• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Cool, thanks... Those flags in Mad Special #5 are very memorable (I wonder if any publication could get away with those today).

Just got a cellphone image from a relative who is bar-hopping (doing the "golden mile"?) in London. He found this framed Alfred E. Neuman displayed prominently in a pub:

150179.jpg.113837f2a462283e439f3a00ab55410f.jpg

Nice photo. Always like to see our AEN turn up in disparate places!

As for the flag, I have to say it was one of the few times Mad actually kind of shocked me as a kid, along with the famed middle finger cover. I understood the message of the flag, but I wasn't used to the way they worded said message, at least in comparison with their usual means of satiric verbiage. I'm pretty sure any publication aimed at kids today wouldn't even try to get away with something like that flag. We live in times where anything gets misconstrued much too easily, and then it spreads like a virus....I'm starting to like the era where that poster came out much more than today...at least nobody was paying attention enough to put the kibosh on it!!!

Madflag_zpsb360dfa6.jpg

Edited by wpbooks

Nice photo. Always like to see our AEN turn up in disparate places!

As for the flag, I have to say it was one of the few times Mad actually kind of shocked me as a kid, along with the famed middle finger cover. I understood the message of the flag, but I wasn't used to the way they worded said message, at least in comparison with their usual means of satiric verbiage. I'm pretty sure any publication aimed at kids today wouldn't even try to get away with something like that flag. We live in times where anything gets misconstrued much too easily, and then it spreads like a virus....I'm starting to like the era where that poster came out much more than today...at least nobody was paying attention enough to put the kibosh on it!!!

Madflag_zpsb360dfa6.jpg

Yeah, I never heard of any backlash from that, though if there was they probably didn't publicize it.

The "Gall in the Family Fare" record that comes with one of the specials is an audio version of the "All in the Family" parody, and I recall there are a lot of racial epithets thrown around in that as well. Somehow "belly button" is added to the mix, when Archie runs out of other words.

The only thing I recall about the Gall in The Family Fare audio treat was how bad I thought the impressions were compared to the real actors, and "better yet....Vice President!". I should probably consult my Totally Mad cd-rom set to listen to it again after 40+ years. I always used to confuse the Mad parody of AITF with the one that appeared in Marvel's Spoof #2.

The only thing I recall about the Gall in The Family Fare audio treat was how bad I thought the impressions were compared to the real actors, and "better yet....Vice President!". I should probably consult my Totally Mad cd-rom set to listen to it again after 40+ years. I always used to confuse the Mad parody of AITF with the one that appeared in Marvel's Spoof #2.

Maybe I am biased in favor of anything Mad, but I really liked the impressions, even though they are severely caricatured.

"'Dolf baby, where the hell have you been all these years?!"

Whoa, listening to this now, it's every bit as epithet-laden as that flag... Or moreso...

This YouTube video is great -- it synchs the printed satire panels with the audio.

Here's a question for any Mad experts in here:

Is there a "1st printing" versus a "2nd printing" (or beyond) of Mad Magazine #24 -- the first magazine issue of Mad?

I have heard references to a "first printing" in the past, or maybe on an eBay listing or something. I haven't ever really taken the time to figure out if there are different printings, and if there are, if there's a tangible way to spot the difference. (By "first printing" that could mean "first print run" or slight variants -- even if the variation is only in the index or whatever.)

If anybody has any insight into this matter, let me know here in this forum. Thanks!

I recall Gaines being quoted in either an interview or in the book The Mad World Of William M. Gaines as saying Mad 24 sold out on the stands almost immediately, and he took it back to press for a quick reprint, to strike while the iron was hot, and also because Kurtzman was going to be late with #25. I've never heard of a way to tell the 2 printings apart, though.

I recall Gaines being quoted in either an interview or in the book The Mad World Of William M. Gaines as saying Mad 24 sold out on the stands almost immediately, and he took it back to press for a quick reprint, to strike while the iron was hot, and also because Kurtzman was going to be late with #25. I've never heard of a way to tell the 2 printings apart, though.

Thanks, I believe that's in line with what I've heard -- that there was a 2nd print run. It really does sound like there is no difference between the runs that can be discerned by looking at the magazines themselves, though.

I need to get "The Mad World of William M. Gaines" book!

I'd really like to see a pic or two of the above hardcover runs. Are they stitched in somehow? (Lots of tiny pinholes woven to the book binding?) Just curious how that works. I like your idea of putting them in chronological order. That is a good way to keep similar design styles and bonus themes together.

Finally figured out how to kind of use my webcam for this since it's the only digital camera I have. Sorry for the lack of finesse!

Snapshot_20141221_zps41ae7108.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_1_zps8c56a976.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_6_zps491fae3c.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_3_zps1ec6250d.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_5_zps1baf9f42.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_2_zps28a0821f.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_4_zpsaf691f5d.jpg

Snapshot_20141221_7_zpsc6817d47.jpg

HI All,

Long time mad reader and collector,

finally picked up a Mad 24, first magazine issue pretty happy with it and also

showing a early mad reprint from true west magazine from 1956 with a nice Jack Davis cover, you can usually find them on ebay for cheap if you want to pick one up.

151956.jpg.7065a1b7cc906359f210f143f41acc0d.jpg

151957.jpg.d64d31406ad1098c0299353098714202.jpg

Looks like a higher-grade copy of Mad #24 (magazine #1) -- well done! The white area looks very clean indeed, and the spine appears solid. What do you think: FN/VF or maybe higher?

As for the Jack Davis cover, I've either never seen it or saw it a long time ago and forgot about it, so either way thanks for posting. I really enjoy when his art is colored in a minimal way, since his texture/shading technique stands on its own. Another example that comes to mind is his cover for Two-Fisted Tales #30.