• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Comics for CGC at a Comic Convention

49 posts in this topic

I amconsidering dropping my comics off to be graded with CGC at NYCC this fall versus dropping them off at my local affiliated comic book store. I was wondering if the tier pricing was the same for both and/or if I would save a little on shipping by bringing them to NYC?

Edited by bogglekng

• Administrator

The tier pricing is the same for regular turnaround (not on-site) grading tiers at a convention. You would be saving on the cost of insuring and shipping the books to our facility, all other charges would be the same.

Hi,

I was looking for some clarification on the on-site grading. The minimum cost to get a book graded and picked up the same weekend is $120, correct(max $1500)? The savings is not having to pay shipping/insurance to/from the CGC facility?

The services page lists 2.5% FMV††, with the min/max at $120/$1500....so just wanted to make sure I was reading that correctly.

Thanks,

Frank

• Administrator

At this time the pricing for on-site grading is as follows:

* Modern (Comics 1980-present valued $200 or less) - $24

* Economy (Comics valued $300 or less) - $45

* Standard (Comics valued $1,000 or less) - $75

* Express (Comics valued $3,000 or less) - $125

* WalkThru (Comics any value) – min $150 max $1,500 2.5% FMV

The books are guaranteed to be completed by the end of the convention.

As as a follow-up to this question, If I had 40-50 books I wanted to onsite grade could I work out "bulk payment" option?

Secondly, would you do pre-screening at on-site grading?

Hasta,

Pablo

• Administrator

We don't offer any bulk grading discounts for On-Site grading events.

We generally don't offer prescreen services at on-site grading events but may accept them with the understanding that they are our last priority and will likely be sent to the office for grading anyway.

Gemma,

When dropping off comics at a con for CGC to take back to Sarasota, how should the comics be packaged? I'm assuming as usual, with up to 5 comics between cardboard, just like for mailing, but should they then be in another box? In other words, just like for shipping to HQ, but without the postage,etc.?

What do you guys prefer?

• Administrator

You do not need to pack your comics in any way as CGC will want to inspect them against the invoice prior to packaging them for shipment.

• Administrator

You do not need to be a member to submit comics at a convention. However, if you fill out the submission forms in advance online (either through Collectors Society or one of our internet Affiliates) you will receive the 10% discount on your grading fees.

Regarding on-site grading at NYCC - with a book already in a CGC slab (aka a re-sub) is it possible to get the opinion of the CGC rep on-site of a book's potential for a grade-bump?

. . . and

Is it better to leave the book in CGC slab or should I remove it from the slab prior to bringing it to the Con?

• Administrator
Hello,

I am thinking of using a coupon at NYCC. Can I only use it at the CGC booth? Or can it be used with another company such as Desert Wind Comics to pay for the grading fees as well?

You can only use the coupon with CGC for the Collectors Society Express tier and not for Signature Series.

• Administrator
Regarding on-site grading at NYCC - with a book already in a CGC slab (aka a re-sub) is it possible to get the opinion of the CGC rep on-site of a book's potential for a grade-bump?

. . . and

Is it better to leave the book in CGC slab or should I remove it from the slab prior to bringing it to the Con?

If a grader is available they may be able to review the comic in the case somewhat, but it is best to call the office beforehand and inquire about the graders notes and the potential for a review. If the book is a good candidate for review then you should bring it to the convention still in its case in order to prevent any damage.

. . . and

If a grader is available they may be able to review the comic in the case somewhat, but it is best to call the office beforehand and inquire about the graders notes and the potential for a review. If the book is a good candidate for review then you should bring it to the convention still in its case in order to prevent any damage.

This answers my question. Just to clarify, I've already called and I do have the graders notes. They reinforce my opinion the book might potentially get a grade bump if resubmitted.

Thank you!

You do not need to pack your comics in any way as CGC will want to inspect them against the invoice prior to packaging them for shipment.

So just show up with the comics as is? Or however we think we're protecting it, and you guys will do the rest?

I'm doing this for the Long Beach Comic Con btw.

You do not need to be a member to submit comics at a convention. However, if you fill out the submission forms in advance online (either through Collectors Society or one of our internet Affiliates) you will receive the 10% discount on your grading fees.

Does the 10% discount apply if I fill out a signature submission form? Does the discount also apply to on-site grading?