• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Phantalien said:

Very nice looking copy.  Does this complete your collection somehow?

It does not.  But as the first magazine size issue, it's still a big step towards putting together the Kurtzman edited run, which is what I'm trying for.  

Not that I don't enjoy later issues when I run across them, I'm just not aggressively trying to collect those.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, OtherEric said:

It does not.  But as the first magazine size issue, it's still a big step towards putting together the Kurtzman edited run, which is what I'm trying for.  

Not that I don't enjoy later issues when I run across them, I'm just not aggressively trying to collect those.

It's good to have a niche inside an already extensive run of a series.   What are you missing?   Are you trying to have them in a special condition?

2 hours ago, Phantalien said:

It's good to have a niche inside an already extensive run of a series.   What are you missing?   Are you trying to have them in a special condition?

I’m really just trying to put together a run to read.  I know I’m somewhat the exception here, but I would rather have 10 lower grade books I can read rather than one high grade I can’t.  Not that I don’t like it when I do stumble across affordable high grade books!

I’m a little over half way to completing the run I’m looking for, luckily I have issues 1 and 2 already as well as the 24.  I think 5 is the trickiest one I still need.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:29 PM, OtherEric said:

I’m really just trying to put together a run to read.  I know I’m somewhat the exception here, but I would rather have 10 lower grade books I can read rather than one high grade I can’t.  Not that I don’t like it when I do stumble across affordable high grade books!

I’m a little over half way to completing the run I’m looking for, luckily I have issues 1 and 2 already as well as the 24.  I think 5 is the trickiest one I still need.

Good luck finishing it out!

On 7/15/2018 at 11:29 PM, OtherEric said:

I am with you, I want books to read and hold and mentally put together the fold-ins.

Thankfully 1-23 has been wonderfully reprinted in book form.

13 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I am with you, I want books to read and hold and mentally put together the fold-ins.

Thankfully 1-23 has been wonderfully reprinted in book form.

They have, with the Mad paperbacks and other reprints some of the stories may even have been more or less continually in print since the fifties.

EC’s still read best in original editions, though.:luhv:

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

They have, with the Mad paperbacks and other reprints some of the stories may even have been more or less continually in print since the fifties.

EC’s still read best in original editions, though.:luhv:

I have bunch paperbacks of Mad reprints still??‼️

I was curious if anyone has seen a recalled copy of #521 on sale at any point?  Was curious what one might be worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Fold-in

"In 2013, a completed Jaffee Fold-In about mass shootings was pulled from issue #521 when the editors realized the issue's on-sale date would coincide with the beginning of Aurora theater shooter James Holmes' court trial, which had been delayed. This turned out to be untrue, as the trial had not yet started, and in fact was scheduled to begin in October 2014, some 18 months after the editorial decision to nix the Fold-In was made. The run of Mad covers, which had already been printed, was destroyed, and a repeat Fold-In was used as a replacement. #521 thus became just the second issue of Mad since 1964 not to include new work by Jaffee. One copy was inadvertently sent out to a subscriber as a replacement copy, who scanned and uploaded the Fold-In."

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 10.37.16 PM.png

Just in today.  As is my wont, low grade, but good reading.  Kurtzman had left the magazine at this point, but it still has a fair amount of inventory work from him.

And, of course, the cover is one of the very few images from comics that really is iconic, not just within the hobby but to the world at large.

Mad_30.jpg

Mad_30_bc.jpg

And, fresh in today, Mad #25.  This gives me a complete run of Mad 20-31, covering the last 4 comic book issues, all 5 Kurtzman edited magazine size issues, and the first 3 Feldstein edited issues, which also happens to use up the last of the inventory from Kurtzman.

I still need about half the comic issues, but I think this gives me a very interesting and important run of books.  Also some very, very funny reading!

Mad_25.jpg

On 7/23/2018 at 10:38 PM, JBoison said:

I was curious if anyone has seen a recalled copy of #521 on sale at any point?  Was curious what one might be worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Fold-in

"In 2013, a completed Jaffee Fold-In about mass shootings was pulled from issue #521 when the editors realized the issue's on-sale date would coincide with the beginning of Aurora theater shooter James Holmes' court trial, which had been delayed. This turned out to be untrue, as the trial had not yet started, and in fact was scheduled to begin in October 2014, some 18 months after the editorial decision to nix the Fold-In was made. The run of Mad covers, which had already been printed, was destroyed, and a repeat Fold-In was used as a replacement. #521 thus became just the second issue of Mad since 1964 not to include new work by Jaffee. One copy was inadvertently sent out to a subscriber as a replacement copy, who scanned and uploaded the Fold-In."

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 10.37.16 PM.png

Very interesting I had not heard about the controversy about Mad number 521 but I can see why by the gun cover??