• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does anyone collect mid-grade silver age?

48 posts in this topic

i just picked up an avengers #5 (cgc 6.0) for guide and have noticed that fine cgc

copies OFTEN go for guide and less(thereby making the slab FREE).I was very happy with the grade,considering that comics on the convention circuit in the grade that this particular comic was in often go for closer to the VF price.CGC slabbed fines are, more often than not,very nice examples(particularly if the book is more scarce and has nice pages.)i sure would like to find an F.F. #18 like this one.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Those could all be 2.0 and I'd still love to have that group!

I strive for 6.0-7.0 on my pre-hero Marvel collection. Lots of eye appeal without the price tag of the 8.0 and higher books. They are plenty expensive in Fine!

I strive for 6.0-7.0 on my pre-hero Marvel collection. Lots of eye appeal without the price tag of the 8.0 and higher books. They are plenty expensive in Fine!

Ditto! My TOS 1-38 set is an avg. grade of 5.5 right now...6.0 being the sweet spot. These are all kept raw in mylars...nice 6.0-ish copies look spectacular in mylars! :cloud9: I'll splurge for a 7.0 occasionally if the price is right...same goes for all Pre-Hero books for me...

Here's an example of a CGC graded 6.0 (I sent this one in...still think it's a 6.5 minimum... :censored: )...doesn't really matter...I cracked it out when I got it back and put it back in a mylar... :insane:

TALESOFSUSPENSE28CGC60OWW_zpsd306018e.jpg

Ditto! My TOS 1-38 set is an avg. grade of 5.5 right now...6.0 being the sweet spot. These are all kept raw in mylars...nice 6.0-ish copies look spectacular in mylars! :cloud9: I'll splurge for a 7.0 occasionally if the price is right...same goes for all Pre-Hero books for me...

Here's an example of a CGC graded 6.0 (I sent this one in...still think it's a 6.5 minimum... :censored: )...doesn't really matter...I cracked it out when I got it back and put it back in a mylar... :insane:

TALESOFSUSPENSE28CGC60OWW_zpsd306018e.jpg

That is indeed a pretty book that I'd be happy with. Has all the eye appeal of an 8.0 except for that light crease in the lower right. That's probably what knocked it down to a 6.0, but I agree that it could be a 6.5 on a different day as I've got plenty of books in 6.5 holders that look worse.

Well yes I buy mid grade silver. Sadly even low grade sometimes. My AF15 is a 3.5. My other keys don't reach higher than a 5.0. Most books that are not keys I ranged from 5.5-8.0. If I were wealthy then those grades would be higher. :)

lol I didn't even look at the time stamps when I read the thread this morning!

Does it matter?

(shrug)

Not to me, I would have responded anyway. I just didn't realize that the thread was that old and always get a chuckle when someone resurrects a thread that old at random. It's still a valid question/discussion.

Most of you know i'm kind of a HG snob when i can afford to be. There are plenty of SA books though that that isnt even a possibility. One of these days i want a nice looking Hulk1, FF1 and a handful of others. HG isnt even a possibility. I'm hoping to find a nice eye appeal mid grade copy and i'd be MORE than happy with that. Hell, those books, i might not even be able to swing a mid grade copy :sorry:

lol I didn't even look at the time stamps when I read the thread this morning!

Does it matter?

(shrug)

Not to me, I would have responded anyway. I just didn't realize that the thread was that old and always get a chuckle when someone resurrects a thread that old at random. It's still a valid question/discussion.

:gossip: Hepcat has a chip on his shoulder about this subject because people give him a hard time when he's digging up old threads.

Mid-grade is my ideal target for Silver Age as long as the book has appropriate eye appeal and also has excellent page quality.

Such mid-graders can present well in a mylar, can be handled without worry or fuss, and often can be obtained at reasonable prices.

Most of my collection (any age) is between F and VF in grade.

I tend to pick NM copies only of books I particularly love or consider more meaningful for the story.

The little GA I have is mostly low grade, with some getting close to F, but this is just because of the rarity and the prices.

In general, whatever grade I buy, for me the book has to hold together: I would favor a low to mid grade book, if it presents well, over a high grade book with a significant flaw like a popped staple.

I also don’t care if there are issues going on with the back cover, as long as it is an advertisement picture. I have a Fantastic Four which would be easily a stunning NM but has water damage on the back cover. :)

I also don’t care if there are issues going on with the back cover....

Good man, Claudio - I actively hunt such books because the technical grade (and price) usually plummets, and who displays the back cover of the book anyway.

To me, the back cover is the least important part of a comic (front cover, pages, and spine taking priority)