• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP George Steinbrenner

29 posts in this topic

George Steinbrenner passed away today at the age of 80. Reports are he had a massive heart attack. Owner of the new york yankees the team you either loved or hated. He will be missed.

Now he'll join Billy Martin (4 time Yankee Manager) in the great Stadium in the sky to continue their love/hate relationship.

For me, George Steinbrenner will never be forgotten, especially because of the satirical character of him from the TV show Seinfeld. The fictitious Steinbrenner character, voiced by Larry David, and only seen from the rear (back of his head), was George Costanza's employer on Seinfeld for many hilarious episodes (as George Costanza worked for the N.Y. Yankees). They made him out to be flaky, quirky, unpredictable, eccentric, half-nuts, capricious and fickle. That series of Steinbrenner episodes were so mirthful and entertaining. Larry David's great, but that's subject for another post.

RIP Steinbrenner

As a fan with close ties to the Ohio-area, with all the talk of LeBron James leaving and how Cleveland is now devastated, we should remember that 40-years ago, a Cleveland native and avid Cleveland Indians fan attempted to buy his beloved team. But he was rejected.

That man would wait three years to finally acquire a baseball team - the New York Yankees.

Just imagine how different sports history (and Cleveland) would have been had George brought the Tribe ?

THE CATCH (Mays) ... THE DRIVE (Elway) ... THE FUMBLE (Byner) ... THE SHOT (Jordan) ... THE SINGLE (Mesa) ... THE MOVE (Modell) ... THE DECISION (LeBum).

They can add "THE REJECTION" in there in a torturous filled half-century plus for Cleveland sport fans.

So, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for ~$10 million and now they're valued at well north of a billion dollars. And, given that George just passed away and 2010 is the one year with a 0% estate tax due to a tax loophole, he's going to be able to pass his share of the team on to his heirs tax-free.

The Boss - a winner even in death. :applause:

So, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for ~$10 million and now they're valued at well north of a billion dollars. And, given that George just passed away and 2010 is the one year with a 0% estate tax due to a tax loophole, he's going to be able to pass his share of the team on to his heirs tax-free.

He didn't cheat death, but The Boss figured out a way to cheat the next sure thing - taxes! :applause:

But when they sell they will have GS' carry-over basis, so capital gains will be a beeyotch.

From a long time Yankee fan,and on the day of the All Star Game.Thanx for all the memories .R.I.P Mr. Steinbrenner

This is so true. The man put his money where his mouth was and fielded a quality product. As a lifelong fan, he made possible a lot of family entertainment and memories. I only hope the management continues in his tradition so my kids have the opportunity to see the types of teams I have been able to follow for the past 35 years.

People tend to forget, but at one point Mr S was perhaps the most hated man in NYC. His meddling ruined the Yankees and chased off some of the best executives in the business. I was at the game when it was announced he had been suspended from baseball( for the second time). The small crowd stood on its feet and cheered so loudly that the umpires had to stop the game. It was only while in exile from the team he truly loved that he became the man we now fondly remember.

I. myself, became a Yankee fan the year after he bought the team and under his generalship I've seen them win seven World Titles, and watched his intial ten million dollar investment grow into a multi-billion dollar colossus. People tend to think only of his Yankees, but it's the Yankee Network where the real money lies.

Rest in Peace, Mr S- You've earned it.

RIP George. Reminds me of when Harold Ballard died a years ago (Maple Leafs owner), a true legendary owner.

doh!doh!doh!

Steinbrenner WON championships and built a franchise juggernaut that spanned decades.

What in the world does that have to do with Ballard?