• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

I´m too lazy to do this as first option, so I though I might get one of the experts here to help me out before I have to do it.

I´m thinking of selling Brazilian MAD magazines focusing torwards the US market. I think the ones that would have most interest would be the ones with covers not used in the US.

This is where I could use some help, pointing out which ones.

This is the first series published from 1974-1983

http://www.madmania.com.br/ed_vecchi.htm

This is the second series published from 1974-1983

http://www.madmania.com.br/ed_record.htm

Browsing through MAD magazines should be rewards enough :sumo:

But to make things more fun, I´ll be offering this disturbing Mad magazine + free shipping anywhere in the world to the one that commits to help me out with this. :wishluck::banana:

This is mag format, square bound, 50 pages.

I´d grade it at 5.0 - Some waviness/wripples toward the spine

hxtsACY.jpg

5EDJ3We.jpg

Here is an Alfred E. Newman early 1960s 5 1/2 inch bust I recently picked up on eBay.

That's the bomb! I love those. I have lots of Mad stuff but never managed to acquire one of the Alfred E. Neuman busts (there are two different sizes, aren't there? I can't remember which one is rarer). I've only ever seen a few of the straitjackets, either, and it's even harder to find one with the original lock. I understand the cufflinks are the hardest item to find and had the lowest distribution numbers.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten a copy of "Collectibly Mad," which is a pretty egregious gap for a Mad freak like myself.

But to make things more fun, I´ll be offering this disturbing Mad magazine + free shipping anywhere in the world to the one that commits to help me out with this. :wishluck::banana:

I will be glad to help with this project! (That Michael Jackson cover is disturbing.... But disturbing in the way where I want it my collection...)

Interesting about the links you supplied. The site is called MadMania and has a Brazilian ending. These are the same as the CollectMad site in the United States:

http://www.collectmad.com/brazilcoversite/

I'll go through these and try to determine all the "Brazil originals" in the lists. The early issues should be easy for me because I have the U.S. versions memorized several times over. I might have to comb more carefully through the 1990s and 2000s issues, which came after I stopped paying close attention to Mad.

I have to amend my comment about the U.S. site for covers. Something is wrong and all the thumbnails and images are broken. I wonder if the person running the site knows this? I just checked the "about me" page and it appears the site is run by the webmaster for Heritage Auctions. I didn't know that...

I will be glad to help with this project! (That Michael Jackson cover is disturbing.... But disturbing in the way where I want it my collection...)

Interesting about the links you supplied. The site is called MadMania and has a Brazilian ending. These are the same as the CollectMad site in the United States:

http://www.collectmad.com/brazilcoversite/

I'll go through these and try to determine all the "Brazil originals" in the lists. The early issues should be easy for me because I have the U.S. versions memorized several times over. I might have to comb more carefully through the 1990s and 2000s issues, which came after I stopped paying close attention to Mad.

^^

Thanks. Check your PM and send me your address.

I´m only interested in the first 2 Brazilian series and will be happy with the ones you can identify by memory.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Here's the full list! I might have accidentally included an issue or two that have images from U.S. specials or something, but I think most of this should be pretty accurate!

------------------

Brazilian Mads with original cover art:

-----------------------

FIRST SERIES (1974 - 1983): ORIGINAL COVERS

#15 is not an original concept, but the typeface and colors are completely different from the U.S. version (which says "LAST ISSUE"). The U.S. version (#91 from December 1964) had pink letters over a black background.

#69 -- dual cover, both Brazilian originals

#77 -- This concept was used in the U.S. (Mad #160, July 1973), but the characters in the TV were from a different show ("Cannon"). The characters on the Brazil cover are presumably from a popular Brazilian show.

#85 -- This concept was used by Mad way back in 1963, (Mad #83, Dec. 1963 issue). However, it did not have a sultry woman like the Brazil cover does, so this is significantly different.

#88 -- The U.S. version of this cover (#226, Oct. 1981) featured Superman and the three villains from the movie "Superman II." The Brazil version features Spider-Man, and three unknown characters. I am guessing that the change was made because Spider-Man was more popular in Brazil? Or perhaps the Superman movies had not been released in Brazil yet?

#99 -- This concept was used on U.S. issue #191 from June 1977, but for the Brazil version it has been significantly changed/updated with a person standing beside the ransom note. Is that a Brazilian politician?

#101 -- Though similar in color scheme and typeface to U.S. Mad #221 from March 1981, the message is clearly different. Perhaps the joke just didn't seem like it would go over well in Brazil. The U.S. version says "Mad magazine shortage coming," etc., and the Brazil version says something about upcoming elections and candidates.

------------------------

SECOND SERIES (1984 - 2000): ORIGINAL

COVERS

#1 -- This re-uses the concept from U.S. Mad #157, March 1973, which showed an ape from Planet of the Apes removing a rubberized Alfred E. Neuman mask. For the Brazil version, Alfred E. Neuman is removing a rubberized mask of what appears to be a Brazilian political figure.

#8 (Menudo!)

#20 -- same as U.S. Mad #263 from June 1986, but the Brazilian version is more disturbing because of the addition of mosquitos on Alfred's face.

#28 -- reuses the concept from U.S. Mad #151 from June 1972, but changes color from blue to a sickly pink/orange.

#29 -- AIDS cover! This would not have gone over well in the U.S.

#30 -- reuses the concept from U.S. Mad #255, June 1985, but replaces Ronald Reagan with a Brazilian politician.

#33 -- same concept as U.S. Mad #273 from Sept. 1987, but replaces Pee-Wee Herman with what appears to be a Brazilian pop star or celebrity.

#38 -- I don't recognize this as a U.S. concept, but it's a not-very-interesting text cover, so even if it's original, it might not be very appealing to collectors.

#48 -- Alfred wearing full-body condom. This would be considered too risque for a U.S. cover.

#51 -- same concept as U.S. Mad #161 from Sept. 1973. Might be of interest because that U.S. Mad cover is considered one of the most iconic Mad covers from the 1970s, and one of the few from that era not to feature Alfred's face.

#54 -- Same concept as U.S. Mad #287 (June 1989), but U.S. version had Roseanne Barr, and this Brazil version has a Brazilian celebrity or something.

#68 -- This is funny, because the #15 issue of the First Series of Brazil Mads also used this concept. (See the first entry in this list.) However, this is the first time the Brazil Mad completely copies the Mad typeface and colors from the 1964 original U.S. version.

#71 -- Another "pulling off the mask" cover (see comments for Second Series #1 above), but with a different politician or celebrity.

#80 -- Same concept as U.S. Mad #309 (March 1992), but completely different characters (probably Brazilian TV celebrities or pop stars?).

#81 -- that crazy Michael Jackson cover you posted!

#83 -- same "barf bag" concept as U.S. Mad #312 (July 1992) but with different politician. U.S. version had George H.W. Bush and was based on an incident where he actually barfed on a foreign dignitary (the Japanese prime minister?).

#107 -- "Transexuals!"

#109 -- another "pulling off the mask" cover

#111 -- Bingo balls coming out of Alfred's tooth gap? Weird...

#124A

#131 -- big butt image...

#131 -- same "gay marriage" concept as Mad #357 (May 1997), but with different celebrities.

#132 -- these four variants were all used in the U.S., but might be of interest because they don't have the yellow border, and also: How hard would it be to obtain four variants that are foreign issues? Seems pretty difficult to me...

Not a 'MAD' fan tbh - but I did pick up a big box full in an estate sale last week.

All Australian Mads, and Super-specials.

Very Australian-centric (obviously) so highly doubtful if there would be much interest outside Australia.

P2200003_zpsytjmy8wq.jpg

P2200002%202_zpseqrvr5r3.jpg

P2200002_zpsdipuxasv.jpg

If you guys haven't checked it out yet, there is a thread in the Golden Age section entitled "My 50 year junk obsession". The OP has started showing off some of his non-magazine Mad-related items (starts on pg. 83). It's a great thread from start to finish if you like seeing pop culture items of all types, but I thought the Mad stuff would be appreciated by this crowd.

Here is an Alfred E. Newman early 1960s 5 1/2 inch bust I recently picked up on eBay.

That's the bomb! I love those. I have lots of Mad stuff but never managed to acquire one of the Alfred E. Neuman busts (there are two different sizes, aren't there? I can't remember which one is rarer). I've only ever seen a few of the straitjackets, either, and it's even harder to find one with the original lock. I understand the cufflinks are the hardest item to find and had the lowest distribution numbers.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten a copy of "Collectibly Mad," which is a pretty egregious gap for a Mad freak like myself.

The MAD busts are not all that rare (no matter what size). They are 3.5" or 5" high. There is also one in between that is from Sweden. Several variations and even bootlegs. I would say the straight jacket is the rarest MAD item or maybe the charm braclet. I've never owned either one. I have had 3 pairs of cuff links over the years. The T-Shirt is also very hard.