• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

Here are scans of a few more of my early Mad magazines:

09-09-201264826PM.jpg

09-09-201264830PM.jpg

Note from the back cover that Mad started doing product parodies over ten years before Topps launched its Wacky Packs series of cards/stickers:

09-09-201264833PM.jpg

16-09-2012101440PM.jpg

16-09-2012101454PM.jpg

:cool:

Big mad fan here, trying to put together a 9.0 Average CGC set from 1 to the current issue. have about 174 right now slabbed, what a job this has become. Also collect mad issues signed by significant people on the cover. This is my recent find and hope I can get CGC to encapsulate it even with a no grade, but we'll see.

larry_zps6b3be812.jpg

For some reason the issue of MAD that sticks out in my mind from when I was a kid is the one I had with a blue cover and huge block of ice melting on it. Could you post a pic of that one slabbed if you have it.

That would be issue #49. Why do you want to see it slabbed though?

???

For some reason the issue of MAD that sticks out in my mind from when I was a kid is the one I had with a blue cover and huge block of ice melting on it. Could you post a pic of that one slabbed if you have it.

That would be issue #49. Why do you want to see it slabbed though?

???

You guys seem to slab everything, so I figured that's how you would have it. It doesn't have to be slabbed. Unslabbed, medium rare, no onions would be fine! :flamed:

Here then are scans front and back of three more of my Mad magazines:

27-05-201374245PM_zps11d8d86f.jpg

:juggle:

That's the cover that I mentioned sticks in my mind. I should get a copy of that one and sit on it every time I get hot under the collar and think about getting involved in an argument in the Water Cooler!!! - Mike

Edited by Batko

Hi. It has been way too long since I have been on any message boards and since I am a voracious MAD collector and fan, I couldn't think of a better place to jump back in. I have never posted an image on this forum before, so here goes. I wanted to share some MAD firsts like Doohickamabob did:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This should be the first issue of the Danish MAD from 1962 and the Norwegian MAD from 1971. If they didn't come up, I'm sorry. I am very, very, very rusty. I look forward to being involved again and feeding my MAD cravings.

I have no idea what the heck I did wrong. I have quite a few early foreign MAD editions, both magazines and paperbacks, to share with the forum, but I need to figure out how to post the images correctly. I may need to post the photos to another site like photo bucket or dropbox and try posting them.

If anyone has a clue as to what I did wrong, please let me know!!

Thanks.

Some very funny ads on the back covers, especially #52. The Katzenjammer kids, right down to the old gent in the blue cap with the whiskers( der Captain). :cool: Amazingly the strip began in 1897, and under different artists still continues, also spinning off "The Captain and the Kids" in 1918, which ran until 1979. :o

Sweet copies of those earlier issues too! :cloud9:

Edited by frozentundraguy

These may be of some interest.

Back cover of SOTHEBY'S 1991 Comic Book Auction Catalogue.

9423786496_893f8f3078.jpg

Catalogue cover for SOTHEBY'S 1998 MADsterpieces Auction

9434232025_f6a01e34d5.jpg

mm