• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Rose Collection

16 posts in this topic

A few years back Heritage sold a collection that was dubbed the "White Rose Collection". What was the story behind that collection and why do I never see any of these books for sale anywhere?

From the Heritage site...

The White Rose Collection represents the culmination of many years of loving "Treasure Hunting" - diligently searching dealer's tables, conventions, and catalogs with my brother in pursuit of our goal: a complete collection of Timely comics. Memories of that Golden Time, during which we came within a mere few books of our ultimate goal, are special to me - priceless, in fact!

It was a beautiful collection filled with great books... Not good books, but great books. That's why you never see any.

well, then, go ahead and see this one. only one i grabbed, but by then my global timely want-list was pretty short. as i recall, this was the 3rd-to-last.

myst2.jpg

It was a beautiful collection filled with great books... Not good books, but great books. That's why you never see any.

I think the reason you "never see any" is because it was a collection of comics and not an OO pedigree. Once sold originally under the "White Rose" label I doubt it will ever be noted again.

Perhaps what you mean though is that all these books have been bought up and locked away in collections mostly. Which is probably true too.

Perhaps what you mean though is that all these books have been bought up and locked away in collections mostly. Which is probably true too.

There were a lot of Chicago copies in the collection and many of them were not recognized by CGC. But they were coded and Heritage described them as "purchased from George Olshevsky as the Chicago copy..." A lot of those books have been resubmitted and are now recognized.

Some really nice Marvel Mysterys in the collection, beautiful run put together from top to bottom.

I think the reason you "never see any" is because it was a collection of comics and not an OO pedigree. Once sold originally under the "White Rose" label I doubt it will ever be noted again.

they came with a little coa for the white rose collection--mine is still taped to the back of the slab. i for one would note the collection if i was selling, and show a copy of the certificate.

well, then, go ahead and see this one. only one i grabbed, but by then my global timely want-list was pretty short. as i recall, this was the 3rd-to-last.

myst2.jpg

Wow, :luhv: what a book

A few years back Heritage sold a collection that was dubbed the "White Rose Collection". What was the story behind that collection and why do I never see any of these books for sale anywhere?

I think it was a pair of brothers who accumulated a great GA collection that was primarily Timely focused, with complete or close to complete runs of lots of titles. Looking through the Heritage special catalog for the collection is a real treat, even for someone who isn't into Timely.

However, "White Rose" was just a marketing label from Heritage. The collection was not a pedigree because it was not OO. Although there were apparently White Rose COAs with the books, the CGC labels didn't say anything about White Rose. It's possible some or many of the books have subsequently been sold, resubbed, reslabbed, etc., with no identification of the books as White Rose books.

There were a lot of Chicago copies in the collection and many of them were not recognized by CGC. But they were coded and Heritage described them as "purchased from George Olshevsky as the Chicago copy..." A lot of those books have been resubmitted and are now recognized.

Some really nice Marvel Mysterys in the collection, beautiful run put together from top to bottom.

The Marvel 1 was the Windy City. I sold them the book...

myst2.jpg

One sweet book! :golfclap:

myst2.jpg

One sweet book! :golfclap:

thanks for the props on this one, guys. my favorite of the run, and probably in my top-10 timely covers. so pulpy looking.

The Marvel 1 was the Windy City. I sold them the book...

For the auction the book I believe was slabbed as a blue label 8.5. I think Parrino and Hughes as agent won the book at 126k . It was the top price book at the auction for the White Rose collection. at this particular time Parrino was aquiring as many high grade Marvel 1s as he could get his hands on.He had quite a few as well as the famous pay copy.