• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Mad Magazine collectors?
10 10

1,272 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2017 at 7:58 PM, Doohickamabob said:

I've been organizing some stuff, including putting magazines in better-quality slipcovers and backings. I had a lot of my magazines in the cheaper poly-sleeves with the cheaper backings, but I decided I'd better play the long game and get them the best archival material I could. So I got a bunch of acid-buffer backings, and thick mylar sleeves, and I'm putting several sheets of microchamber paper in the magazines. Especially if they're extra-valuable, or if they seem musty/smelly/acidy.

Anyway, while organizing, I snapped some photos. Nothing new here, but the photos are new. Here are my issues of Mad #24. I hoarded four of 'em.

mad24-three.jpg

mad24-graded.jpg

I zoomed in on a bunch of theses early Mad borders and there a lots of neat things to see

On 10/22/2017 at 6:19 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I zoomed in on a bunch of theses early Mad borders and there a lots of neat things to see

Yeah, I should scan a cover and post some close-ups. It's interesting that several of the Mad rip-off magazines used similar borders (such as early Cracked issues). I wonder if Mad itself was copying the border style of some earlier publication?

On 10/14/2017 at 2:05 AM, Phantalien said:

Those borders really made the magazines stick out.  The art was great and there were so many little things hidden in it.  Plus I am pretty sure that the art in the border changed somewhere around issue 26 or 27.  I do wonder who did the artwork for the border, I always just guessed it was Will Elder.

The borders from #27 on are signed "Kurtzman and Elder" (bottom left).  I would assume the same for the earlier ones...

A check of the exceptional covers posted by Tri-ColorBrian, shows that issue #26 was the last with Socrates, Napoleon, Freud, and Marilyn Monroe on the top border. After that it was art, literature, drama, and music. Only Alfred and his  "what me worry" caption in the middle remained unchanged. The rest of the border also changed, I'm just using the top border as an example.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:12 PM, Ron C. said:

It's been almost 40 years. This was one of my favorite Mad covers. I have actually decided to send these in to CGC.  Both have a production/ distribution nick on the UL front corner, but otherwise are quite nice.590538e835132_Mad196.thumb.jpg.f88d514823d7618ae0b8c9a95c824c42.jpg

That's my favorite Mad cover from the 70's.  (thumbsu I have a couple of copies, but not in HG.

Thought I would re-post a Mad or two, since P.B. extorted us several months ago.

Issue #86 featured the first fold-in.

From the Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Fold-in

"Mad Magazine publisher Bill Gaines joked that he was a fan of the Fold-In because he knew that serious collectors valued pristine, unfolded copies, and would therefore be inspired to purchase two copies of each issue; one to fold and another to preserve intact."

scan0181.jpg

21 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Thought I would re-post a Mad or two, since P.B. extorted us several months ago.

Issue #86 featured the first fold-in.

From the Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Fold-in

"Mad Magazine publisher Bill Gaines joked that he was a fan of the Fold-In because he knew that serious collectors valued pristine, unfolded copies, and would therefore be inspired to purchase two copies of each issue; one to fold and another to preserve intact."

scan0181.jpg

First appearance of fold in ‼️‼️?

On 11/9/2017 at 1:41 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Not exactly a fold-out. lol

Just a bit of foxing on this one, otherwise pretty nice.

scan0187.jpg

King Kong cover is so great those were the glory days of Mad‼️