• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

I loved Mad so much a kid,.. I used to get a nickel a day allowance or 35 cents a week, A Mad cost 40 cents back then so I would have to save part of my allowance from the week before but I never missed an issue from 1971 - 74

Loved the movie parodies the most !!

i wonder if my son would even think its funny. i should give him a few and see.

i had never bought a mad off the rack until the hillary/fury road cover (I own plenty of mads, just never bought one new) i just had to have that.

i wonder if my son would even think its funny. i should give him a few and see.

I recently signed up for a subscription. It is much, much less expensive than buying one off the newsstand (one of the few perks of Mad finally accepting advertising), and they give you bonus materials like this cool limited-edition Kelly Freas print that arrived a few weeks after subscribing:

160732.jpg.704d363c528f0797a24a509a3c4b417a.jpg

My regular issue run goes from #44 to present and I'm only missing 3 books in the middle. The run is otherwise complete in that I have every alternate or variant copy of every issue.

My Super Specials are complete from 1 through 57 and I'm only missing a handful through present.

I also have a lot of foreign issues including the first British issue and first Quebec issue. I also have a very large run of the Australian issues.

Additionally I have almost full runs of all the offshot titles, including More Trash, Follies, Wost From, Collector Classics, Gross Outs, XL, etc, etc, etc. Also a lot of the big books.

I'd like to end up with full runs of everything, and I have a pretty good jump on it. (thumbs u

Wow! :golfclap:

'Get your subscription to Mad. Suitable for framing or wrapping fish.'

One of my favorite Mad covers, by Kelly Freas with amazing detail:

Mad43.jpg

Nice! Here are scans of my Halloween cover Mads:

20-10-201181120PM.jpg

20-10-201181132PM.jpg

:cool:

Love these covers!!!

Just got this guy back from CGC.

MAD #364 Signed by Larry Thomas aka the Soup Nazi

Larry said that he has never signed a copy of this mag before. He told me when he was signing it that the when he saw the cartoon version (Parody) of himself.. was one of his proudest moments of his professional career. He said that to be depicted in a magazine as iconic as Mad, was something he never dreamed was possible when he started acting. Funny, I thought that his role on Seinfeld and his popular saying "No soup for you" has become part of Americana. But he did not seem to agree. he was very humble, and a pleasure to talk to

DSCN1949.jpg

:banana: So cool!!

For some reason I thought it would be a fun idea to hold on to all the Obama covers Mad released. This is not for political reasons (I am nonpartisan) but just because I thought it would be interesting. Unfortunately I have already missed one and don't feel particularly compelled to track it down (though it would probably be easy to do so). But here are the 4 in my collection. No political comments please!

Haha no politics on the board!! Really sweet collection!! Curious if you have the Spider-Man ones too?

Pics of the "Specials" and "Super Specials" --

I almost have a full run of these. When it gets into the early '80s, they stopped numbering the specials and I don't think they put much effort into including bonuses either (though some of the record inserts get very inspired, with "Super Spectacular Day" being a favorite). That's roughly where my interest wanes on collecting them.

Wowie wow-wow :cloud9:

For some reason I thought it would be a fun idea to hold on to all the Obama covers Mad released. This is not for political reasons (I am nonpartisan) but just because I thought it would be interesting. Unfortunately I have already missed one and don't feel particularly compelled to track it down (though it would probably be easy to do so). But here are the 4 in my collection. No political comments please!

Haha no politics on the board!! Really sweet collection!! Curious if you have the Spider-Man ones too?

Looks like you've been reading the archives of this thread... You're referencing posts I forgot I had written.

Regarding the Spider-Man cover Mads, I don't think I have any of those. I don't own most of the Mad mags from the 2000's (or the 1990s for that matter) onward. Looking at Doug Gilford's Mad cover site, I see there are Spider-Man covers for the following issues:

-- #418: June 2002

-- #444: August 2004

-- #478: June 2007

-- #516: August 2012

Those correspond to the Sam Raimi movies, and then to the first reboot movie.

Just noticed this on the Mad website

Happy Birthday, Bill Gaines!

By The Editors Tuesday, March 1st, 2016

CLASSIC MAD DEPT.

William Gaines, MAD Magazine’s founder and fearlessly foolish leader, would have turned 94 years old today. Since he died in 1992, his attendance in the office has been spotty.

160954.jpg.1ea1f3a37d35ba25910bb6e4fb380d38.jpg

Anyone have CGC'd 80s book pics? The 80sier the better!

:bump:

You're looking for graded 1980s Mad magazines? I can't imagine there will be many people who have graded them, but I look forward to seeing them anyway.

I can't barely find any on eBay either...

I was strolling through the CGC registry for mid-80s issues and there are relatively few graded. Most that are graded fall between the 9.4-9.8 range, but on eBay all I see are well-read copies.

Anyone know who owns all these books? I don't even see a registry set for anything 250+ so I can't think of another way of tracking them down...

Despite being a die-hard Mad freak, I didn't even know about the existence of these books for a long time.

150018.jpg

And I didn't know of the existence of these books before I read your post!

(thumbs u