• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #75 Platinum (1993) question...
3 3

56 posts in this topic

Does your 10017 have an "A" after it? hm

I actually looked for that, and mine does not have an "A."

More mystery! I was hoping that books numbered higher than 10000 could be explained as "different" because of the "A".

Now we've got your book numbered above 10,000 (higher than the supposed print run),

and we've got my book numbered above 10,000 with an enigmatic "A".

The thot plickens. :popcorn:

It's not REALLY thick until we see something numbered less than 1000, right? At that point, someone's got some 'splaining to do.

Right... if there are books numbered under 1000, then there are more than 10,000 copies in print.

If the numbering is 1000 to 10999 (or 1001 to 11000), then there might only be 10,000 copies.

Did they ever sell signed copies of these on The Home Shopping Network (or its ilk) and the "A" is for autographed, as mentioned? I remember seeing a lot of Advs of Supes # 500 (not platinum) with like 5 autographs on HSN.

I remember Superman 500 regular edition and Batman 497 being sold on there signed, as they started advertising weeks in advance.

I never remember them offering the platinum editions, signed or unsigned.

Lets revive an old thread, or let me just post and have no one respond or look at it.

These books were printed in Quebec. I know a dealer from Quebec who has several copies above 10,000. How?

The people at the printing plant some how got copies out of the plant. Yes the print run is higher than 10,000. How many got out? Not sure.

18 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Lets revive an old thread, or let me just post and have no one respond or look at it.

These books were printed in Quebec. I know a dealer from Quebec who has several copies above 10,000. How?

The people at the printing plant some how got copies out of the plant. Yes the print run is higher than 10,000. How many got out? Not sure.

Has anyone located a copy with a serial number below 1,000 or above 11,000? My theory (7 years ago) was that there are 10,000 copies but they are numbered 1,001 to 11,000 (or something very similar).

I seemed to remember reading somewhere (I think it's in the mailing column of Funeral for a Friend ) where Dan Jurgens and the other writers held some sort off a contest of some kind. The winners (many winners) were given an autograph copy of Superman 75 special platinum signed by an writer or artist or inker or at least one from the group. 

Anybody remember this???

Interesting.  A lot of copies of Superman #75 Platinum do have signatures that pre-date CGC, so that makes sense that they could have been 1993 prizes.  

I haven't seen a lot with the signature and the "A" printed with the serial number.  It's that "A" that is intriguing... why would the book need a notation while it was being printed?