• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

I have this book for sale in another Thread but I feel it is relevant for this thread. Amazing Wally Wood Cover Art!

IMG_5383.jpg

I love that one, with the incredible detail, both on the inside (Wood) and along the outer edge (Kurtzman).

Just got this guy back from CGC.

MAD #364 Signed by Larry Thomas aka the Soup Nazi

Larry said that he has never signed a copy of this mag before. He told me when he was signing it that the when he saw the cartoon version (Parody) of himself.. was one of his proudest moments of his professional career. He said that to be depicted in a magazine as iconic as Mad, was something he never dreamed was possible when he started acting. Funny, I thought that his role on Seinfeld and his popular saying "No soup for you" has become part of Americana. But he did not seem to agree. he was very humble, and a pleasure to talk to

DSCN1949.jpg

Funny, I thought that his role on Seinfeld and his popular saying "No soup for you" has become part of Americana. But he did not seem to agree. he was very humble, and a pleasure to talk to

So he's not a "close talker" then? That's good. Did he wear a puffy shirt? Anyway, you getting this issue signed definitely gives you "hand" over other Mad collectors here. Do be warned, though: Mads in CGC holders sometimes are subject to shrinkage.

Funny, I thought that his role on Seinfeld and his popular saying "No soup for you" has become part of Americana. But he did not seem to agree. he was very humble, and a pleasure to talk to

So he's not a "close talker" then? That's good. Did he wear a puffy shirt? Anyway, you getting this issue signed definitely gives you "hand" over other Mad collectors here. Do be warned, though: Mads in CGC holders sometimes are subject to shrinkage.

Dont worry I'll just tell my Fiancé that it’s larger than it looks? Like I have not told her that already. :devil:

Just got another #1 foreign-variant issue, this time from Sweden. Not much different about the cover or the insides, except the language, but it's still cool to have. I also have the English and French #1 issues, which are similar and also from 1960 (if memory serves). The really tough one will be the Danish "Gas" variant (who knew that "Mad" in Danish was "Gas"?) as it usually goes for big bucks and, like many of these variants, rarely if ever shows up for auction.

Anyway, here's the #1 Swedish ("Svenska") Mad:

127304.jpg.f564ea49ef6ed67d012d02d14610e78c.jpg

I believe this to be the most desirable of the late 1960s to 1970s Mads. Complete with 6 foot poster.

scan0070.jpg

In my experience, that is the absolute toughest book to find intact, among all the Mad specials.

Other tough ones include the specials with the floppy records (the early ones, like the Worst issue with the Beatles cover), the zeppelin issue, and the mobile (sculpture) issue.

But the full-length Alfred issue is by far the toughest. Imagine how many kids' closet doors and dormitory walls had that poster on them.

Just putting away some stuff and decided to snap some pics of a few Mads. I've shown the foreign issue #1's before, but I've since added a couple to the collection, so here they are again. It will likely be near-impossible to track all of them down.

To begin with, here are the #1's from Britain, France, and Sweden.

127863.jpg.874fb9d50a74eb17697c71849c39f9d9.jpg

I can't remember if I posted this before, but here are the 4 variant covers from the 1997 issue that lampooned Batman. These are all in high-grade (basically near mint)...how much do you think I could get for them? $5 each? Or a MILLION DOLLARS? I am holding out for the million.

127866.jpg.f24e04c9d7d4283a4a08c09fc78c7138.jpg

For some reason I thought it would be a fun idea to hold on to all the Obama covers Mad released. This is not for political reasons (I am nonpartisan) but just because I thought it would be interesting. Unfortunately I have already missed one and don't feel particularly compelled to track it down (though it would probably be easy to do so). But here are the 4 in my collection. No political comments please!

127867.jpg.50efa401b1415322052aca42d5777f57.jpg

Here are two Bush covers that I think go nicely together -- father and son! The issue with Bush Jr. and Alfred's "I'm with stupid" shirt was part of a care package I sent to a friend in Iraq who was stationed at Camp Fallujah. He said he had to keep the cover folded back because it was considered bad form to refer to the Commander in Chief as stupid, even if Alfred E. Neuman was the one making the reference.

127869.jpg.ba58bfa5252eec58f2fc288e08ce43f1.jpg