• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Has anybody picked up the MASSIVE 2 volume set of "The Completely Mad Don Martin"? The books contain all of Martin's drawings that were published by Mad.

Published in 2007, each book runs 500 pages

Donm_danc.jpg

The outside cover of Volume I.

Donm_cvr.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Has anybody picked up the MASSIVE 2 volume set of "The Completely Mad Don Martin"? The books contain all of Martin's drawings that were published by Mad.

Thanks for reminding me. That is a great big WANT for me. I remember seeing them at the bookstore and noting that it cost something like $150, so I blew it off. What are they selling for these days? I'd love to track one down sometime. Don Martin is definitely "Mad's Maddest Artist," and without him I can't imagine the magazine inspiring nearly as much rabid fandom. I'll always remember the sound-effects article, especially the chesty woman unhooking her bra (seen from the back), which sounded something like "*click* ... Blop FLOOBADOOP"

Thanks for reminding me. That is a great big WANT for me. I remember seeing them at the bookstore and noting that it cost something like $150, so I blew it off. What are they selling for these days? I'd love to track one down sometime. Don Martin is definitely "Mad's Maddest Artist," and without him I can't imagine the magazine inspiring nearly as much rabid fandom. I'll always remember the sound-effects article, especially the chesty woman unhooking her bra (seen from the back), which sounded something like "*click* ... Blop FLOOBADOOP"

Your correct on the original cost, it was $150. I was in the right place at the right time. Two years ago around Christmas time I spotted two sets of these at a local big box retailer, on the bargin table. I checked and found the price was $25, and quickly snapped up the second to last copy. You should be able to find these on Ebay. The shipping will be high as these books weigh in at 5 pounds or a tad more apiece, and the book dimensions are 14 x 10 inches. For me Don Martin's stuff was the highlight of each Mad issue. Between the sound effects, Dons original style and great sense of humor, his was the best stuff Mad had to offer.

Your correct on the original cost, it was $150. I was in the right place at the right time. Two years ago around Christmas time I spotted two sets of these at a local big box retailer, on the bargin table. I checked and found the price was $25, and quickly snapped up the second to last copy. You should be able to find these on Ebay. The shipping will be high as these books weigh in at 5 pounds or a tad more apiece, and the book dimensions are 14 x 10 inches. For me Don Martin's stuff was the highlight of each Mad issue. Between the sound effects, Dons original style and great sense of humor, his was the best stuff Mad had to offer.

My hat is off to you except for one thing...you shoulda bought BOTH copies... (And then mailed one of them to me.)

I am going to have to track that down for sure, but like you said, the shipping cost is definitely going to be a factor.

I don't collect Mad's but do hang on to a few here and there.

maddoublecover002.jpg

Sweet copy of that #18.

At one time I contemplated collecting Mad, and do have a few but mostly issues from the 70's. A few years back I decided not to pursue more Mad's, and traded my 30 or so issues from the 60's for Flash #108.

I have to ask, as you survived an attack from a Great White shark. :o (I saw a surfer survive a simultaneous hit from two GW's on the History Channel not too long ago.) Did the Great White survive the encounter with you? hm

I watched a show on the making of Animal House recently. They assembled the cast and let them party on campus for a few days to get into the right frame of mind for the movie. :grin:

The front and back covers of Mad # 207. June 1979

MAD_207.jpg

MAD_207B.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

It's a joke. The face predates Mad and was used to portray insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and rubes since at least 1908.

I am aware of the face predating Mad, etc. and being used in various places. What is the basis for saying this Wurra-Wurra thing is inauthentic? (It looks like it could be a joke, just curious what the backstory to that is -- was it part of a Mad self-parody article, or something like that? The Wikipedia entry doesn't mention it.)

bilde-1-200.jpg

The satire from which that picture came.

http://www.archive.org/download/wurrawurralegend00dunhiala/wurrawurralegend00dunhiala.pdf

And..

http://artoftheprank.com/2008/01/22/alfred-we-hardly-knew-thee/

from the article.....

Hett theorizes that the image’s association with worry (as in Alfred’s motto, “What Me Worry?”) dates to a 1911 book, Wurra-Wurra: A Legend of Saint Patrick at Tara, a satirical tale of how the Irish joined worry societies at which they prayed to their Wurra-Wurra god. Irish immigrants often muttered something that sounded like “wurra-wurra” but actually was a Gaelic plea to the Blessed Virgin Mary, he said.

118889.jpg.edc3ad7ac885bcbdef171c55c8c29554.jpg

118890.jpg.0cd61910b96d2047f4e6aa5c31ffe48e.jpg

Edited by RedRaven