• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Just noticed somebody liquidating a full run of Mads (all the comics and mags from #1 to past #500) with what appears to be most of the Specials (Worst/Trash/Follies), many paperbacks, and nearly a full run of Dutch issues (weird -- I wish those were listed separately).

It's always interesting to see what full runs of Mads sell for. I doubt this will sell at or near its BIN price but who knows. I'm tempted to buy it just to cherry-pick rarities and then resell. Unfortunately the early comics all look pretty rough -- in higher grade they'd pay for much of the cost of the lot. #1-#3 look kinda chippy. Anyway it's fun to see a full run in one place.

128229.jpg.c2999f1bf4754b146efc3966a6f799dc.jpg

Hey there all! I'm new to the boards and I'm looking to sell my collection of Mad magazines & paperbacks, I'd like to sell in one big lot if possible. If anyone's interested, I can put a list together of what I have. Thanks!

Just an FYI, but there is a " marketplace" section on the boards for selling your stuff directly. Regarding your list, by all means send it to me in a Private Message, or post it in the Marketplace area with prices, but be sure to become familiar first with how the marketplace works.

Unfortunately the early comics all look pretty rough -- in higher grade they'd pay for much of the cost of the lot. #1-#3 look kinda chippy. Anyway it's fun to see a full run in one place.

I've found that the magazine issues prior to the introduction of the Fold-In back cover which began with #86 in 1964 are easier to find in high grade than the ones for the first few years with the Fold-In covers.

The Specials complete with intact Stickers and such are also tough to find.

I also suspect that the early paperbacks may be even more scarce than the magazines but it may just be the case that books are not as likely to be carried by comic dealers.

(shrug)

The Super Specials and the like are particularly prized by collectors if the stickers and such within the magazine are still intact.

Here are scans of three of my earliest Mad magazines, including the back covers for two of them!

09-09-201264809PM.jpg

09-09-201264813PM.jpg

09-09-201264817PM.jpg

09-09-201264820PM.jpg

09-09-201264823PM.jpg

:cool:

Hey, so this is where the MAD collectors hang out. I have been looking for a forum other than facebook for ages. I live in a remote part of Australia and have never come across another MAD collector. I have what I regard as a complete Australian run from #1 through to our current #475 in the regular issues, and #1 to #140 in super specials. I have the cards, board game, Lime Rock Cards, a few paper backs, and the landscape issues. I would like to collect the follies etc. but I have to source my MAD copies from the US and the postage is a killer. I have just over 700 in total. In the regular issues I have from #1 to #218 in US issues, then switch to Aussie at #219 when we started publishing our own. Same with Super specials which switched at #35. All of my super specials have the bonuses which is pretty cool. I have a few double ups in the #1 to #23 comics, like #2, #3, #11, #12, #20. Not sure what to do with them. I have about 250 double ups in all of the other stuff. They have cost a hell of a lot more for me to import from the US than I will ever get for them if I sold them in Australia, so getting rid of them will be a heart breaker. I really envy the collectors in here from the US who I imagine would be able to source stuff at comic swaps and the like, and not have to pay $15 a copy in postage.

Edited by Hijynx76

Hey, so this is where the MAD collectors hang out. I have been looking for a forum other than facebook for ages. I live in a remote part of Australia and have never come across another MAD collector. I have what I regard as a complete Australian run from #1 through to our current #475 in the regular issues, and #1 to #140 in super specials. I have the cards, board game, Lime Rock Cards, a few paper backs, and the landscape issues. I would like to collect the follies etc. but I have to source my MAD copies from the US and the postage is a killer. I have just over 700 in total. In the regular issues I have from #1 to #218 in US issues, then switch to Aussie at #219 when we started publishing our own. Same with Super specials which switched at #35. All of my super specials have the bonuses which is pretty cool. I have a few double ups in the #1 to #23 comics, like #2, #3, #11, #12, #20. Not sure what to do with them. I have about 250 double ups in all of the other stuff. They have cost a hell of a lot more for me to import from the US than I will ever get for them if I sold them in Australia, so getting rid of them will be a heart breaker. I really envy the collectors in here from the US who I imagine would be able to source stuff at comic swaps and the like, and not have to pay $15 a copy in postage.

Great to hear from you. Your collection sounds like it would be a lot of fun to look at. Please post pics/scans if you have any. I hear you on the postal rates! That's a real hurdle but you have access to a lot of unusual material too.

Forgot to post this in the Mad thread. Found this one in a short box of MADS I was going through. Couldn't have asked for a better one to get the double cover.

Verrry cool! I have a double cover from that time period too. Mine is the one where Alfred is growing a potted tree, or something. I'd much rather have your double cover.

I believe this to be the most desirable of the late 1960s to 1970s Mads. Complete with 6 foot poster.

scan0070.jpg

In my experience, that is the absolute toughest book to find intact, among all the Mad specials.

Other tough ones include the specials with the floppy records (the early ones, like the Worst issue with the Beatles cover), the zeppelin issue, and the mobile (sculpture) issue.

But the full-length Alfred issue is by far the toughest. Imagine how many kids' closet doors and dormitory walls had that poster on them.

This is about the only one from the late 1960s to 1980s, all these are pretty common but some great and classic covers.

Hey, so this is where the MAD collectors hang out.... I have what I regard as a complete Australian run from #1 through to our current #475 in the regular issues, and #1 to #140 in super specials. I have the cards, board game, Lime Rock Cards, a few paper backs, and the landscape issues.

Good man! And good stuff too!

(thumbs u

But where have you been? Hopefully not Facebook.

???

I discovered MAD in the 80's when I found some of the old paperbacks in a second hand bookshop. I've often thought about collecting the mags, but haven't gotten round to it yet.

Collecting Mads is pretty economical compared to comics. New (old) collections of Mads keep surfacing all the time, so they are not difficult to get for low ("cheap") prices if you're in it for the long-term hunt. Plus you get to read them again, and it's a testament to their excellent quality control that much of the stuff holds up really well. The real trick is putting together a run of Mads all in grade.

I agree! The paperbacks may be even tougher to put together in grade though than the magazines.

(shrug)