

obviously there is a large collector/speculator market for high-grade silver age, and many people buy low-grade 'reading copies' of otherwise expensive silver age books......

but where is the market for the mid-grade stuff?

i personally would buy a fine copy of a book if it had good 'eye appeal'.........

do any of you guys buy mid-grade silver, if so what is your motivation?

I tend to buy a lot of mid-grade Silver Age. I'm trying to complete runs of many different titles, and if I stuck to just NM I wouldn't be able to afford it.

A Fine comic still has very nice eye appeal, and is structurally sound. Best of all, you can read it without fear of damaging it!

Oh, I just thought of another reason to collect Fine books...they can be found at a discount! You can find tons of Silver Age Fines at 50% of guide! Try finding NMs at 50% off.

I'm trying to fill runs of AS and FF, so I will buy VG to Fine copies, especially since the price is so reasonable on this material right now. Eventually I'll also buy some CGCed High Grade copies of some of my favorite issues for eye appeal, but I'm gonna concentrate on completing the runs at a reasonable price first.

By the way, just read FF from 45-50...WOW! Great stuff, some of the finest comic books ever written and the Kirby/Sinnot art is just amazing. I can't wait to complete the FF set, it truly is the World's Greatest Comic Magazine! Or in the top 10, anyway! cool.gif

How did you post without logging in?

It won't let me do that!

Mid grade silver age is fine by me. The mint stuff is so out of my price range I have to go with the mid grade stuff now. Lucky for me I started collecting comics way back when the prices were low.

Just like everyone else - give me that mid-grade silver when the high grade stuff gets out of my price range. I'm in the market for JLA 1-4 and the first 20 issues of FF....let's just say there's no way I'll be able to afford the high grade issues. I'll take a nice fine on any of them (probably will have to settle for a VG on that FF #1 laugh.gif )

I buy a lot of silver age mid grade Marvels . Especially if the price is right (meaning cheap) . There is a limited supply of hi-grade so you take what you can get at the prices you can afford .

I have collected almost full runs of the Marvel silver titles to read. I have had some mid-grade books slabbed, and I also buy mid-grade silvers (slabbed or not) on occasion to read & add to the collection. Some mid-grade books I wish I hadn't slabbed, like my only copy of ASM #14 (6.0), I looked through the book once & never read it after having it for some 20 years. confused.gif

I bought a lot of mid grade 6.5 to 8.5 books when cgc first started because I did not think you would see books in 9.2 and above on a regualr basis. I have upgraded on many of those books and have had no trouble in selling the mid grade books at a profit - so there is obviously a strong Market for reasonably priced mid grade Marvel silver. It is hard to get above guide prices though for any book with a cgc grade of 8.0 or less unless it is one of those hard to find books like Spidey 11 of FF 13 or something.

My guess is that if prices remain high, you'll see a lot of people begin "mid grade collections". There's lots of people out there that want books, and it could be only a matter of time they decide to "settle" for a lower grade. Plus, it's probably the jump-on point for anyone who's looking to begin collection Silver Age.

Brian

.........hopefully, there are also still collectors out there who like nice looking books (some fine+ books have great eye appeal), with no major defects..........who don't get too caught up with owning the 'perfect copy'...........

It's always fun to sift through boxes of mid-grade silver & bronze Marvels, Gold Keys, and DC's and buy decent FN quality reading copies. As more high grade books are slabbed in the next few years, a trend could develop where mid-grade books will be highly sought after.

"As more high grade books are slabbed in the next few years, a trend could develop where mid-grade books will be highly sought after."

.......definately agree with that for anything pre-1965..........those books are tough, and expensive to find in VF and above.............. shocked.gif