• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, wpbooks01 said:

As an 11year old who bought NL off the rack starting in 1972 and then had subscriptions from 1978-1984 or so...it was never hard to obtain a copy. Clerks could have cared less as long as you ponied up your 75 cents plus tax per issue and more for the specials....

I was in my teens from the mid to late 90's, so I am going by mostly comic shops, used book stores, and swap meets.   When I was that young I thought the magazines were about the movies ha ha!  and I had no interest in reading the movies.   

There are apparently 3 covers to this issue. Mine pictured above, is the subscription copy. There is another one for comic shops that I haven't seen and this one which my friend got at a Barnes & Noble Book store. A real obvious money grab and just a TERRIBLE cover. At $5.99, no longer "Cheap" by any stretch of the imagination. Will be my last new issue of MAD. End of an era for me. I have bought every issue from #72 till now. The past 5 or 6 years I subscribed. When my subscription lapes, I will be done. 

5ad5011d83f4e_mad12018.thumb.jpg.f9eb5edc2aa9e4932e9b4c6a5010a549.jpg

On 4/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Robot Man said:

There are apparently 3 covers to this issue. Mine pictured above, is the subscription copy. There is another one for comic shops that I haven't seen and this one which my friend got at a Barnes & Noble Book store. A real obvious money grab and just a TERRIBLE cover. At $5.99, no longer "Cheap" by any stretch of the imagination. Will be my last new issue of MAD. End of an era for me. I have bought every issue from #72 till now. The past 5 or 6 years I subscribed. When my subscription lapes, I will be done. 

5ad5011d83f4e_mad12018.thumb.jpg.f9eb5edc2aa9e4932e9b4c6a5010a549.jpg

you have had a subscription to MAD since 1961 ‼️‼️?I have to believe that is some kind of record‼️‼️?

they should put you @Robot Man in an upcoming issue as a cameo and give you a free lifetime subscription for the rest of your life‼️‼️‼️‼️??:martini:

32 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

all hail salute @Robot Man ‼️‼️‼️ Here in the MAD collectors thread as he has had a subscription since issue 72 ❤️‼️‼️?

I agree that has to be a record. If I was the Mad editor I would give him a free lifetime subscription to show appreciation of loyality over the years. (thumbsu

Waitaminit! You guys read that wrong. I have only actually subscribed for 5 or 6 years. But... I have actually bought every issue since #72 directly off the newstand. Either way, it's been a long fun ride. Next longest continous run for me would be Amazing Spiderman. I bought every issue since #3 off the newstand but quit when they were trying to tell me Peter Parker was a clone. 

I am interested in what the reboogered oops rebooted MAD will be like.

I read MAD often as a Kid, probably even subscribing for a year of so back in the 60's

Always loved SPy vs Spy,  the lighter side of ,  and the fold-ins

I got back into them with the advent of ebay in the early 2000's   I would find great buys on those  and/or archies and would put together a big stack  for each of my daughters as one of the gifts for the 8 crazy nights of Hanukkah.  My older appreciated  the books much more than the younger  and often read them at bedtime.  As I was recombining the sections of the collection I think that I have about 300 issues dating back to the first magazine size issue ( 24?)  with only a small group of dupes.

I have the 7 CD boxed set of the issues through 1998,  but the only time I went to use it the operating system was SO SLOW that it was painful.  Perhaps it was only a computer issue  and now that I have upgraded at least 2 generations maybe the operation will be faster

On 4/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, jmg3637 said:

I am interested in what the reboogered oops rebooted MAD will be like.

I read MAD often as a Kid, probably even subscribing for a year of so back in the 60's

Always loved SPy vs Spy,  the lighter side of ,  and the fold-ins

I got back into them with the advent of ebay in the early 2000's   I would find great buys on those  and/or archies and would put together a big stack  for each of my daughters as one of the gifts for the 8 crazy nights of Hanukkah.  My older appreciated  the books much more than the younger  and often read them at bedtime.  As I was recombining the sections of the collection I think that I have about 300 issues dating back to the first magazine size issue ( 24?)  with only a small group of dupes.

I have the 7 CD boxed set of the issues through 1998,  but the only time I went to use it the operating system was SO SLOW that it was painful.  Perhaps it was only a computer issue  and now that I have upgraded at least 2 generations maybe the operation will be faster

Excellent

Ebay is still one of the best places to buy Mad, especially in bulk.   I always felt that I was getting more for my money when I bought a Mad magazine used for $1.   I find myself rereading a lot more than a comic book.

I could reread them again and get even more out of it because I never read the movie spoofs.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:12 PM, Robot Man said:

Waitaminit! You guys read that wrong. I have only actually subscribed for 5 or 6 years. But... I have actually bought every issue since #72 directly off the newstand. Either way, it's been a long fun ride. Next longest continous run for me would be Amazing Spiderman. I bought every issue since #3 off the newstand but quit when they were trying to tell me Peter Parker was a clone. 

Yes sorry I misread your post 

but still an amazing run of getting every issue since 1961??‼️?