• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting sells for $1.5 million at San Diego Comicon

129 posts in this topic

Though, like Steve, I think Frazetta probably should have left well enough alone and just done a separate version if he was dissatisfied with the original published images.

Frank wasn't creating pieces of Pop Culture to be revered for their significance at a specific time, he was creating art. We see it through the eyes of consumers and collectors so we care. It was his art and "fixing them" made him happy. We're lucky he didn't just paint over the piece completely with a totally different image or destroyed them like many other artists do with a piece that dissatisfies them. He didn't care about the money. If touching up the paintings alienated a few choosy collectors I'm sure he could give a flying fig.

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

I really like the original version. The later one is spectacular, obviously. It's like a whirlwind of fury. But I really like the original too. It's almost like Conan is at peace with all the fury around him. It's quite different and I really like it.

exactly. originally Conan was like a god of war, reveling in the gore. But Frazetta replaced that with a swashbuckling pose... Also a great image and certainly his prerogative, published or not. But the original is stronger in one, and the pile of bodies leads the eye right up to his head, like the top of a pyramid.

huh. hence your knowing him well. Interesting. wonder how many more frazettas he might buy (if this is indeed his purchase). $1.5m a pop adds up, even for rock stars. you can be in a very famous band with #1 singles and the whole nine yards and not make that much in a year depending on your deal and which rights you do and don't own. Obviously kirk's been big time for a long time and probably has good income rights but even so......

I don't think this one was him. I really I really don't. (thumbs u

There are many many fans of Frank's work with the means to pay this much for one of his premier oils. Just because it's Conan, and Kirk bought a Conan before, you should not assume he bought this one too.

Frank's Conan work is some of the most popular fantasy artwork of all time. To most people his Lancer Conan work marks the best of the best. Given that, given the offers Frank had for his Conan's from various people over the course of his life, and given how many people with means respect and love his oil paintings I don't know if it's a good idea to assume it's one guy doing the buying when there are many folks it could have been.

SO true......Stallone, Lucas, and the Governator are all Frazetta fans who are said to own Frazetta originals. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Lars wouldn't spend his money on such an item

That's because Lars, most definitively is a BEEYOTCH! :preach:

It is Kirk Hammett who has the taste, and the foresight.

I didn't know Kirk was an art afficionado too.

I just remembered from the "Some Kind of Monster" movie that Lars was a big collector.

Kirk owned the entire X-Men #1 interior OA. :gossip:

There's a great picture of him here on the boards somewhere sprawled all over his comics and OA.

There's a great picture of him here on the boards somewhere sprawled all over his comics and OA.

It's from a long time ago, but a great photo...

kirk-hammett.jpg

It's from a long time ago, but a great photo...

kirk-hammett.jpg

And my love for Metallica just went up a notch! Great pic! (worship)

I like both versions as-well. His revised ( and topic of this thread ) is stronger to me,

because of the flow created by having Conan in action.

With his body twisted, creating a continuing line from the action in the foreground, through

his Battle Axe: utilizing the sky to return back to the carnage below, this crates continuous action.

It's almost like a Golf swing: hesitating at the top, then Heaven help the warriors during his follow through.

Here is the original painting as it appeared on the Lancer novelization. That painting as it was originally done no longer exists. If I remember correctly, Frazetta painted over the Conan figure and turned the painting into the one shown in this thread that was sold. If he didn't like a painting he did or thought he could improve it, that is just what he would do after the fact! I agree that the revised painting is much more powerful.

11_conan_buccaneer_fritz.jpg

I really like the original version. The later one is spectacular, obviously. It's like a whirlwind of fury. But I really like the original too. It's almost like Conan is at peace with all the fury around him. It's quite different and I really like it.

exactly. originally Conan was like a god of war, reveling in the gore. But Frazetta replaced that with a swashbuckling pose... Also a great image and certainly his prerogative, published or not. But the original is stronger in one, and the pile of bodies leads the eye right up to his head, like the top of a pyramid.