• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting sells for $1.5 million at San Diego Comicon

129 posts in this topic

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and nonstop airplay and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so that's a lot of jack for just about anybody.

You'd be pretty amazed at how much you make in just royalties alone from back catalog when you're in one of those very top echelon musical acts (which of course Metallica is).

Then throw in income from new record sales (which is cyclical) and touring (which is a goldmine for a lot of older acts).

Forget touring - bands make very little on actually playing the concerts - most of the big money comes from merchandising - and let's face it, Metallica has sold more t-shirts, etc. than any other heavy metal band.

I remember watching the Behind the Music on New Edition and after touring for months during their first concert tour, they went back to the projects where they lived and waited to get paid. The record company eventually gave them each a check for $1.57 and they had to basically start all over again. They signed such a horrible contract that the record company overcharged them for everything and took home all of the profit. They thought they would be rich from touring but they had no idea how to make a deal and increase revenue while touring. It was a very sad story.

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and nonstop airplay and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so that's a lot of jack for just about anybody.

You'd be pretty amazed at how much you make in just royalties alone from back catalog when you're in one of those very top echelon musical acts (which of course Metallica is).

Then throw in income from new record sales (which is cyclical) and touring (which is a goldmine for a lot of older acts).

Oh I have a pretty good idea tim - from direct experience. I also know how much they generally like to spend on other things... its not like they are in a position to use 100% of their income on frazettas ;) when they have tropical real estate to buy and wives to keep happy!

Forget touring - bands make very little on actually playing the concerts - most of the big money comes from merchandising - and let's face it, Metallica has sold more t-shirts, etc. than any other heavy metal band.

I remember watching the Behind the Music on New Edition and after touring for months during their first concert tour, they went back to the projects where they lived and waited to get paid. The record company eventually gave them each a check for $1.57 and they had to basically start all over again. They signed such a horrible contract that the record company overcharged them for everything and took home all of the profit. They thought they would be rich from touring but they had no idea how to make a deal and increase revenue while touring. It was a very sad story.

A tour is a big production. There are a lot of people to pay out of the show guarantees and/or % take and a lot of equipment to rent. Big acts make good money touring but when they are getting paid $500k per date, they are not taking anywhere near that home after expenses and taxes, and then it still has to get split however many ways between the band members. Some acts do very very well with it but it can sound better than it is when people throw around numbers like making 500k a show

A band that in the grand scheme of things is marginal like New Edition I'm sure wouldn't be getting anywhere near those kind of guarantees either.

There's a huge difference between top echelon acts who have a lot of leverage and new acts who get exploited unmercifully until they become successful enough to acquire some leverage.

Merchandising is great, but don't underestimate the money from gate receipts. There's a reason why the Eagles kept touring and touring once they finally got back together again, because they were minting insane amounts of money (and their royalties from their back catalog are massive).

Oh I have a pretty good idea tim - from direct experience.

Are there successful Canadian music acts? :baiting:

Don't mess with Anne Murray, man!

annemurray.jpg

haha touche but there sure are a lot that come through here needing help though

Oh I have a pretty good idea tim - from direct experience. I also know how much they generally like to spend on other things... its not like they are in a position to use 100% of their income on frazettas ;) when they have tropical real estate to buy and wives to keep happy!

This is true. Nature abhors a vacuum. Make more money, and you will inevitably find ways to spend more too.

Rush... and....

Rush and Neil Young :headbang: ... but that's it...

Bryan Adams and Celine Dion?

Rush... and....

Rush and Neil Young :headbang: ... but that's it...

Neil hasn't been from Canada in 50 years . . . :gossip: Try La Honda :makepoint:

Rush... and....

The Guess Who, Alanis Morisette, Bryan Adams, The Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, etc.

Anne Murray Dammit!!!

She was the real trailblazer

ok and Crash Test Dummies , Nickelback, Paul Shaffer, Shania Twain,

but mostly ANNE MURRAY!!!!