• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Robot Man said:

Got #9 in the mail today. Very interesting issue. Called a “time warp” issue. Very 1960’s looking even down to the Dave Berg “Lighter Side” feature. New artist copying his style. All new material but in a vintage feel. Can’t figure what they are trying to do. I heard that #10 will be the last issue of all new material then reprints for a few issues to fulfill subscriptions. No subscription cards or offers in this issue...

BF723837-FBEB-4BE0-AC3E-D6EE28686844.jpeg

99795982-6E09-44C6-95B2-67431BA22C20.jpeg

505DBF05-5D5C-4CFC-A983-EB63433E5DEC.jpeg

3B6FEC9C-D74D-4BCC-B62B-7CD6786FF4E2.jpeg

This Mad looks so cool🆒🆒 so old school 👍🤔 but the only thing is that you can buy a 40 year old Mad , even older for less than the cover price of a new Mad🤔🤔

On 9/17/2019 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Ran into a weird item. Anybody see one of these? Hardbound MAD paperback book. Are there others?

FF4AC83F-775F-4C6A-BF3C-B57C92A0EDF0.jpeg

I would guess a library edition.  Usually you can check inside the book and see the different ISBN #s based on the different printings.

2 hours ago, Phantalien said:

I would guess a library edition.  Usually you can check inside the book and see the different ISBN #s based on the different printings.

Different ISBN's for different editions and possibly covers. You can see by the thin outline that the original pb cover on that copy was removed, mounted on a plastic type of flat substance and then reattached to the text block. It's not a different edition just a custom job, done by a library to prevent wear and tear on the book.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, FoggyNelson said:

This Mad looks so cool🆒🆒 so old school 👍🤔 but the only thing is that you can buy a 40 year old Mad , even older for less than the cover price of a new Mad🤔🤔

Local bookstore had a huge stack of this issue in the magazine section. Was tempted, but it does not seem to sell over cover and the cover did not grab me. I got the Hillary cli ton mad max cover a few years ago because it was hilarious

On 10/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Different ISBN's for different editions and possibly covers. You can see by the thin outline that the original pb cover on that copy was removed, mounted on a plastic type of flat substance and then reattached to the text block. It's not a different edition just a custom job, done by a library to prevent wear and tear on the book.

I've seen this done with some old Lovecraft paperbacks from the 70's that I ran across. It's pretty distinctive once you know what to look for and not terribly uncommon...though I've never seen a Mad before. I kept my Lovecrafts because I thought they were cool.