• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This thread has been a little slow. Here is a weird 1958 MAD ripoff item. Man, there are a million pieces. It is based on the Advertising business and is a lot of fun when you figure out how to play it...

MadMadMadGame.1jpg.jpg

MadMadMadGame.2.jpg

MadMadMadGame.3.jpg

that does look like fun! i went and bought board games and meh

brain games was fun, until some memorized the answers..... family feud even the platinum edition was a bust

so far we've stuck to classics such as Scattegories and domino games chicken foot etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

31 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Sad day Mad going to all reprints after issue 10. Still hoping it's not true but probably is.

mad1 001.jpg

It’s dead anyway. They are only continuing it this long to fulfill subscription responsibility’s according to what I’ve read...

MAD Magazine Is Ceasing Publication of Original Content, May Shut Down Entirely

03-mad-magazine.w330.h412.jpg

Photo: Courtesy of Mad Magazine

Venerable joke rag MAD Magazine will be ceasing publication of original content. Blogger Jedidiah Leland reported that a longtime editor broke the news in a private Facebook group, and MAD writer David DeGrand confirmed the story on his personal Twitter. Rather than create new comedy, MAD will recycle old content until their subscription obligation is fulfilled, then potentially shut down altogether. An email from DC Comics sent to freelancers and obtained by Vulture says that Issue 10 will be the last of MAD with original content. While not stating whether the publication would cease entirely, the email confirms that MAD will no longer commission new content for either the print or online versions of MAD, for however long they continue to exist. In the wake of the news, many contributors have been posting farewell tweets to the mag.

So far, DC Comics has made no official statement, but there have been signs of trouble for the eagle-eyed. Editor Allie Goertz was laid off recently and another editor, Dan Telfer, announced his departure on Twitter earlier this week. A source tells Vulture these layoffs are only the tip of the iceberg: The vast majority of the magazine’s staff was quietly let go last week. “They’re basically euthanizing the magazine,” the source says. “They’ll do one more issue with original content and then produce some magazines – I don’t know how many – with repurposed older material. They’re keeping on two designers, an editorial assistant, and a temp.” The source went on: “Very few people even know this in-house even though it happened a full week ago but the feeling among those who do is that MAD is dead.”

However, it appears that not everyone is clear about what’s going on. One freelancer, presented with the news of the end of original content, told Vulture they’d already produced months’ worth of upcoming new content for MAD and had heard that the magazine’s sales and subscriptions were, if anything, on the rise. MAD may be in the middle of DC Comics’ massive restructuring initiative, which has also seen the shuttering of the Vertigo imprint and the departure of several major editors.

Vulture’s initial source said DC had “no plan to issue a press release or even a tweet” about the move to cease original content at MAD. We have reached out to DC and will report back if they have a comment.

Sorry but not necessarily surprised to hear this.  I picked up a few issues of the renumbering, but haven't the last couple.  And I suspect this won't actually be the end of the brand; we'll just need to wait to see where it pops up next.  I'm not sure that, in the modern media era, the Mad sensibility might not thrive somewhere else better than in a classic print magazine.  I just hope they figure out the next step quickly.

Very sad news indeed. I know it was expected but it suks never the less. MAD has been a part of my life since I bought #72 off the news stand at 8 years old. I have bought every one since either off the stand or through subscription. 

Most every one read at least a MAD or two in their lives. Even people who don’t know his name recognize Alfred E Neuman’s face with a smile. 

Just annother warm, friendly thing gone from our lives. Thanks to the “usual gang of I-d-I-o-t-s” for all the memories and RIP Alfred...:sorry:

To me it’s zenith was from the beginning in the 1950s comic book until the 1970s. After that it seemed to be less relevant in the market with the passing of each decade.

In it’s glory years though it was something else. 

The early Mad comics by Kurtzman are some of the best humor art done in comics.

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

Are anyone getting the last few issues ? I never see them in the grocery store anymore an I hardly ever go to the bookstore anymoew😳😳😳🥴

I've picked up all the issues since the renumbering; but to be honest I had decided to stop until the shutdown announcement was made.  Some very good stuff, but it was still not enough I like per issue to make me get it consistently.  I haven't had it on a subscription or pull list; just grabbing at the Fred Meyer.

Got #9 in the mail today. Very interesting issue. Called a “time warp” issue. Very 1960’s looking even down to the Dave Berg “Lighter Side” feature. New artist copying his style. All new material but in a vintage feel. Can’t figure what they are trying to do. I heard that #10 will be the last issue of all new material then reprints for a few issues to fulfill subscriptions. No subscription cards or offers in this issue...

BF723837-FBEB-4BE0-AC3E-D6EE28686844.jpeg

99795982-6E09-44C6-95B2-67431BA22C20.jpeg

505DBF05-5D5C-4CFC-A983-EB63433E5DEC.jpeg

3B6FEC9C-D74D-4BCC-B62B-7CD6786FF4E2.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man