• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting sells for $1.5 million at San Diego Comicon

129 posts in this topic

No, but while we are on the subject Tim, remind me of the litany of famous acts from hong kong? :P

Go Cantopop go!

Yeah, but everyone knows that they suck!

Actually, I'm very excited that Faye Wong is going to be performing again. I will definitely go to see her if she plays HK.

This thread jumped the shark pretty quickly. lol.

I'm surprised no one brought up the timing of the announcement. While I'm sure the deal was already consumated well before SDCC, the PR machine gets maximum press if announced at the start of the convention.

I would be surprised if the painting was even at the show given insurance concerns and the buyer's preference to remain anonymous.

Cheers!

N.

This thread jumped the shark pretty quickly.

IMO the thread jumped the shark from inception. Yet another thread that focuses only on the money aspect. Action 1? Frazetta painting? Apparently they're interchangeable as all that matters is the value.

IMO the thread jumped the shark from inception. Yet another thread that focuses only on the money aspect. Action 1? Frazetta painting? Apparently they're interchangeable as all that matters is the value.

yep...

this is the most a piece of art by anyone (I can think of) who ever drew a comic book - has ever sold for. Surely that's noteworthy? (shrug) There have been plenty of frazetta threads that haven't focussed on teh money, like docdave's great essays and all the craziness with the family (although admittedly money or rather greed plays a part in that story).

I'm sure you noticed that there was FAR more interest in this thread than any other Frazetta thread that wasn't about a record-breaking price. Just look at the number of posts within the first day. I just feel that value dominates far too large a percentage of the discussions here and it feels as if many are only interested in OA as an investment or status symbol. If OA tanked tomorrow and POGS were back in fashion and fetching major bucks, I wonder how quickly the tide and popularity would shift.

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

I really like the original version. The later one is spectacular, obviously. It's like a whirlwind of fury. But I really like the original too. It's almost like Conan is at peace with all the fury around him. It's quite different and I really like it.

I'm sure you noticed that there was FAR more interest in this thread than any other Frazetta thread that wasn't about a record-breaking price. Just look at the number of posts within the first day. I just feel that value dominates far too large a percentage of the discussions here and it feels as if many are only interested in OA as an investment or status symbol. If OA tanked tomorrow and POGS were back in fashion and fetching major bucks, I wonder how quickly the tide and popularity would shift.

Money legitimizes collectibles. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

I dunno - 50% of this thread is about Canadian bands! I think you have an axe, perhaps fairly, to grind re value discussions but this thread in isolation is perfectly reasonable if you ask me! :foryou:

To who? To those that only care about the value and not the collectible itself. People who think comic books are silly or don't think about them at all suddenly take notice when something sells for $1m. This however is supposed to be a forum for collectors that are already fans of the medium/collectible. I understand that noteworthy prices will create some chatter but it's always (as far as I can tell) overwhelmingly the most popular threads. It's just a little... disheartening I guess is the best word I can come up with.

To who? To those that only care about the value and not the collectible itself. People who think comic books are silly or don't think about them at all suddenly take notice when something sells for $1m. This however is supposed to be a forum for collectors that are already fans of the medium/collectible. I understand that noteworthy prices will create some chatter but it's always (as far as I can tell) overwhelmingly the most popular threads. It's just a little... disheartening I guess is the best word I can come up with.

my feelings exactly

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

I really like the original version. The later one is spectacular, obviously. It's like a whirlwind of fury. But I really like the original too. It's almost like Conan is at peace with all the fury around him. It's quite different and I really like it.

There is something very disturbing in painting over a published cover with a brand new drastically different image. A complete turn-off.

There is something very disturbing in painting over a published cover with a brand new drastically different image. A complete turn-off.

Me personally - I would rather have the published version. I guess art historiams will have to x-ray it ?

Steve, let's not forget that numerous Van Goghs, Renoir, Rembrandts and even dare I say Da Vincis are over painted with entirely new paintings. In the case of the Mona Lisa, it is believe there are 2 abandoned, but completed works over painted...