• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom Lady #17 -- What's wrong with this picture?

40 posts in this topic

I almost bought this Phantom Lady #17 -- which is advertised as being in FN- (5.5) condition -- then abruptly decided not to. See if you can tell why by going to the sale page or by clicking the image below:

pl17-harley-sm.jpg

Seller is "Senior Advisor to the Overstreet Comicbook Price Guide" and "a Charter Member of Comics Guaranty, LLC. (CGC)."

Giving Harley the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if the 'coupon cut' notation is left over from a previous auction template. That would explain why it's just thrown in there at the end. Worth asking, no?

I've never understood how/why someone like Harley can't have his lackies spend 30 more seconds and upload a back cover scan on all the listings.

I know it's hard enough to buy a book from scans/pictures alone,but when you can only see 1/2 the exterior,it's always a turn-off for me as a buyer.

Not to mention that Harley's grading tends to be questionable at times.I've purchased 2 books from him previously,giving him the "benifit of doubt" after hearing such good things about him here on the boards.Both books were returned,which i know he is 100% solid for,and never questions a return.I've weeded out the seller that i have to "return" stuff to,it's just not worth my time.

They will be last 2 purchases from him without better listings in the future.

This is just another prime example of a "FAIL" for a listing from a "senior overstreet advisor". 2c

Giving Harley the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if the 'coupon cut' notation is left over from a previous auction template. That would explain why it's just thrown in there at the end. Worth asking, no?

It would be pretty cheap at $2k if it had the coupon and was a 5.5, though...

Yep, just pasted the photo in between text. It's been corrected in the listing now. IMO, just an honest error.

Listing appears unchanged. Text is still under photo. That isn't the main problem, of course. Why is a founding member of CGC grading a comic as FN- when there's a coupon cut out of the back cover?

I just wrote and asked him to post a back cover. I also asked how it could be Fine- if the coupon was missing.

Figured it could not hurt to ask. :shrug:

maybe, like g.a.tor, he feels that the convenience of being able to examine the p.q. without opening the book is worth a full grade bump.

and this was the answer

"Hi. It has a fine - apperance with the defect

Harley"

ahh, a qualified 5.5. i see, but despite my having the utmost respect for harl, it needs to be said, not implied.

NO ONE is allowed to call him that again...

:makepoint::makepoint:

I think he's looking for Cubs tickets, he'll be there, but not at the show much.

You should come! I'd miss you, too...

and you found me a great book last time:)