• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

And finishing up with the first three Feldstein edited issues, which have inventory material from Kurtzman still.  I certainly don't dislike the later issues... I've probably got close to 100 scattered issues... but this is the part of the run that I've focused on, and completing the 1-31 run is a major accomplishment in my collecting.

Mad_029.jpg

Mad_030.jpg

Mad_031.jpg

That Jimmy that owned your #1 needs to be strangled...:sumo:

I remember when I first discovered bookstores that sold old comics, and I started buying the Mad comic book issues.  It was so great to own something so old.  It was like going to heaven to see all those back issues in one place.  Today, that magic feeling is gone...replaced with the "fill in the gaps" mentality.  I guess that's what happens when you collect something for over 50 years...Now I just get excited about seeing the pics of what I own in my flickr albums...(shrug):S

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

8 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That Jimmy that owned your #1 needs to be strangled...:sumo:

I remember when I first discovered bookstores that sold old comics, and I started buying the Mad comic book issues.  It was so great to own something so old.  It was like going to heaven to see all those back issues in one place.  Today, that magic feeling is gone...replaced with the "fill in the gaps" mentality.  I guess that's what happens when you collect something for over 50 years...Now I just get excited about seeing the pics of what I own in my flickr albums...(shrug):S

Nah, I'm grateful for him, actually.  If he hadn't abused his copy, my 22 year old, ice cream truck driving self, couldn't have afforded that Mad #1 on layaway 27 years ago.  And while it wasn't the first comic book issue of Mad I owned, it was the book that taught me that not only could I get old comics, I could get KEY old comics.  That book was a revelation to me.  And I am still amazed at the weight of history in my hand when I hold it.  Mad #1 is one of the most important books of the 20th century in terms of the influence it had and what it started.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

#27 is one of my favorites. I could look at it forever. So much detail.

#28 was the last issue I needed to complete my collection. Seems like it took me forever to get it.

Davis was amazing.

Agreed that 28 is slightly trickier than the others; I sometimes wonder if it's the three cover variants so more copies are locked up in collections than usual.  The Guided Missiles is easily the most common of the three, both of the Income Tax Guides are much scarcer.  Not looking to hard for those, but might grab them if I spot them.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Davis was amazing.

Agreed that 28 is slightly trickier than the others; I sometimes wonder if it's the three cover variants so more copies are locked up in collections than usual.  The Guided Missiles is easily the most common of the three, both of the Income Tax Guides are much scarcer.  Not looking to hard for those, but might grab them if I spot them.

I forgot about the variations. I have several copies of that one now. I should check them. The one that is most handy is the guided middle version. 

Over the years I have found many small stashes of early MADs. #28 is nearly always missing. As is #5 in the comic book issues. 

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I forgot about the variations. I have several copies of that one now. I should check them. The one that is most handy is the guided middle version. 

Over the years I have found many small stashes of early MADs. #28 is nearly always missing. As is #5 in the comic book issues. 

What was you opinion of Cracked Magazines.  mr Robot? Did you ever buy those also? I wonder if some of those issues are though too like Mad 28 an 5 ?

One way Mad is relevant today is its ability to teach the younger generation, through lampoon and literary criticism, that times are not so different today. As my man Cat said

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy
To be calm when you've found something going on
But take your time, think a lot
Why, think of everything you've got
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not”. 

BFF520AE-7639-4827-A9ED-5B911E9DE7C4.jpeg

D52B9262-11B4-4D52-89F9-2AA1241E0063.jpeg

On 5/29/2020 at 6:01 AM, FoggyNelson said:

What was you opinion of Cracked Magazines.  mr Robot? Did you ever buy those also? I wonder if some of those issues are though too like Mad 28 an 5 ?

Yes, I liked cracked too but other than the first maybe 25 and then just spotty issues, I stopped. Cracked in general are a lot harder to find. They didn't sell as well and fewer were printed. I really have never met anyone who specificaly collected them.

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

After seeing the nice 28s I was curious to see how nice my 28 was  Not very, as apparently that’s one I’ve missed over the years. The wantlist gets longer. 

971ABE1B-C7BE-4F5A-8304-7C621AB2F5D8.jpeg

You probably got confused by buying two #24s, 25s, and 30s.  :makepoint:  But, the rest of them look real nice...(thumbsu