• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Automatic submission to CGC after pressing comics

13 posts in this topic

Wouldn't this (see below) make it obvious to CGC that the comics had been pressed - and therefore lead to a note on the label ? A good thing of course in terms of proper disclosure of manipulation of the comic. Or am I missing something here ?

(quote)

Quality Comix now offers a professional pressing service for our customers. Turnaround times are extremely fast and come with a guarantee that if the turnaround times are not met, a 50% reduction in fees will be applied to that invoice.

NOTE: If you'd like us to send the books directly to CGC for you, our staff will send them directly and apply our 20% dealer discount to the CGC order. Payment will be calculated and handled separately from the pressing fees.

(unquote)

No, it wouldn't. If I send 10 books to Brent, he might call me and say "Jeff, only 5 of these have pressable defects". So, I have him press 5, but I might have him send all 10 to CGC. That way I can take advantage of his nifty 20% discount.

Anyway, this is a topic for Comics General, not here.

Comic pressing is a gray area considered by most.

Do I think it's ethical?

Maybe Not, but Maybe Yes.

A comic can be pressed on "accident" if it had sat under another heavier book for years.

With pressing nothing is added, on stress is relived from the pages. So it's not restoration of a book really.

Would I press a book? Nope.

Would I buy a book pressed? Yes.

And nearmint is right this is a Comics General thread.

CGC would be making an assumption that any books coming from Brent, or Matt Nelson, etc with a return shipment to the customer would have been pressed.

This is simply not true. Since both offer raw comics as dealers, a customer can purchase a book and request they send it to CGC for them.

While it would be nice if CGC could identify pressing and note it on the label, I don't think it's possible.

Do dealers still get 20% discount? For some reason I thought that had been halved to 10% discount a while back. If it's still 20%, one would have real incentive to submit through the dealers who still get 20%, would it not?

Wouldn't this make it obvious to CGC that the comics had been pressed - and therefore lead to a note on the label ?

No.

Or am I missing something here ?

Yes.

Wouldn't this make it obvious to CGC that the comics had been pressed - and therefore lead to a note on the label ?

No.

Yes.

Richard, your succinctness knows no equal. (worship)

Why muddy the issue with verbiage? :grin:

No.

Yes.

Richard, your succinctness knows no equal. (worship)

Why muddy the issue with verbiage? :grin:

Quite :preach: