• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edgar Church heirs

42 posts in this topic

Was there ever a move by the Church family after the Mile High collection was found to get the comics back and resell once they realized how much of a goldmine they had and let go? I know from reading Chuck's story of the purchase that they really just wanted to get rid of them to sell the house. Hindsight is 20/20 though. I've always heard Chuck only paid 10 cents a copy and that number just seems ridiculous at the overall value of the collection.

For that matter I wonder if they even know the significance Edgar had to the collectible side of the hobby?

Was there ever a move by the Church family after the Mile High collection was found to get the comics back and resell once they realized how much of a goldmine they had and let go? I know from reading Chuck's story of the purchase that they really just wanted to get rid of them to sell the house. Hindsight is 20/20 though. I've always heard Chuck only paid 10 cents a copy and that number just seems ridiculous at the overall value of the collection.

For that matter I wonder if they even know the significance Edgar had to the collectible side of the hobby?

I don't know whether the Church family ever made a move to get the comics back from Chuck, but I am 99% certain they know the significance that Edgar had to the collectible side of the hobby. (thumbs u

Several attempts were made to reach Edgar Church's daughter for the Pedigree book, whom is still alive. She would not reply back. :sorry:

West

So you guys didn't have any better luck than I did in speaking with the daughter. :sorry:

Why would the heirs want to talk to anyone about it? Even though everything I have read shows the transaction was arms-length and they got what they asked for, the heirs have to be sick to their respective stomachs about selling millions of dollars of comics for a dime a piece.

What's cool about it? It's tantamount to trying to track down ancestors of the native american tribesmen that sold Manhattan to see if they still have any of the glass beads or trinkets. If I was a Church heir, the last thing I would ever want to do is talk about f-ing comic books.

What's cool about it? It's tantamount to trying to track down ancestors of the native american tribesmen that sold Manhattan to see if they still have any of the glass beads or trinkets. If I was a Church heir, the last thing I would ever want to do is talk about f-ing comic books.

I would imagine for the heirs, it would be like living everyday of their lives with the feeling of being on the extreme polar end of a spectrum where the opposite end was hitting the megamillions lotto.

Why would the heirs want to talk to anyone about it? Even though everything I have read shows the transaction was arms-length and they got what they asked for, the heirs have to be sick to their respective stomachs about selling millions of dollars of comics for a dime a piece.

Why wouldn't the heirs want to talk about it? We don't even know if they are aware of todays value of the collection. Not everyone is so centered on the value of things and the all mighty buck. :pullhair:

Why wouldn't the heirs want to talk about it? We don't even know if they are aware of todays value of the collection. Not everyone is so centered on the value of things and the all mighty buck. :pullhair:

There is no way that you could be this vacuous. Why wouldn't the heirs want to talk about it? Because whomever sold those books screwed the pooch. Assuming arguendo that the heirs would have gotten the proceeds of the sale of the books at FMV over the past 30 years, it was an epic pooch screwing. No one wants to do interviews about screwing the pooch. No one wants to tell you how screwing the pooch feels. It sucks.

If you think that some heir of Edgar Church is going to give you an interview saying that he or she "is just glad that all these books made it into the hands of loving collectors" then you need to wake up. You love comics. Chances are those people don't. And the amount of money that they could have gotten to pursue the things that they love probably keeps them up at night from time to time.

C'mon, let's get real here. Unless the heirs are still living in a bomb shelter all these years, are you so naive enough to REALLY think that they still have absolutely ZERO clues about a collection named after one of the family ?

And what would you expect them to say ?

"My father/mother/uncle/aunt sold my grandfather/grandmother's collection of funny books that are worth a fortune, for pennies on the (insert 'thousands') dollar. I could have retired awhile ago but instead am still stuck working this #@!#$ cash register at the local supermarket having nerds like you asking me annoying questions about how my family feels about the collection today. Now what do else do you wanna ask, sonny ? Paper or plastic ? "

Your discussion is pointless. Even if they had not sold to Chuck, they would have liquidated the collection long ago by now. They would not have sit on it for 30+ years waiting for CGC to happen and HG multiples to explode as they have. These books would have been liquidated well prior the '90's and STILL they would have to face the :doh: why did I sell too early. All this 20 / 20 hindsight doesn't change no matter what the time frame you're using.

There is no way that you could be this vacuous. Why wouldn't the heirs want to talk about it? Because whomever sold those books screwed the pooch. Assuming arguendo that the heirs would have gotten the proceeds of the sale of the books at FMV over the past 30 years, it was an epic pooch screwing. No one wants to do interviews about screwing the pooch. No one wants to tell you how screwing the pooch feels. It sucks.

If you think that some heir of Edgar Church is going to give you an interview saying that he or she "is just glad that all these books made it into the hands of loving collectors" then you need to wake up. You love comics. Chances are those people don't. And the amount of money that they could have gotten to pursue the things that they love probably keeps them up at night from time to time.

Its not a pooch screwing if the transaction was arms-length and the heirs got what they asked for. Sure the collection today is worth millions of dollars, but realistically what was the FMV of the collection back then. Would another dealer in the Denver area have even been willing to offer substantially more, who knows. It is probably likely that if Chuck didn't buy the collection then the collection would have hit the garbage can. Obviously the collection was worth a lot more than the supposed couple of thousand dollars that Chuck paid, but not an overwhelming amount more.

Hindsight is 20/20. Why be bitter today about a transaction that you did 30 years ago? Sure I understand the heirs might have some second thoughts, but to be bitter about it over 30 years later seems pointless to me. (shrug)

I don't know...in reading Chuck's account of it they really seemed cold and detatched showing absolutely zero interest in the books as history, letting him in for very brief periods. I get the sense that paranoia was setting in for Chuck just being around them. Honestly I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for those specific individuals involved. Any other relations that might have later had regret upon hearing what was done is a different story but they seem non-interested as well if they don't wish to contribute to the book.

Plenty of old timers in the hobby have taken a different attitude. Lamont Larson didn't seem bitter after hearing about his collection. He even shared anecdotes about it and seemed pleased yet surprised that a lot of attention was being placed upon him. He no longer owned those books and gained no monetary benefit from them. The family of Malcolm Wheeler Nicholson also cared enough to relate stories about their relative in what might be the ultimate in "screw the pooch" stories and have said they aren't interested in legally pursuing any claim - just making people aware of the Major's contribution.

I think people's true character comes out in situations like this. The jury is still out on the Church heirs.

I don't know...in reading Chuck's account of it they really seemed cold and detatched showing absolutely zero interest in the books as history, letting him in for very brief periods. I get the sense that paranoia was setting in for Chuck just being around them. Honestly I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for those specific individuals involved. Any other relations that might have later had regret upon hearing what was done is a different story but they seem non-interested as well if they don't wish to contribute to the book.

Plenty of old timers in the hobby have taken a different attitude. Lamont Larson didn't seem bitter after hearing about his collection. He even shared anecdotes about it and seemed pleased yet surprised that a lot of attention was being placed upon him. He no longer owned those books and gained no monetary benefit from them. The family of Malcolm Wheeler Nicholson also cared enough to relate stories about their relative in what might be the ultimate in "screw the pooch" stories and have said they aren't interested in legally pursuing any claim - just making people aware of the Major's contribution.

I think people's true character comes out in situations like this. The jury is still out on the Church heirs.

:golfclap:

:golfclap:

thats why it would be interesting to hear their story because, come on, do we really trust Chucks memory mixed with his need to be the hero and obscure a young man's greed to get the books as cheaply as possible??

The Church books would have been thrown out.

Chuck got a great deal.

We enjoy the books.

The Church family, got the $ Chuck borrowed to get the books.

If I remember correctly, Chuck paid back the $ with Church books.

Everyone was happy at the time.

:gossip: My grandmother gave away all of my fathers 1940's comic books. Found out when he took me to her house when I was 12 so that we could pick them up when I told my dad the were worth big bucks. I was bummed out the whole way home. Maybe I should sue my family because she did this. :makepoint: