• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's one of the comic issues.Β  But you can see where Kurtzman is working towards the magazine format it would change to a few months later.

ThanksπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ†’

On 2/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, wampus13 said:

I email Mad in with my picture and they never email me back. The way I found out I was in Mad Magazine, is my coworker sawΒ me in the hallway and said your in Mad Magazine! I immediately went to the store and bought all the issues of Mad they had and made sure to show everyone in line and the cashier I was in Mad Magazine. I emailed them asking for my promised Alfred E. Neuman ornament and asked for a tour of Mad HQs and I of course offered Mad Staff a tour of my museum and no response.Β PS. On the picture in Mad they photo-shopped the 2nd framed Mad, so it is the same height as all 3 of the Mads.Β The middle frame is comic sized and the ones on the other are magazine sized. See attached unedited picture

download (2).jpg

How strange that they photoshopped it? I wonder what the thinking was, or why they had time to make such a minor adjustment.Β Β  EDIT:Β  Oh, now I see. They were using the image as part of a graphic, not as a photo. There were compositional and legibility considerations... etc. Cool either way!

Edited by Doohickamabob

Almost a dozen issues of Mad in today.Β  The two comic book issues are over in the EC thread in Gold.Β  Not going to post all the magazine covers, but here's a couple.Β  They're all mid to late 80's, other than those two comics; and they all have some of Harvey Kurtzman's late work on the title.Β  The 256 features his first work on the book since the 50s, and the cover on the 259 is obviously by Kurtzman and Will Elder.

The 80's work by Kurtzman on Mad always seems a little odd to me; but still fun.Β  I get the vague impression that Kurtzman and Gaines were very much interested in showing they had ended their feud, but after working together again a bit they both figured out they didn't necessarily actually share much interest in working together anymore.Β  Still, it makes me very happy that there is that small body of work by Kurtzman for Mad in the 80's.Β 

Mad_256.jpg

Mad_259.jpg

On 4/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Was going through some recent flea market beaters and came across this from 1959. Who would have thought Superman’s secret identity was this guy?

Sure messed up Lois! Β Β :roflmao:

:golfclap:Β That Superman story was a fan favorite at the time (testimony to the popularity of Mad in this period). It was reprinted in Superman Annual #3 with an AENΒ cover appearance

Β 

giantSuperman3.jpg