• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Here's a question for Mad Magazine Collectors.  I own a Mad 139 CGC 7.5 Gaines Copy that I bought on a whim for the princely sum of $24 in a Heritage auction in 2004.  Well the book is perfect but for the back fold-in was folded.  The fold's are all non color breaking and, I think, could easily be pressed out leaving a 9.6/9.8.  Does anyone think that pressing is a good idea or does the fact that Gaines himself may very well have done the fold in hold any collecting value?  Not an expensive book but a really iconic cover IMHO.  Fold in was pictured from a raw copy.

image_zpsbzh9sftg.jpgimage_zpsdmvu3frr.jpgimage_zpsi288mefv.jpg

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Here's a question for Mad Magazine Collectors.  I own a Mad 139 CGC 7.5 Gaines Copy that I bought on a whim for the princely sum of $24 in a Heritage auction in 2004.  Well the book is perfect but for the back fold-in was folded.  The fold's are all non color breaking and, I think, could easily be pressed out leaving a 9.6/9.8.  Does anyone think that pressing is a good idea or does the fact that Gaines himself may very well have done the fold in hold any collecting value?  Not an expensive book but a really iconic cover IMHO.  Fold in was pictured from a raw copy.

I think I'd keep it as it is, and not bother with pressing it, for the simple reason that it is not a high-value book in terms of condition -- but more high-value in terms of it being a Gaines copy. Plus yeah, the fold-in was probably done in-house by Gaines or somebody near 'n' dear to him (or somebody he hated -- either way, it's a plus!).

$24 is a steal. I need a time machine.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

image_zpsbzh9sftg.jpgimage_zpsdmvu3frr.jpg

If you are referring to the photo above, those lines down the back cover look more like the result of humidity than the Fold-In being folded, at least in the light you have illuminated the photo with. I think that's more of a climate issue.

3 hours ago, wpbooks said:

If you are referring to the photo above, those lines down the back cover look more like the result of humidity than the Fold-In being folded, at least in the light you have illuminated the photo with. I think that's more of a climate issue.

Hmmm.  Never thought of that.  Plus the fold-in's didn't have that many folds.  Any Gaines pedigree collectors out there have info concerning  the storage conditions?  Making the pressing decision easier.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:53 PM, ThothAmon said:

Hmmm.  Never thought of that.  Plus the fold-in's didn't have that many folds.  Any Gaines pedigree collectors out there have info concerning  the storage conditions?  Making the pressing decision easier.

It would be amazing to see a fold-in that was designed for that many folds. Even the clever Al Jaffee would have a tough time with that concept, I think.

On 11/7/2016 at 6:43 PM, Doohickamabob said:

Snagged a foreign Mad issue recently: the Portuguese/Brazilian Mad #69. Here it is, and here are a few pages from the "Playbaby" feature article, which is pretty out-there and probably wouldn't have passed muster for U.S. audiences.

166003.jpg.cb8c7bdb56f370776a36e05300ff7d5c.jpg

That's a fabulous cover!

:x

...standard MAD fare.  That is to say, simultaneously literate and utterly juvenile. 

When I was a boy, MAD magazine was influential in shaping  my outlook on the world.  I freely admit to having adopted some key elements of the MAD worldview, as I understand them, namely:  

All people are foolish some of the time.
Some people are foolish all of the time.
Don’t forget to include yourself on that list.
Edited by Hepcat

Why the bloody hell does this stupid damn program not allow me to insert my own words under the above words written by Yossarian?

:frustrated:

In any event, I was going to say that what Yossarian said is very, very true. And that's why Mad magazine stories have aged so very well indeed despite the enormous changes in society that have occurred in the sixty plus years since its inception. Old issues of Mad are not only a window to the popular culture of the time but continue to be relevant and a delight to the very present day.

It's been almost 40 years. This was one of my favorite Mad covers. I have actually decided to send these in to CGC.  Both have a production/ distribution nick on the UL front corner, but otherwise are quite nice.590538e835132_Mad196.thumb.jpg.f88d514823d7618ae0b8c9a95c824c42.jpg

Edited by Ron C.