• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

55 posts in this topic

Well as I mentioned earlier, I treat PGX like it's a raw book. I asked for hi res front and back cover scans. Upon recieving it, I could see nothing that would make it fall below a 4.0. I also predicted a PG bump. It was a good deal at 1K.

No, this isn't another thread about which one is better. Well, not really. I have half a dozen books I had slabbed by PGX back in my naive youth. I recently cracked them out and sent them to CGC and just picked them up at the PO today. Thought people might be interested in the differences. All of these books were bought by my dad so I knew ahead of time there was no restoration - this is strictly about grading.

FourColor159-3.jpg

FourColor159BC.jpg

FourColor159CGC.jpg

When I read the heading for this thread, I thought this could be fun. I panned down the image, checking out the PGX book and grading it as I saw it. My first thought was "over-graded". I thought the DD could not be higher than a 5.0....continue to scroll.....bingo!

ClaireCoyant3FC.jpg

ClaireVoyant3BC.jpg

ClaireVoyant3CGC.jpg

Scrolled down.......called a 4.5 as soon as I saw the back cover.

I am 2 for 2. I know that I have no actual prrof that I am getting them right.....just my word. Man PGX can truly screw the pooch.

That's awesome. I just bumped 4 old threads in the grading forum for the other slabs i got back from CGC in the same batch. You can post your grade if you want and I'll put the slab scans up in a bit.

ForbiddenWorlds1-1.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds1BC.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds1CGC.jpg

3 for 3....honest to God.

i believe you.

but 1/4 grade falls into acceptable tolerance to me, and can't be really used for any qualitative purpose. i truly believe if you sent books repeatedly to cgc as a test, you'd get quarter-grade variances on the same book.

actioncomics7fromcgc003.jpg

Here's the photo that was used for cover reference, BTW (if you happened to have missed it in BangZoom's thread):

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

I remember seeing it now but, I had forgot. Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u