• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom Lady #17 -- What's wrong with this picture?

40 posts in this topic

and this was the answer

Looks like somebody went for it. I figure between questioning his listing and giving him board publicity, I am probably at neutral karma.

I didn't figure a Karma loss by asking a question, lol...

I have a copy, otherwise I would have been looking at it more carefully. I don't see how that can be a Fine-

Maybe it too obvious for anyone to mention in this thread......but isn't that some kind of water damage on the cover ?? The reds look all streaked out

Yep, just pasted the photo in between text. It's been corrected in the listing now. IMO, just an honest error.

Listing appears unchanged. Text is still under photo. That isn't the main problem, of course. Why is a founding member of CGC grading a comic as FN- when there's a coupon cut out of the back cover?

Hmm, that's odd. When I clicked on the link you provided on the first page of this post, it showed the words COUPON OUT ON BACK COVER just above the image. Oh well, it sold anyway (and I agree on the grading).

It's unfortunately a by-product of the way Harley lists his books. On the plus side you get a nice large pic of the front cover, on the minus sometimes the text wraps funny.

It's happened to me before, but I never imagined anything malicious about it. I've seen it with just random text also.

Maybe it too obvious for anyone to mention in this thread......but isn't that some kind of water damage on the cover ?? The reds look all streaked out

That's caused by the cheap materials used by the Fox publisher. It's also due to the way they started their stories on the first inside cover page, often using a one-tone color (which was usually red/pink or light blue). It actually does look like a nice copy other than the coupon, and as long as the buyer is fully aware of the problem and realizes the grading is "appearance only" then I suppose all is well. Still, I think if you're selling a $2,000 comic, a little more attention to detail is in order.

Still, I think if you're selling a $2,000 comic, a little more attention to detail is in order.

+1, and you were right to begin with. I'm disappointed to find out that the book does indeed have a coupon cut. I like Harley, but obviously this book is not a Fine- as advertised in the title... and if you're going to call a book a "qualified" Fine-, you should be clear and upfront about what's "qualified" about it.

I had bought a book that Harley listed as a F+, only to discover 4 interior pages had 3" tears. I do not give him the benefit of the doubt because everything people like him do is intentional down to the placement of 'coupon cut.' I would never do business with him again.

If a book has a coupon cut, then by theory shouldn't it be graded as a fair or a fair+? I feel bad for the poor slob that bought that hyped up copy. He was probably too busy staring at Phantom Lady's headlights to think straight.

Y'know it always bothers me how some professionals make such glaring errors in their grading over & over agian. I could see it happening once or twice out of 100 times, but with certian dealers, it sounds like books are overgraded more often than not (funny how it rarely goes the other way).

Also, a lot of people are very forgiving of dealers who are "willing to take back a book" for a full (or offer a partial) refund.This happens on ebay all the time and you can usually pick it out of the seller's positive feedback comments with such phrases as "a real gentleman" or "easy to deal with".

I dont look at it that way -- from my point of view, someone has tried to flim-flam me...they got caught and now they are regarded as a "good guy" AFTER they got caught and waisted my time??? NOT!. And dont get me started on offering "store credit" -- that's the oldest scam in the book -- one should never take store credit as opposed to a cash refund. The seller will NEVER learn their lesson that way.

Someone needs to create a third party grading service that will standardize grades and...oh wait...nevermind.

The book has been relisted today, with a back cover scan and a more prominent mention of the clipped back cover coupon. :whistle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHANTOM-LADY-17-FOX-FEATURE-1948-F-2000-/350381249033?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194599209

On the plus side -- how cool are those pink pages! :whee:

P.S. Kudos to Harley for moving the line about the coupon to the top of the list, and adding the back-cover scan.

Did he have a choice?

I dunno, he could have relisted it the way it was, allowing the comic to get out and see the world in a whirlwind adventure of sales and returns.